• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2023-24 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My knowledge of Massanutten is about ten years old, several years before some of the nice improvements I saw today, new trails, new mid-mtn lodge. But the chair (6) serving the best terrain used to always be lightly utilized even on crowded days. I wonder if that was the case last year and could be the case on Jan 2?
I see they added a different back way down from the summit runs so we don't have to skate down Southern Comfort to get to the base lodge anymore.. We'll chat more over the break and see who's doing what. We might just hit the closer place with the Parkers on the 2nd or 3rd if they're going there. Friday the 5th works best for the rest of you, no worries!

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Anybody else prefer 2nd or 3rd?
I can't do the 3rd and the 2nd is just too close to the 1st. I've also penciled in the 4th to go with the 5th. I don't have a preference on which hill(s), other than making a decision with enough time to find a room.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I wish I could join you all, but over 4 and a half hour's drive makes it too far for a day trip. We might attempt Timberline sometime next week if conditions hold. A 3 hour drive is on the edge of my tolerance for day tripping but a few times a year I'll make the drive. We are heading for the DC area for Kathy's family Christmas gathering next weekend. We will pack our ski equipment and hit either T-line or Seven Springs on the way home.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
I see they added a different back way down from the summit runs so we don't have to skate down Southern Comfort to get to the base lodge anymore.. We'll chat more over the break and see who's doing what. We might just hit the closer place with the Parkers on the 2nd or 3rd if they're going there. Friday the 5th works best for the rest of you, no worries!
I think you're talking about a new trail called Ridgecrest that connects from part way down Paradice trail (Peak detachable quad chair trail pod) to the upper part of Showtime (Ridge triple chair trail pod)? One of my lift rides yesterday was with a ski patroller. He actually highly praised the Ridgecrest trail at length. It's just a short intermediate connector trail, but importantly it now allows you to easily alternate skiing the best advanced runs at Massanutten. You can ski back and forth from the Peak chair (#6) to the Ridge chair (#5) without messing with the flat runout down by the base lodge complex and getting involved with the crowds and beginners down by the base lodge.

Here's a photo looking at Ridgecrest trail from Showtime trail.

20231208_112231.jpg

The patroller said new intermediate trail Mueller's Mile from the peak is a bit tougher than it looks from afar, some of the curves get a bit steep.
Here's a photo of Mueller's Mile trail.
boarder muellers mile.jpg

He also said in one respect he's not too thrilled about another new run planned to open this winter under the peak chair called No Hesitation. It will be the steepest run on the mtn and could be a place that will keep patrollers busy this winter with mishaps/accidents. Lift poles run up the middle of this trail.
Here's a photo of No Hesitation trail in center.
no hesitation.jpg

Link to Massanutten trail map.

Last edited:
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
He also said in one respect he's not too thrilled about another new run planned to open this winter under the peak chair called No Hesitation.
Here's another pic of that showing a little more of the steep top part...

Massanutten 010722 020 ACR Conv.jpg

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I could join you all, but over 4 and a half hour's drive makes it too far for a day trip. We might attempt Timberline sometime next week if conditions hold. A 3 hour drive is on the edge of my tolerance for day tripping but a few times a year I'll make the drive. We are heading for the DC area for Kathy's family Christmas gathering next weekend. We will pack our ski equipment and hit either T-line or Seven Springs on the way home.
My current plan is to hit TM on Friday the 15th. Day trip - no season pass for me this season, will get 1-2 days there before heading West.

Way early, but Open Snow showing some tastiness next Sunday/Monday. 10 days out… so grain of salt.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
It sucks living where we do from any kind of day trip perspective. Closest place is Wintergreen and that's 3:45 to 4hrs. I've done it twice and while I had plenty of fun skiing in the end just not worth it:( And now at my advanced age of 29 (numerous times mind you) I'm not sure I could ski more than 1/2 dozen runs just after driving 4 to 6hrs.

Anyway maybe one day this season I'll blow the money on a couple nights at a Super 8 or Laquinta and Michel and I will join you peoples. Have fun everyone!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It sucks living where we do from any kind of day trip perspective. Closest place is Wintergreen and that's 3:45 to 4hrs. I've done it twice and while I had plenty of fun skiing in the end just not worth it:( And now at my advanced age of 29 (numerous times mind you) I'm not sure I could ski more than 1/2 dozen runs just after driving 4 to 6hrs.

Anyway maybe one day this season I'll blow the money on a couple nights at a Super 8 or Laquinta and Michel and I will join you peoples. Have fun everyone!
Agreed. 40s driving 4+ hours to ski 3-5 hours and drive 4+ home was a piece of cake. Now it's more like drive 3, ski 2, drive 3.. I will say it's better with a co pilot to talk to than solo these days too. I'd do the four hour drive with the kid along. Solo, prefer the 3 hour trip to a smaller resort.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm in the same boat...closest is 3-1/2 minumum. So EVERY ski day gets at least one night in a hotel factored in. Did an out and back once last year (that was the year end meet-up at App)...was having a hard time staying awake by the time I got to Winston-Salem.
Biggest problem is the cost...in the Boone NC area, weekend rates are typically 50% higher than mid-week, and even those are $100+ per night. It looks like Harrisonburg VA is quite a bit more reasonable

I do miss being around 30 minutes from all the Pocono areas....but after skiing them for 40+ years, they got to be a bit boring. SO I probably would be in the same situation, driving 3+ hours to somewhere I haven't skied before (or as much, anyway...)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm in the same boat...closest is 3-1/2 minumum. So EVERY ski day gets at least one night in a hotel factored in. Did an out and back once last year (that was the year end meet-up at App)...was having a hard time staying awake by the time I got to Winston-Salem.
Biggest problem is the cost...in the Boone NC area, weekend rates are typically 50% higher than mid-week, and even those are $100+ per night. It looks like Harrisonburg VA is quite a bit more reasonable

I do miss being around 30 minutes from all the Pocono areas....but after skiing them for 40+ years, they got to be a bit boring. SO I probably would be in the same situation, driving 3+ hours to somewhere I haven't skied before (or as much, anyway...)
Ya also when the kids were little we would stay at the Super-8 in Boone the night before Appy skiing. The drive is not so bad with kid back from college.. Lots to talk about and pass the time.. But solo.. yawn..

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Apparently that Super 8 is now a Graystone Lodge, and the rates are on par with other hotels in Boone. There doesn't seem to be any "cheap" options in the Boone area

MarkP

Skier
Well, I still have a key for Casa de @jimmy … Unless he wised up and changed the locks.

Mid Jan for heading out to SLC. Still working - two more years - so lots of stuff to balance.

Will likely check out Schweitzer the following winter.

Schweitzer is nice. My next time out there I plan on adding a few days at Red Mountain up across the border.

MarkP

Skier
Same drive time versus slope time woes.

My rough rule is I should be able to get more ski time than round trip drive time. With the SkiLittle3 within 1.5hrs each way, that's not a problem... assuming they're open.

Those Were the Days (All in the Family theme)... when I didn't mind getting up 4-dark-early, drive solo 4+ hrs, ski all day and drive back. Now I'm okay with bending the rule (I did 6hr round trip driving to get 4 hrs skiing at Blue Mountain on Saturday) occasionally or just overnighting to get in a 2nd day to get that drive/ski ratio reasonable.

Sponsor

Staff online