• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordic 2023-24 World Cup, Nordic

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. Just watched Sunday's 20k Women's Free from Ruka. That last lap was a nail biter! And lip biter!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Kinda disappointment noone cares enough about yesterday's Gus Schumacher's victory in Minneapolis to post it here :) He's only third US male skier (Hoffman's "time of the day" in pursuit race doesn't really count as victory) who managed to win WC race, and it seems this is much bigger deal all over the Europe then in USA.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Kinda disappointment noone cares enough about yesterday's Gus Schumacher's victory in Minneapolis to post it here :) He's only third US male skier (Hoffman's "time of the day" in pursuit race doesn't really count as victory) who managed to win WC race, and it seems this is much bigger deal all over the Europe then in USA.

We mostly couldn't watch it. Not joking.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I heard this from quite few. If I somehow get this (I still don't understand it) for international races, I really don't get it for "home" races.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and one of my sons were at Saturday‘s WC race thanks to pre-planned visit to my in-laws. Sounds like an amazing atmosphere and legitimate rave reviews from competitors (including Euros). Last minute snowstorm to help with venue appearance definitely was Icing. Certainly has my kids fired up for upcoming Vermont Nordic High School championships and being part of Team Vermont for Regional U16 races.

Given success of this race, women’s alpine race at Killington, etc. makes me wonder why there aren’t more World Cup/FIS races in the U.S. U.S. Teams aren’t dominant force but we can sure put on a good, commercially successful show!

And big, big kudos to Gus for win on home soil and inspiring so many young U.S. Nordic Groms……

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I heard this from quite few. If I somehow get this (I still don't understand it) for international races, I really don't get it for "home" races.

Because it's home, we should be motivated to pay extra? If we don't want to, well that just means the audience isn't worth their time.

#capitalismlogic

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
No I didn't mean that. I meant actually quite the opposite, that I maybe understand to pay extra for international races, but for home races there really shouldn't be payment at all even less extra one.
But it's pity, for skiing and for your guys who are doing really good. Especially as audience on site was crazy. Sure it was just on tv for me, so it's impossible to compare this with real life experience, but I would say it looked more or less as Holmenkollen. This one I saw in real life several times, and going on course there, even just as serviceman was insane experience. And on tv Minneapolis looked very much the same, except for much shorter course (Holmenkollen was 10k loop at those time).

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
My wife and I caught the Nordic races during 2002/SLC Olympics and she said the crowds and energy in Minnesota this weekend beat it. I’ve never been to another nordic race of that caliber so not sure how it does or does not compare to Euro WC events. It also doesn’t hurt that most Minnesotans are Norwegian and/or Swedish and entry to race was free. Hopefully we’ll see more of this in the future….

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I caught the Nordic races during 2002/SLC Olympics and she said the crowds and energy in Minnesota this weekend beat it. I’ve never been to another nordic race of that caliber so not sure how it does or does not compare to Euro WC events. It also doesn’t hurt that most Minnesotans are Norwegian and/or Swedish and entry to race was free. Hopefully we’ll see more of this in the future….
I heard over $100 for tickets, not quite free…

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
I heard over $100 for tickets, not quite free…
Nope. There were free tickets over summer and at least on Saturday you didn’t need a ticket for entry. Totally free for my wife and son (who didn‘t have tickets) and anyone else that showed up. The “free” part didn’t seem publicized but we got instead scoop from cousin of one of the U.S. Men’s athletes.

And the 2002 Olympics definitely weren’t free if that was what you meant. But Nordic was by far the lowest cost ticket of any event.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It was very exciting.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, having expectations about media coverage of XC skiing in the US is like having expectations about media coverage of mah-jong, or children's badminton. The sport has about that level of presence in the public consciousness. Remember: Texas.

Sponsor

Staff online