• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 4FRNT MSP 99

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Moment does demos out of their factory in Reno. The 4FRNT MSP CC is a 99 that's designed for a lighter skier.
@Andy - good to know about Moment's offer; I wonder if they ever set-up in Truckee or at Palisades. I'll look into this....
RE; the MSP CC; I'm a male and my ego has a problem buying women's specific skis.....I'm working on it.... ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy - good to know about Moment's offer; I wonder if they ever set-up in Truckee or at Palisades. I'll look into this....
RE; the MSP CC; I'm a male and my ego has a problem buying women's specific skis.....I'm working on it.... ;)
Honestly, the graphics on the CC are darn near the same as the MSP 99. When they're covered in snow you'll never know!

Moment does occasionally set up at Mt. Rose. At least they used to.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I'm very interested in this ski. One big concern I guess is if it will be too demanding for me given the "who it's not for" category: I'm 5'7 140lbs...so I'm light. Hmm?

These smaller brands, 4frnt, ON3P, J Skis, Moment, don't have demo days or a fleet out so it's all reading and drawing Comparisions to bigger name skis. For example, I have Rustler 10's that I love (but are beat up now); I have Rustler 11 that are great for the right conditions. LOVE my Stockli AR.
Phil if you need another reviewer just let me know. That way, I could endlessly demo skis . . .
also, normal speed is the bigger factor of stiffness, what length would you ski in this, CC only comes in 171 and below. I am 160lbs and ski slowly, and find this one a nice flex while skis like the bonafide/mantra etc end up being too stiff for me in the right length.
W

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
My update. Spending the week in Vail and have encountered nearly every condition except rain. I love these skis. I think the right word is Unflappable. Soft bumps, hard bumps, soft crud, hard crud, steep ice, rutty grooming, high speed carving... anything. But not ultra chargers, still friendly. And I never see anyone else with them. I see Bent 100s everywhere, not these.

(ps. Vail mountain does not suck).

Last edited:

skijacksonhole

Booting up
Skier
View attachment 185587 Philpug: The MSP 99 is the cornerstone of the MSP collection. MSP is a moniker for Matt Sturbenz Pro, the founder of 4FRNT back in 2003. It has been awhile since I have been on a 4FRNT ski, and if I recall correctly, it was the MSP 99 that I was on. I do remember that it left a favorable impression on me even then.

Fast forward to today. 4FRNT sent us the new MSP 99 in a 181, which is an ideal size for me in a 99 mm ski with this shape: a longer gradual tip, some taper, and a bit of rise in the tail. Its overall dimensions are 134-99-122, producing a radius of 18 meters in the 181, which felt pretty accurate on snow. The MSP was fairly relaxed, yet carved the groomers quite well. I want to address the dimensions a little bit more: Most of the skis in the 98-100 mm range are pushing closer to 140 mm in the tip, so 4FRNT's 134 mm tip should feel GS-ish, but it doesn't. It was playful, so don't get hung up on the numbers.

View attachment 185589

The factory tune of the 99 was very good. The edges were a solid 1-ish on the base and 2-ish down the side. The base finish didn’t have as much structure as some skis, but it had no waves either. One of the pitfalls of a die cut logo in the base is the creation of some roughness around the edges, and that was prevalent on (all of) the 4FRNTS. Some might lament over this, and while it might keep you off of the podium on the next World Cup gauge where gliding is the key to winning, for you, me, and anyone who is considering a 99 mm ski, it should be a non-issue. In addition, the mount point was perfect and right in line with most other skis in this class.
View attachment 185588
Testing conditions were ideal at Mt. Rose, or should I say the snow conditions were ideal: dry chalky leftovers with a blown-in refresh. It was the 40 MPH winds that tested the conditions. If I was to use one word to describe the MSP 99, it would be predictable. It did everything I asked of it without fanfare, in a solid, stable, and planted manner. The 4FRNT is closest to the heavier skis than the weight savers in this class, and that mass holds the ski to the snow and doesn’t allow it to get pushed around.
  • Insider Tip: With the MSP 99 and a few of its MSP siblings in our Long Term Fleet, expect updates throughout the season.
  • Video Review to be posted soon.
Excellent review. I own the MSP107 two years now, and it's my favorite ski. I go to it more than my Kastle Fx96 Ti on most days. Planning on buying the MSP99 this summer. I want something a little narrower than the 107 on packed powder days/trees that gives me some additional turning capabilities in those areas/conditions. Just have to figure out the length... I ski the 107 in the 181 (69", 160lbs), but considering the 176 in the MSP99 as a shorter possibility. I'll probably end up with the 181. I think 4FRNT makes GREAT skis, they do everything well, in all conditions/terrain.

Whitepine

Booting up
Skier
I'm very interested in this ski. One big concern I guess is if it will be too demanding for me given the "who it's not for" category: I'm 5'7 140lbs...so I'm light. Hmm?

These smaller brands, 4frnt, ON3P, J Skis, Moment, don't have demo days or a fleet out so it's all reading and drawing Comparisions to bigger name skis. For example, I have Rustler 10's that I love (but are beat up now); I have Rustler 11 that are great for the right conditions. LOVE my Stockli AR.
Phil if you need another reviewer just let me know. That way, I could endlessly demo skis . . .
Tahoe warrior - try theMSP 99 CC. I am male, 5’5”, 120##s and I have these in 162cm. They work great for me.

CrystalSkier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Yep, so true. My thought is I’d like to try it with one layer. I’m a better ice skier than mogul skier.
If I am not mistaken, a ski with one layer of metal becomes a bi-metal spring so when the temperatures change, the camber changes shape unless you have other materials on the other side of the core
to counter the change. This is called equalibrium in the layup. Correct me if I am wrong.

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Had my first full day on the 99s this weekend. Really really like this ski ...it's just playful enough and has a confident feel , smooth and quiet but not dead .

more to follow after a few more days
But I like this one a lot .

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Got,another few days on the 99s in Utah with boot top and chop and a relatively soft day in Vermont. Really impressed with this skis balance of stability with a bit of fun…has energy and stability ….does not ski heavy like my kendo’s …

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
If I am not mistaken, a ski with one layer of metal becomes a bi-metal spring so when the temperatures change, the camber changes shape unless you have other materials on the other side of the core to counter the change. This is called equalibrium in the layup. Correct me if I am wrong.
I have no other info. On skiing at Winterpark 3 weeks ago, they feel heavy on the walk, but fine on the snow. I could probably use a little more agility but they're keepers. Fortunately WP trees are mostly widely spaced, I only got in trouble once!

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
And after a week at Tahoe in highly variable snow... still a thing of beauty in my eyes. And I only met one other person on them.

Sponsor