• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 4FRNT MSP 99

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0496.jpeg
Philpug: The MSP 99 is the cornerstone of the MSP collection. MSP is a moniker for Matt Sturbenz Pro, the founder of 4FRNT back in 2003. It has been awhile since I have been on a 4FRNT ski, and if I recall correctly, it was the MSP 99 that I was on. I do remember that it left a favorable impression on me even then.

Fast forward to today. 4FRNT sent us the new MSP 99 in a 181, which is an ideal size for me in a 99 mm ski with this shape: a longer gradual tip, some taper, and a bit of rise in the tail. Its overall dimensions are 134-99-122, producing a radius of 18 meters in the 181, which felt pretty accurate on snow. The MSP was fairly relaxed, yet carved the groomers quite well. I want to address the dimensions a little bit more: Most of the skis in the 98-100 mm range are pushing closer to 140 mm in the tip, so 4FRNT's 134 mm tip should feel GS-ish, but it doesn't. It was playful, so don't get hung up on the numbers.

IMG_0499.jpeg

The factory tune of the 99 was very good. The edges were a solid 1-ish on the base and 2-ish down the side. The base finish didn’t have as much structure as some skis, but it had no waves either. One of the pitfalls of a die cut logo in the base is the creation of some roughness around the edges, and that was prevalent on (all of) the 4FRNTS. Some might lament over this, and while it might keep you off of the podium on the next World Cup gauge where gliding is the key to winning, for you, me, and anyone who is considering a 99 mm ski, it should be a non-issue. In addition, the mount point was perfect and right in line with most other skis in this class.
Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 3.52.04 PM.png

Testing conditions were ideal at Mt. Rose, or should I say the snow conditions were ideal: dry chalky leftovers with a blown-in refresh. It was the 40 MPH winds that tested the conditions. If I was to use one word to describe the MSP 99, it would be predictable. It did everything I asked of it without fanfare, in a solid, stable, and planted manner. The 4FRNT is closest to the heavier skis than the weight savers in this class, and that mass holds the ski to the snow and doesn’t allow it to get pushed around.
  • Insider Tip: With the MSP 99 and a few of its MSP siblings in our Long Term Fleet, expect updates throughout the season.
  • Video Review to be posted soon.

Awards
Who is it for?
Chargers and confident skiers that ski more off piste than on but don’t want to sacrifice groomer performance.
Who is it not for?
I think lighter skiers could get bucked around a bit, but this is why 4FRNT offers their Contoured Core (CC). While these might be marketed to a woman, a lighter guy would be well off considering it.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 176, 181, 187
Dimensions
134-99-122
Radius
18m@181cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Ski Weight:
2050g@181cm
Binding options
  1. Flat

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Never having skied a 4FRNT before, I really had no preconceived notions about how the MSP 99 would perform in the chopped up left over storm snow we experienced at Mt. Rose. Nothing, including the groomers, was really consolidating so the bumps, trees, and groomers were all skiing...softly. The 99s were easy to pivot and turn in the bumps and carved really nicely with very little deflection going over the wind blown small whale backs. Though they aren't a super light ski by any means, they felt lively and poppy while retaining a solid, comfortable feel while running straight on the groomers. Though the groomers were easily edged, the skis felt like holding on much harder snow would be no issue. With a nice long rise in the tip and a bit in the tail, matched with camber underfoot, the 99s performed well in all the snow I had to ride that day.

The top sheets are a nice semi-gloss with a muted wood/rock motif that looks great. As @Philpug noted, the bases didn't have any particular special grind but were flat with no feeling of base high or edge high antics. For a stronger skier looking for a very capable and comfortable ski in the 100mm range, the MSP 99 should definitely be on the radar. 4FRNT has done a very nice job with this ski.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Real time update from Durhams cheapest ski shop.

Moving preferred bindings from kanjo to MSP. Ordered new wider brakes. Meanwhile putting spare bindings on kanjo. Kilowatts just there for reference.

if you can’t ski the next best thing is … and then the next best thing is working on skis.

5F6500B3-3CB0-48E9-9FAB-E4089AFDB192.jpeg

Last edited:

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last one. Donor skis finished. Waiting on new brakes.

603D0674-1995-415C-A73B-C865B3F28887.jpeg

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Tester:
technically pretty solid, ski at moderate to slower speeds, not overly dynamic, but ski most/all conditions with flow and purpose, 160lbs, 5ft 11, skied the 181.

Phil wrote a few things in his review, like "predictable", no fanfare, just solid,
and 134 tip, that all interested me, (I have a somewhat narrow stance, and 138tips can clang together, so 135 tends to be my max).
so, i demoed these with a few others the last few days... and I fell in love with this 4ftnt! They remind me of of the ease off piste of my original kastle fx95, with the easy feel of turn entry along with seamless release, but they have more shape and camber in the mid ski, so are more fun and engaging, and also a bit softer, while still being solid feeling.
All in all, one of the most well balanced skis I have ever skied!
From that balanced comment, I need to go back to the release, so many of these newer design skis release easily out of turns, but with that, they can also feel a bit "washy" and less solid when finishing a turn, this one has a solid turn finish, but blends it with a super PREDICTABLE release, in bumps, scraped out snow, powder, everything I tossed at it, solid fun, easy predictable, neutral, lovely, yippee!

My old ski test piece, skiing chute 75 at PallyVally (Palisades, olympic valley, aka SV), it often has scraped out hard snow near the top, even on pow days, steep fun sluff in the middle and big bumps in the bottom, a great ski needs to create belief up top, not skidder around on the ice and create worry, but then feel some float, shapely fun and ease in the middle dream snow, and be quick edge to edge in the finishing bumps, and of course, carve turns well on the mtn run back to the chair, this one is so good in all those spots!

I'll add more, but I wanted to get this out there in case people are considering it,
I am a picky one, just ask Phil, and I tend to change, but stay within brand feel "a lot", but, this one was so good, I bought one today. It will be my 1 ski quiver going forward, which is what I've been looking/hoping for, as most of my skiing will traveling after this year.

It is just really freaking good!

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tester:
technically pretty solid, ski at moderate to slower speeds, not overly dynamic, but ski most/all conditions with flow and purpose, 160lbs, 5ft 11, skied the 181.

Phil wrote a few things in his review, like "predictable", no fanfare, just solid,
and 134 tip, that all interested me, (I have a somewhat narrow stance, and 138tips can clang together, so 135 tends to be my max).
so, i demoed these with a few others the last few days... and I fell in love with this 4ftnt! They remind me of of the ease off piste of my original kastle fx95, with the easy feel of turn entry along with seamless release, but they have more shape and camber in the mid ski, so are more fun and engaging, and also a bit softer, while still being solid feeling.
All in all, one of the most well balanced skis I have ever skied!
From that balanced comment, I need to go back to the release, so many of these newer design skis release easily out of turns, but with that, they can also feel a bit "washy" and less solid when finishing a turn, this one has a solid turn finish, but blends it with a super PREDICTABLE release, in bumps, scraped out snow, powder, everything I tossed at it, solid fun, easy predictable, neutral, lovely, yippee!

My old ski test piece, skiing chute 75 at PallyVally (Palisades, olympic valley, aka SV), it often has scraped out hard snow near the top, even on pow days, steep fun sluff in the middle and big bumps in the bottom, a great ski needs to create belief up top, not skidder on the ice and create worry, but then feel some float, shapely fun and ease in the middle dream snow, and be quick edge to edge in the finishing bumps, and off course, carve turns well on the mtn run back to the chair, this one is so good in all those spots!

I'll add more, but I wanted to get this out there in case people are considering it,
I am a picky one, just ask Phil, and I tend to change, but stay within brand feel "a lot", but, this one was so good, I bought one today. It will be my 1 ski quiver going forward, which is what I've been looking/hoping for, as most of my skiing will traveling after this year.

It is just really freaking good!
Wow. Sold!

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm really glad to see the @WadeHoliday review. I loved the original MSP and these don't feel as nimble in my hands, but will be in rado next week to finally try them out - stoked!

@mods -- I posted those shop photos from my iPhone, did not realize they were going into the main review thread so feel free to remove them. eeek. sorry.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
So, 2 weeks now, pow, bumps, groomers, a couple of hours a day, and this ski is shaping up to be my favorite ski, period. It just works, holds well when asked like a narrower ski, drifts across thicker snow like a wider ski w/o metal, and the camber and shape under foot continue to engage me on access groomers.
Compared to 2 of my favorite skis of all time, original kastle MX 98 in a 174 and 2nd Kastle fx95 in a 181, This one is more fun then both of those on moderate terrain, as easy and flexible to turn shapes and tactics as fx95, while being softer and a bit more playful than both. Sure, I'm a bit older and even less aggressive than when I skied those skis, and maybe I'm a bit of an outlier, but I am amazed this ski hasn't gotten more attention, of course, some of it may be the tune, thx to Phil and skitalk shop, just a super predictable 1degree side 2 degree base that understands my input well!
current comparisons, enforcer 100, bonafide, volkl m6 with 3d sidecut, etc, each of those had things that didn't work well for me, volkl being closest to great for me, but it was not as quiet/damp as I like.

1 other quick update, as Phil mentioned in "who it's not for", with the 2 layers of metal, it can get demanding for lighter skiers (me), especially if the pilot is a bit off, as I was the last couple of days, including in this vid clip below with low light and mixed snow.. its just key to have a good move to stay near the middle, with the good camber and metal, getting aft is less than ideal..

Cheers!

MPS99, windpack over icey bumps

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve said it in other places…..this ski has been on my radar for years. Rode one a long time ago just for a couple runs. I didn’t have near the experience I do now. I liked it then. I’ve been on 4Frnt’s mailing list ever since. I guess I just had to get the Atomic Vantage 95, RENOUN Z-90, RENOUN Endurance 98 (ver 1 and the latest) and Nordica Enforcer 100 out of the way first. Now I have the Lusti CWR95 to run through its paces……. This ski will eventually make it into the stable. It’s definitely one I want to contrast against the Endurance, Enforcer, and CWR95. As of now the new version of the Endurance is my best 95-100 ski. The CWR’s get their first trials soon. I’ll definitely have the MSP by next season. I’ve already swapped the 1st Endurance, the Enforcers, and the Atomics over to demo bindings. They exist in the loaner/nostalgia ride fleet. I’m gonna swap the Z’s over to demos next as soon as I grab a new front side ski which will be an AX or an AM77 or both.

Anyway, I’m digging the reviews here. Very happy to see 4Frnt finally make the test fleet here.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cannot add any more expertise here so consider this an average Joe POV.

Skied 5 days in Crested Butte staring with 11” fresh and then 4 straight sunny days. The ski is Strong all over. Floats pow, crushes chop and crud, rails ice. It works in moguls but I would not say it’s quick. They feel relatively heavy but turn easily. On day 5 the international slope had turned hard to ice but somewhat surprisingly these sticks stuck it like pros!!! Wow!! The only con really is the weight but I’ll keep them as long as I can.

Last edited:

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I cannot add any more expertise here so consider this an average Joe POV.

Skied 5 days in Crested Butte staring with 11” fresh and then 4 straight sunny days. The ski is Strong all over. Floats pow, crushes chop and crud, rails ice. It works in moguls but I would not say it’s quick. They feel relatively heavy but turn easily. On day 5 the international slope had turned hard to ice but somewhat surprisingly these sticks stuck it like pros!!! Wow!! The only con really is the weight but I’ll keep them as long as I can.

nice, great to hear it!
I guess I"d point out that many of those positives you just mentioned probably have to do with a solid wood core and 2 layers metal.. and weight... light is so often a negative. Glad your enjoying your new toys!
cheers!
W

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
nice, great to hear it!
I guess I"d point out that many of those positives you just mentioned probably have to do with a solid wood core and 2 layers metal.. and weight... light is so often a negative. Glad your enjoying your new toys!
cheers!
W

Yep, so true. My thought is I’d like to try it with one layer. I’m a better ice skier than mogul skier.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is good to get our MSP99's back in our stable after @WadeHoliday commandeered them for a few weeks. Since his new pair just arrived he returned ours while I mounted his up with some Strive 14's that I will say look oh so good.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm very interested in this ski. One big concern I guess is if it will be too demanding for me given the "who it's not for" category: I'm 5'7 140lbs...so I'm light. Hmm?

These smaller brands, 4frnt, ON3P, J Skis, Moment, don't have demo days or a fleet out so it's all reading and drawing Comparisions to bigger name skis. For example, I have Rustler 10's that I love (but are beat up now); I have Rustler 11 that are great for the right conditions. LOVE my Stockli AR.
Phil if you need another reviewer just let me know. That way, I could endlessly demo skis . . .

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm very interested in this ski. One big concern I guess is if it will be too demanding for me given the "who it's not for" category: I'm 5'7 140lbs...so I'm light. Hmm?

These smaller brands, 4frnt, ON3P, J Skis, Moment, don't have demo days or a fleet out so it's all reading and drawing Comparisions to bigger name skis. For example, I have Rustler 10's that I love (but are beat up now); I have Rustler 11 that are great for the right conditions. LOVE my Stockli AR.
Phil if you need another reviewer just let me know. That way, I could endlessly demo skis . . .
Moment does demos out of their factory in Reno. The 4FRNT MSP CC is a 99 that's designed for a lighter skier.

Sponsor