• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2023 Atomic Redster Q9.8 vs 2023 Rossignol Experience 86Ti

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Rossignol-Experience-86-vs-Atomic-Redster-Q9.8.png

The Rossignol Experience 86Ti is now starting to get the attention it deserves in the mid 80-something range of a ski and it's about time. This new Rossignol Experience takes the best of the previous generations of Experiences and makes an extremely versatile ski. The Atomic Redster Q9.8 is the epitome of a wide narrow ski, because it takes much of its DNA from Atomic's Redster race skis, but it has a wider waist.
  • Why choose the Redster Q9.8: You are looking for that nth degree hard snow performance in a mid 80 mm chassis.
  • Why choose the Experience 86Ti: Versatility is the Rossignol's middle name. Plus if you are looking for a ski in this range that you can buy sans binding system, few are better than this.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So why would one want such a wide hard snow/groomer ski as the Q9.8?
Can it do something better than the narrower, more dedicated hard snow skis?

Because if the Q9.8 is anything like the S/Force Bold, it will be highly capable off piste by strong drivers. I’d routinely ski the Bolds into moguls, steeps, chutes, 6 inches of fresh, and 4 inches of mank. Last season I definitely took them more off trail then on.

My only reservation with the Q9.8s is the tight radius. I decided against the Q9.8, instead getting a backup pair of Bolds. But if this season’s reviews continue to look good, I’m all in.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It certainly seems very different, and not in direct competition with, the 86Ti.
( I gotta give that 86Ti a try!)
We have had this type of ski for a while. More stable and predictable for intermed to advanced skiers for days when the groomed are a mix of ice and pushpiles.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It certainly seems very different, and not in direct competition with, the 86Ti.
This video explains the reason for a narrow/wide ski nicely

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've understood the concept, guess I needed to make my question more spelled out, sorry. My problem is that standing so close to the Frontside bias skis and near race skis, how does each particular brand entry into this "wide narrow ski" category - to use your terminology - add to what the normal, narrower frontside bias ski can do, if anything?

Seems like, for some, the S Force/Bold adds a lot off piste, as do for me many of the narrower Head eSpeed Supershapes.

The answer with the previous WB Atomics to that question, for me at least, was, "very little to nothing."
How about the Atomic Q9.8?

With the previous Atomic "wide body" entries, in particular, in mind, for me there was a real question in this regard. Those previous more "wide/narrow skis," the "WB" Atomic skis, for me, sort of missed the boat in this regard, sort of like the Maverick 88Ti also: the things on edge stuck like glue to the slopes - great in this case on groomers, not so much off piste - just very 2 dimensional, mostly. 2 dimensional bias seemed sort of a liability off piste, often, with that last year's WB Atomic ski. For me then, a "one run and done" ski.

So is the Q9.8 the same type of ski as the previous Atomic Wide Bodies, or not? If not, how is it different? Like a race ski, does it lack the 3D feel and dampening for off piste, uneven terrain, etc., to make it more versatile? (What does it actually add to the narrower, frontside bias versions?)

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
(What does it actually add to the narrower, frontside bias versions?)

The ability to platform like a narrow ski in denser, wetter, chalkier or styrofoamier snow, where those same narrower skis might have trouble cutting down to the underlying hardpack.

A lower sensitivity to small lateral balance issues.

Less chance of tip or tail diving or cutting into, getting trapped by, random piles of snow. Hence, easier steering when those are about.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. It makes sense that those might - or even should - be the case.

But are these benefits just generally ones for wider skis that carve well, or are you saying they apply well to this specific ski,
the Q9.8, in your own experience
?

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own and love the 86ti. If you're a decent skier it's astoundingly versatile. Nothing like a race ski IMO.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks. It makes sense that those might - or even should - be the case.

But are these benefits just generally ones for wider skis that carve well, or are you saying they apply well to this specific ski,
the Q9.8, in your own experience
?

I never got on the Q9.8; the platforming part does imoe apply to the Q7.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Softball. Wide groomer skis are for wide groomers. I could elaborate, but for a change I won't.