• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Atomic X9S

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug
Size tested: 175cm
Location tested: Snowbasin, Ut
Conditions tested in: Groomed old snow

“Crabcakes and Football — that’s what Maryland does.” Well, “race skis and speed — that’s what Atomic does.” The 65 mm /15 m-ish skis have become the new hard snow ski of choice for those who want to lay it over but not on Every. Single. Turn. With that said, the X9 is one of the stronger skis on this class and one of the most tenacious. Don’t worry: It still can be relaxed on. You can still let the tail release and the ski does not question you in the process; it will just say under its breath, “OK, you owe me one.”
  • Insider tip: Now with a GripWalk compatible binding. Actually, they got a bit lucky, the binding has always been GW compatible, just never labeled.
  • One thing I would change: Stop the madness; shouldn’t Redster be … you know … red?
Ron
Size tested: 165cm
Location tested: Loveland, CO
Conditions tested in: Firm groomers

The new Redster from Atomic now sports a dual radius turn, but slalom ski fans should not be concerned. The X9 was super smooth, solid and fast on the firm snow. All that you are expecting is here; lightning quick edge-to-edge, immediate tip engagement with the ability to rip out longer radius turns with the dual radius. Slightly easier than a full-on FIS ski, you could ski this more than a couple hours.

Rudy Riet
Size tested: 175cm
Location tested: Snowbasin, UT
Conditions tested in: groomed natural and manmade snow, softpacked crud

Why change a good thing? A true adult combi ski (i.e. the ski that most junior racers start with, one that’s a slalom sidecut in front of the binding toe and a GS sidecut behind the heel) that’s still playful and willing to fulfill the slice-and-dice wishes of a strong pilot who’s versed in modern carving technique. This ski will rip any turn shape, short to long. The switch from Servotec to Revoshock isn’t overly evident in terms of feel and this is a good thing. This is the ultimate coaching ski, and a ski that strong pilots will be able to use to great effect on any groomed, hardpacked, or icy piste. If you prefer to let the ski drive you, be forewarned: this ski doesn't really play that game.
  • Inside tip: If you prefer slalom turn shapes, go shorter. If you like to mix in GS turns, go longer.
  • One thing I’d change: While I’m partial to the lime green color scheme, it’s a REDster…

Awards
Who is it for?
Carvers, beer league racers and technical skiers. Hard snow aficionados that are looking for a bit of versatility when the conditions get a little choppy.
Who is it not for?
Folks who want a racing-inspired ski that’ll handle softer snow and crud - the Q9.8 is the ski for that. Lighter skis can get bucked from this one. Bring your A or at least, your B+ game.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
167, 175, 183
Dimensions
114-65.5-99.5
Radius
15.2m@175cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. System
Last edited by a moderator:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice to see a true combi again , I’d almost forgotten about them .

Sponsor