• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Augment All Mountain 98 Ti

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They share a lot of properties…The biggest difference I felt is the AM98 floats so much better than the Enforcer 100 in fresh snow.

Some pics of the rockerprofile. Compared to Enforcer 104/179. Not shure if the tip is the same as Enforcer 100. Enforcer has more tip splay but AM98 has deeper rockerlines. Tail of the 104 is obvious far more rockered but as far as I can remember the Enforcer 100 tail is about the same as AM98.

Wow, that's some deep rocker. Augment trying to one-up ON3P. It's interesting that in skiing we equate rocker to float, where as the original rocker (surfing) is for better turning, not planing (float).

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
It is a good carver, but only in relation to the other skis in that class. Because of the rocker it does not carve the full length, but the middle of the ski is still enough torsionally that this does not become an issue. Don't look down though, the tips are vibrating a bit through the turn, but that has not effect on the way the ski feels. The only 100mm ski that out-carves the AM98 is my Kastle MX99, the Mantra M6 I tried comes close. Kastle and Mantra are losing to AM98 in versatility and Mantra in damping. Mantra wins on price :).

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Am I understanding it correctly that there is an 88 underfoot version of the AM 98 Ti in addition to the AM 88C? I think I’ve seen some reference to it but can’t find much if any info on it. Thanks

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Am I understanding it correctly that there is an 88 underfoot version of the AM 98 Ti in addition to the AM 88C? I think I’ve seen some reference to it but can’t find much if any info on it. Thanks
There is rumors of one coming but have yet to see it. Could be supply chain issues, not sure.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only 100mm ski that out-carves the AM98 is my Kastle MX99, the Mantra M6 I tried comes close.
I guess this also comes down to the type of carve and tuirn shape you are looking for. The Augie has a shorter built in turn than the Kastle, not that one is right or wrong or better or worse, jsut what you are looking for. The skis really are so different they could coexist in the same quiver.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
How do folks feel about the recommended mount point? It looks to be about 2cm back from the true center (measured from contact point to contact point). Do you take the recommendation with a grain of Austrian salt, and mount a bit forward?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do folks feel about the recommended mount point? It looks to be about 2cm back from the true center (measured from contact point to contact point). Do you take the recommendation with a grain of Austrian salt, and mount a bit forward?
What size? I can double check what we have ours at.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With no change to the 2023 model and Augment not being in the US this coming season, I updated the title and added a review video in the initial review.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Given the dearth of responses, I ended up mounting the 179s about 1 cm forward of the recommended boot center mark. Time will tell if that was a good decision.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whew three pages in and I'm here for a ...
Long term update:
Finally getting some snow in the Sierra and decided to take out the AM98 at Alpine Meadows today. As noted in earlier posts, this ski has so much versatility built into it that it can serve as a powder ski as well as a dailiy driver.
With 6-8 inches of fresh on the ground, which quickly got tracked out, the AM98 blew through the chopped snow, and was super manuverable in the bumps. This is a ski that continues to blow my mind as much as it blows through the crud.

IMG_3380.jpeg

scb

Booting up
Skier
had the am98 187 out at Winter park last week for 4 days. on the final 2, we had fresh snow, with ~6 inches or so on wed. loved the ski everywhere, including on Drunken Frenchman and other bump runs

I think I prefer my old Stormrider 95 184cm when it comes to pure speed and bombing down, but the AM98 is probably the better all around-er

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Found the Van Deer version of this ski at a steal. It will be replacing my Stormrider 105 (2020 version @ 188cm) as my all mountain ski. It will be 70% focused on off piste. I tend to seek out interesting terrain (steep chutes with technical entrances or exits, think stuff under the supreme lift at Alta). I have a few questions before I pull the trigger:

1. I like a ski with a bit longer of a turn radius. 19m in the 188cm seems a bit short to me. Do folks find that it overturns in 3D snow?
2. I like a tail that is strong and supportive to help keep me out of the back seat, but something that also releases easily/smears in tight terrain. Do folks find that they can smear the tail in tighter spots?
3. Augment made versions with different stiffness profiles correct? Did Van Deer do the same?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Found the Van Deer version of this ski at a steal. It will be replacing my Stormrider 105 (2020 version @ 188cm) as my all mountain ski. It will be 70% focused on off piste. I tend to seek out interesting terrain (steep chutes with technical entrances or exits, think stuff under the supreme lift at Alta). I have a few questions before I pull the trigger:

1. I like a ski with a bit longer of a turn radius. 19m in the 188cm seems a bit short to me. Do folks find that it overturns in 3D snow?
2. I like a tail that is strong and supportive to help keep me out of the back seat, but something that also releases easily/smears in tight terrain. Do folks find that they can smear the tail in tighter spots?
3. Augment made versions with different stiffness profiles correct? Did Van Deer do the same?
Any left or did you get the last one? Love the 108, thinking of getting the 98 too.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Any left or did you get the last one? Love the 108, thinking of getting the 98 too.
They are holding the last one for me. Debating on pulling the trigger.

Latest hang up for me is the weight - looks like the 187cm comes in at 2100g - still a great charger though right? The reviews here make it seem like this ski eats crud for breakfast but I’ve been on skis that weighed similar and got pushed around a bit.

Sponsor