• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2023 Augment - Van Deer/Redbull Sports AM98TI vs 2023 Kastle MX98

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thats what we have on ours. GOOD (Other that Sth2 13's are being discontinued ;) )

What is the difference between MNC and WTR? MNC I know but what does WTR stand for? It seems the 13 WTR are still available here and there.

P.S. Never mind. Walk To Ride. Must be Gripwalk compatible...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the difference between MNC and WTR? MNC I know but what does WTR stand for? It seems the 13 WTR are still available here and there.

P.S. Never mind. Walk To Ride. Must be Gripwalk compatible...
Technically WTR and GW are different but MNC will accommodate both.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
What is the difference between MNC and WTR?
I know you are not asking this but with the WTR version of the STH2, you have a higher delta in the binding, something like 5 to 6mm. The MNC one is 3.5mm.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know you are not asking this both with the WTR version of the STH2, you have a higher delta in the binding, something like 5 to 6mm. The MNC one is 3.5mm.
On the later 16's, not the 13's

James

Out There
Instructor
Didn’t you say it was much improved?
Hmmm… You’re right! I just looked. You’re memory is better than mine! The newer one is much better.
But…why would you put that on a 98mm ski? The tip off is having to go to basement level 4 of the out building to find the brakes that fit. (The guy with the stapler is down there)

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm… You’re right! I just looked. You’re memory is better than mine! The newer one is much better.
But…why would you put that on a 98mm ski? The tip off is having to go to basement level 4 of the out building to find the brakes that fit. (The guy with the stapler is down there)
I think it approximates all the benefits of Pivot (short mounting distance, high elasticity, metal toe) while fixing most Pivot problems (brakes retract better, easier to step in in deep snow, better brake width options, non marring metal cup, greater adjustment range, no rotating heel failure modes). So it baffles me why Look doesn’t provide the brakes. Heck, they don’t even provide a mounting jig. Maybe they are just paralyzed by the ongoing success and demand for Pivots. It must be the enhanced safety of the rotating heel. (Sarcasm)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it approximates all the benefits of Pivot (short mounting distance, high elasticity, metal toe) while fixing most Pivot problems (brakes retract better, easier to step in in deep snow, better brake width options, non marring metal cup, greater adjustment range, no rotating heel failure modes). So it baffles me why Look doesn’t provide the brakes. Heck, they don’t even provide a mounting jig. Maybe they are just paralyzed by the ongoing success and demand for Pivots. It must be the enhanced safety of the rotating heel. (Sarcasm)

Maybe they don't want to cannibalize the sales of Pivots, who knows. I absolutely love the SPX 15 and would really like to see them come with wider brakes.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
:ro
It must be the enhanced safety of the rotating heel. (Sarcasm)

That line :roflmao:

Maybe they don't want to cannibalize the sales of Pivots, who knows
Probably, but I bet with the right marketing strategy they'll have a lot of new diehard followers with the SPX. The pivot fan base will still be here for years to come and continue the cult(people are not that easy to change their preferences) That's how I see it... Might be wrong opinion as well.

James

Out There
Instructor
I bet with the right marketing strategy they'll have a lot of new diehard followers
It’s Look. Strategy?
Heck, they don’t even provide a mounting jig. Maybe they are just paralyzed by the ongoing success and demand for Pivots. It must be the enhanced safety of the rotating heel. (Sarcasm)
I think paralyzed is the operative word. Deluded, zombified.
Like how they can’t manage to put the stainless insert into the pole divot on Pivots to keep the binding from looking like a rat chewed it. But somehow, they manage this on the Spx?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid