• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2023 Augment - Van Deer/Redbull Sports AM98TI vs 2023 Kastle MX98

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cage-match-MX98-vs-AM98Ti.png

This is a heavyweight Cage Match between two premium contenders. While Augment is on hold in the states, they are still being offered in other markets (at this point), both under the Augment branding and VAN DEER/Red Bull. The Kastle MX98's well-earned position in the market as one of the reference skis in this category speaks for itself. Watch the video and see which you think would be better for you.
  • Why choose the AM98 Ti: You are looking for an off-piste biased 98 that excels in versatility.
  • Why choose the MX98: You are a charger who prefers wind buff and wants to let the ski run. The Kastle is the epitome of a wide narrow ski.

Last edited by a moderator:

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Ah, the cage match I was hoping for. Any pointers on how to score either the VD-DB or Augment versions, or is this just a dream matchup? :D

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only difference between Augment skis and Van Deer skis that I can see is the sidewall material. Augment uses melamine sidewalls and Van Deer ABS, as melamine sidewalls are harder (Shore D 87) than ABS sidewalls (Shore D 67) Augment skis might be a bit stiffer.

The Augment AM 98 seems to have been dropped for 2022/23 https://augment-sports.com/collections/all-mountain and Augment skis no longer seem to be available in different flexes.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only difference between Augment skis and Van Deer skis that I can see is the sidewall material. Augment uses melamine sidewalls and Van Deer ABS, as melamine sidewalls are harder (Shore D 87) than ABS sidewalls (Shore D 67) Augment skis might be a bit stiffer.

The Augment AM 98 seems to have been dropped for 2022/23 https://augment-sports.com/collections/all-mountain and Augment skis no longer seem to be available in different flexes.
I have been told by my connections that Augment will be continuing on as a brand. As far as different flexes, that I am not sure about.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
They have to keep the brand going for as long as they take part in racing as the FIS Specifications for Alpine Competition Equipment require that “Competition Equipment is effectively offered on the market to end users".

They also seem to have dropped direct sales, ALPINA SPORTS Austria has been appointed as their Austrian distributor, they probably didn’t want to handle different flexes.

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
It seems that now Augment offers the 78 and 88mm whiles the VDRB has the 98 and 108 widths. Personally, I really like the graphics of the 108 from VDRB.
This week i received a pair of 98ti from 21 and the color looks better in pictures than in real life :D
Weird two-tone of gray top sheet. But I am really looking forward to skiing this medium flex(5) 179cm.

@Philpug, i know you've been suggesting the look pivot but what about the spx15 rockerace on the 98ti?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They don't come with brakes that wide.
Oh, but they do…

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They don't come with brakes that wide.

Oh, but they do…

The don't come with the wide brake, but they are available seperate. Idealy find a shop that will swap you ... but that migth be tough.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, but they do…

If you are referring to this thread here:

For me the brakes are as good as unavailable. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Triplet

Chasing the perfect fit, ENTP :)
Skier
Oh, but they do…

I got the idea from here, honestly haha