• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sponsored 2023 Blizzard Hustle 10 Ski Review with SkiEssentials.com

https://www.skiessentials.com/

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So here we go. Blizzard and Nordica are my current favorite big-brand manufacturers. Is this series kinda like the Nordica Unleashed series? Slightly lighter, more playful versions of the Enforcer and Rustler lines?

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the point of these?
What are they targeted at?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
They are 50/50 touring skis like the Enforcer Unlimited series. Similar skis to the regular Rustler(or Enforcer) lines but without metal for easier touring without being too light for resort use.

Unleashed are the freestyle, twin tip line with less metal(one partial sheet) vs the 2 of the Enforcer. Also have higher splayed tips/tails, less rocker and less taper than the Enforcer Free line. High hopes on the Unleashed 108 as it should out carve, out grip the Enforcer and like speed a bit more.

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
So here we go. Blizzard and Nordica are my current favorite big-brand manufacturers. Is this series kinda like the Nordica Unleashed series? Slightly lighter, more playful versions of the Enforcer and Rustler lines?
It's more aligned with the Nordica Unlimited skis than the Unleashed skis. Very similar concept. Take existing shapes and give them lighter construction with more emphasis on carbon.

That's kind of the big question and it's created an interesting conversation both internally, between us and Blizzard, and with the public. When they were first announced, the emphasis was squarely on touring. So much so that Blizzard contacted us about our product description as it mentioned skiing them in the resort too. Since then, we've talked a lot about it, and ultimately we feel like they're more 50/50 skis than pure touring skis. Great ski for a Shift or Duke PT, but we think it would be perfectly reasonably even to put an alpine binding on them for someone who prefers lighter and/or more energetic skis, or say someone who has skied a Rustler and thought they were a bit too heavy.

James

Out There
Instructor
Seems like bindings like the Solly Strive are meant for this category used non touring.

WNDR calls their skis backcountry. The Vital 100 is 1850 gms at 183cm.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I don't know about who Blizzard intends for them to be targeted at - but they're really nice for not-so-strong, not-so-fast skiers to adapt their turn shape to spring morning refreeze.

Specifically - herself was much better balanced and much more in control on the Hustle than the Rustler during Snowshoe demo day, especially on shade ice and when transitioning from shade ice to sun soft.

*shrug* I couldn't find anything anywhere about the line ( I apparently even had a surplus r on the name) and the rep had nothing for me on availability so she wound up with a pair of Ogso Diables in that same slot, looking for a similar fiberglass/wood/nottoomuchcarbon springy suspension feel.

Her '18 Ranger 98s are going to the swap.

Last edited:

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's kind of the big question and it's created an interesting conversation both internally, between us and Blizzard, and with the public. When they were first announced, the emphasis was squarely on touring. So much so that Blizzard contacted us about our product description as it mentioned skiing them in the resort too. Since then, we've talked a lot about it, and ultimately we feel like they're more 50/50 skis than pure touring skis. Great ski for a Shift or Duke PT, but we think it would be perfectly reasonably even to put an alpine binding on them for someone who prefers lighter and/or more energetic skis, or say someone who has skied a Rustler and thought they were a bit too heavy.

It would be great to better define "touring". Touring is a very wide category, going from occasional sidecountry all the way to uphill racers! Generally, I am thinking of the touring skis category starting at a surface-to-weight ratio around 1-1.1 cm/g. Personally, I am not really looking for something above 1.2. I am heavy, I like the down, and a few less grams on my feet won't make me any faster uphill... I am just slow! :)

The Rustler 10 has a S/W of 1. The Hustler, if it is exactly the same shape, would be at 1.12. This is a relatively "heavy" touring ski. The Zero G 105 is around 1.3. The lightest skis that we measured have surface-to-weight ratio of 1.5 cm/g. Pick what you like!

Why does Blizzard want them to be known as "touring skis"? Are they getting rid of the Zero G? Are they softer in torsion? Is it a heavier Zero G (i.e., also with carbon stringers and softer in torsion), a lighter Rustler (i.e., stiff in torsion) or something in between?

That will be fun to measure!

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be great to better define "touring". Touring is a very wide category, going from occasional sidecountry all the way to uphill racers! Generally, I am thinking of the touring skis category starting at a surface-to-weight ratio around 1-1.1 cm/g. Personally, I am not really looking for something above 1.2. I am heavy, I like the down, and a few less grams on my feet won't make me any faster uphill... I am just slow! :)

The Rustler 10 has a S/W of 1. The Hustler, if it is exactly the same shape, would be at 1.12. This is a relatively "heavy" touring ski. The Zero G 105 is around 1.3. The lightest skis that we measured have surface-to-weight ratio of 1.5 cm/g. Pick what you like!

Why does Blizzard want them to be known as "touring skis"? Are they getting rid of the Zero G? Are they softer in torsion? Is it a heavier Zero G (i.e., also with carbon stringers and softer in torsion), a lighter Rustler (i.e., stiff in torsion) or something in between?

That will be fun to measure!
I believe that what both Blizzard and Nordica are doing with these models is a wee bit confusing and these are two of the most successful big brand manufacturers of the last 15 years. There is some real overlap here and I'm already trying to decipher this as a dedicated Nordica and Blizzard fanboy.

I love my Enforcer Frees..but there are days they are just more work than I want. I'm looking for a 100ish ski that has many of the attributes of that ski and maybe the Rustler 10 that's a wee more playful and..dare I say "fun"? Something more surfy with less metal...wondering if the Hustler or the Unlimited are that ski?

Reactions: BMC

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I love my Enforcer Frees..but there are days they are just more work than I want. I'm looking for a 100ish ski that has many of the attributes of that ski and maybe the Rustler 10 that's a wee more playful and..dare I say "fun"? Something more surfy with less metal...wondering if the Hustler or the Unlimited are that ski?
Unleashed 98 is your ski! One partial sheet of metal vs the 2 full sheets in the Enforcer and a better shape I think than the Enforcer for carving. Won’t be “more surfy” though than the Enforcer but your Enforcer is pretty surfy if the bases are flat.
If you want even more surfy than a properly tuned Enforcer 104 with less metal, than the M-Free 99 is your ski. VERY surfy especially in soft snow but edge grip and carving performance takes a hit if that’s important to you.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm looking for a 100ish ski that has many of the attributes of that ski and maybe the Rustler 10 that's a wee more playful and..dare I say "fun"? Something more surfy with less metal...wondering if the Hustler or the Unlimited are that ski?
You could check out the Dps Pagoda 100rp. An amusement park full of shapes in one ski.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unleashed 98 is your ski! One partial sheet of metal vs the 2 full sheets in the Enforcer and a better shape I think than the Enforcer for carving. Won’t be “more surfy” though than the Enforcer but your Enforcer is pretty surfy if the bases are flat.
If you want even more surfy than a properly tuned Enforcer 104 with less metal, than the M-Free 99 is your ski. VERY surfy especially in soft snow but edge grip and carving performance takes a hit if that’s important to you.
"Surfy"..may have been the wrong word. "Playful" and lively I think this the word. Unleashed does look like a fun ski. The 2 sheets of metal really does make the 104 Free a VERY stable ski and it carves real well for a ski of that size but it comes at a price like all performance tradeoffs. I do like edge grip and decent carving performance out of my skis b/c...well...every day aint a powder day. Gonna give the Unleashed 98 a serious look.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone ski the Moment Commander Tour?
Though tour is questionable at 1800gms in a 176. Two layers of metal though, 104 under foot. I’m guessing it would be fine in the PNW. Relaxed and playful not so sure.

@locknload , consider the WNDR Vital 100 too. You can choose cambered or reverse.
Review:

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It's more aligned with the Nordica Unlimited skis than the Unleashed skis. Very similar concept. Take existing shapes and give them lighter construction with more emphasis on carbon.

It seems perfect as a 50/50 ski with a heavier touring capable binding like the Shift or Duke or even one of the burlier pin AT bindings available. These skis look very similar to the Black Crows Navis (which I own and have been using for years) but with a bit more forgiving feel and dampness.

James

Out There
Instructor
The biggest question is when are we going to get an updated or alternate Shift type binding? From the fragility overall and stupidity of the Shift’s afd your choice is the boat anchor of the Marker PT Duke.

ATK should hire a designer or buy a design and then destroy the field. But they’re not really a binding company and it’s much more involved than touring.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ski the Moment Commander Tour?
Though tour is questionable at 1800gms in a 176. Two layers of metal though, 104 under foot. I’m guessing it would be fine in the PNW. Relaxed and playful not so sure.

@locknload , consider the WNDR Vital 100 too. You can choose cambered or reverse.
Review:
Ok..will check it, James..thx!

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid