• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Blizzard Rustler 10

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Winks
Size tested: 172cm
Location tested: Sugarbowl
Conditions tested in: Cold wind buffed chop

Back when the original version of the Rustler came out, my eyes lit up because I was so excited to see an everyday ski over 100 that was a directional twin with a bit of metal in it. When I got my first pair I abused them to really find out where the faults were, and for a while I couldn't find any. Over time, I noticed this weird wandering feeling that made me lose a bit of confidence at speed. Fast forward two seasons and the Rustler went through some minor tweaks, one of those tweaks was the addition of a thicker piece of metal underfoot which was intended to quiet that unsettling feeling I mentioned before. I never felt the need to test the skis again based on the adjustments because I felt like I had a pretty good handle on how they skied. After meeting up with my Local Rep, I decided to re-visit the Rustler, and to my surprise I sort of fell in love all over again. The new changes are quite good, I ended up having the ski out most of the day and wasn't ready to give it back. Edge hold was fantastic, the unsettling weird teeter totter feeling was gone and they were just as playful in the tip and tail as I remember. Sometimes change is needed, and this time it proved to be just right.

Blizzard’s Rustler series is for those who don't need to grab the bull by the horns on a daily basis. I encourage everyone have this type of ski in their quiver, even if it‘s something a bit wider for use in the trees or the fresh pow!
  • Insider tip: Relax a bit, you don't need to drive this ski so hard.
  • One thing I would change: A little stiffer in the tip could help reduce visual tip chatter.
From previous seasons...

FairToMiddlin: I was gaga over the Rustler 10 last year, and this year, Blizzard told us that it increased the wood core thickness by 1mm, gave it a new top sheet, and called it a day. So, all the loveliness from the original, with a supposed higher top speed, what’s not to like? Sorry to say, Blizzard didn’t seem to care if we found out. The pair handed to me easily wins the award for Most Appalling Tune this year. The base-high contour of the bottom robbed the ski of all the snappy responses its shape is capable of, and it skied nothing like the stellar pair I had last year. Only in very soft snow (or mindless straightlining, which I had to resort to) was the flex able to poke its nose past the unresponsiveness of the tune and reveal a bit more beef underfoot. The increase in stability is there, but wasn’t game changing, and I wouldn’t encourage anyone to ditch their current 10s.

So (combining this, and last year’s more actionable test): in either current or future form, the Rustler 10 is a hugely talented ski: its shape offers quickness in hard or soft snow, the medium/soft flex lets the driver easily select a variety of turns, and the construction offers enough beef to motor through crud at an amusing speed. I still want a pair.

Stephen: The Rustler 10 was my second favorite of the day -- mainly because I felt that it is a cross between the playfulness of the Tracer 108 and the business side of the Invictus 99Ti. I can see this being a great ski for a one- or two-ski quiver. Just add a carver for a 2SQ or stick with it through everything: it holds the snow well enough to carve a bit and make it through chop but also easily handles a bit of powder. I was impressed.
  • Insider tip: Don’t judge this ski by its predecessor.

Awards
Who is it for?
Those seeking a wider daily driver that has a lot of versatility. A lot of people. Those looking for a wider, do-it-all ski. Off-piste aficionados who want to make all kinds of turns.
Who is it not for?
Big-mountain chargers will be better served with the Cochise. Those with a larger quiver. There are other skis that excel in the different areas.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
133-102-122.5
Radius
17.5m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Winks have you been on the new redesign 24 version?

Yes I have, still working on my review for it. What I can tell you is that I like the changes. I had an early video review of it but just found out I had technical errors and my audio didn’t record.

I promise to have more information soon!

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
Yes I have, still working on my review for it. What I can tell you is that I like the changes. I had an early video review of it but just found out I had technical errors and my audio didn’t record.

I promise to have more information soon!
@Winks what is your height/weight?

I bought the Rustler 9 a couple years ago and love them for East & West skiing in all conditions. We just got back from Utah and I skied them in deep powder all week and was thrilled at how they performed. It left me thinking how much more I would have enjoyed the 10 or 11. Do you think the 10 would be a good western do-it-all ski or should I consider the 11? I am 5-10/158# & I prefer off-piste, trees and staying away from the crowds. I do have a 6yo son who I ski with on-trail about half the time too. Thanks!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Winks what is your height/weight?

I bought the Rustler 9 a couple years ago and love them for East & West skiing in all conditions. We just got back from Utah and I skied them in deep powder all week and was thrilled at how they performed. It left me thinking how much more I would have enjoyed the 10 or 11. Do you think the 10 would be a good western do-it-all ski or should I consider the 11? I am 5-10/158# & I prefer off-piste, trees and staying away from the crowds. I do have a 6yo son who I ski with on-trail about half the time too. Thanks!

The 10 is the most versatile for sure but I have skied the 11 as a daily ski in Mammoth a few summers back and it holds up great. If you ski any of it on piste I think the 11 will be overkill in the end.

To answer your question though I’m 5’7” about 155# and I ski the 170ish lengths.

Evan's Dad

Evan's Dad :)
Skier
The 10 is the most versatile for sure but I have skied the 11 as a daily ski in Mammoth a few summers back and it holds up great. If you ski any of it on piste I think the 11 will be overkill in the end.

To answer your question though I’m 5’7” about 155# and I ski the 170ish lengths.
I am likely going to pick up the R10s, but the length increments are giving me a headache. If they offered the R10 in ~175-178 it would be a no-brainer. I am 5-9 and 158# and ski the R9 in 172 which works very well for me. I think the 180 would be fine given the tip/tail rocker, but I have also skied powder skis on cat skiing trips at 168-172 (cat outfit provided skis) and they were fine. I have made the mistake of buying too-long skis before (high-cambered/non-rockered) so I don't want to go down that road. I am an advanced skier and ski most of the mountain except for the gnarliest of chutes and tightest of trees. What do you think, 172 or 180? Thanks!

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am likely going to pick up the R10s, but the length increments are giving me a headache. If they offered the R10 in ~175-178 it would be a no-brainer. I am 5-9 and 158# and ski the R9 in 172 which works very well for me. I think the 180 would be fine given the tip/tail rocker, but I have also skied powder skis on cat skiing trips at 168-172 (cat outfit provided skis) and they were fine. I have made the mistake of buying too-long skis before (high-cambered/non-rockered) so I don't want to go down that road. I am an advanced skier and ski most of the mountain except for the gnarliest of chutes and tightest of trees. What do you think, 172 or 180? Thanks!

Tough answer, you’re at the size where you can go either way. I would say if you like your Rustler 9 at the 172cm then stick with that size. Don’t worry about any added tip and tail rocker. I never size up unless I absolutely need to. When I owned the entire Rustler series I had them all in the 170ish size and never thought twice about it.
Hope that helps!

Sponsor