• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Blossom AM77

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've only very recently heard of the Blossom AM77.. for the East coasters, were you able to find them around locally for demoing? I don't think I've ever seen Blossom at a demo day I've done but would love to check them out.
Blossom is a Direct to Consumer brand and does not do demos as Tony says...
All the east coast "demos" that I'm aware of have taken the form of friends borrowing from friends.
Premier skis does have a very strong Satisfaction Guarantee that if you don't like them you can return them ... which I am not aware of anyone from this site ever doing.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I've only very recently heard of the Blossom AM77.. for the East coasters, were you able to find them around locally for demoing? I don't think I've ever seen Blossom at a demo day I've done but would love to check them out.
East Coaster here, while riding chairs, a very common comment regarding my Blossom skis Is "Never heard of that Brand" or "Is that the model nane or the Ski Brand?".

For any east coaster asking about ability to hold on ice of the AM77, I owned the previous version of the 77, it was fine on hard snow SE Pa. trails, tuned to 3/1. We all know skiing hard snow and ice is much more about the skier than the ski. I took mine west many times to use on low snow days, more often than not, I smiled while others on wide skis frowned.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Blossom makes nice skis.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
We've had some Spring conditions on New Year's weekend here in Killington. Conditions were April-like today and very good. Slushy and soft and starting to get bumped up on the man-made groomed trails the past 2 mornings. I LOVED my AM77 for these conditions! Perfectly round turns from short-medium to medium. Carving slush on a firm base, total control of turn shape and speed through the busy New Years weekend crowd. Slushy bumps were no problem. Had some big VW bumps down a run today and they were handled really well. You can get pretty aggressive in big bumps with the softer tips and shovels.

I just had a great couple of days where I felt this ski was perfect. I didn't really expect to these skis to excel in Spring-like conditions but I just had 2 days where every run felt great, perfect in soft, slushy conditions. Sometimes this ski just has these perfect days where I feel like I just might like it more than my all-time favorite No1 RC. It's so close but the No1 RC still has a few more perfect ski for the day, days. The flex/shape of both my Blossom skis just feels perfect so much of the time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is that the ski or the skier?
I'll take the bait. It is the skier. I have said from the early days of the AX, that it was the best K2 Recon ever made ... and I mean that at a complement. The Laser AX has one of the biggest performance window of any premium ski. A solid intermediate can get on the ski and feel like a rock star and an expert can get on the ski are be will maximize the performance of the ski. I think @KingGrump is referring to more the former than the latter.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that the ski or the skier?

Both.

I know many good skier who have AX as their DD. They kill it. No questions.

I also have seen and skied with many not so good skiers on AX.
The AX doesn't make really improve the skillset of the skier. They may ski faster on it because it's a smooth ski. They may feel like a million buck because they paid through the nose for it. But at the end of the day they are still the same not so good skier.
Just look around the forum.

I generally skied with lots of skiers during the course of a ski season. If I have a dollar every time a new guy say "I am a good skier. I ski fast." I would have enough to get several decent meals at Olive Garden*. Not saying Olive Garden is my restaurant of choice. Any generic chain eatery can work here.
My standard reply is "So you are saying, you don't ski well enough to ski slowly." That usually will piss them off to no end.

Take a much better skillset to ski slow well than be a SCUD on the hill.

Ski performance wise. The AX is a 78/80 front side carver. Any race ski and/or near race ski can and will leave it in the dust. They may not have the baked in baby seal skins of the AX that insulate and isolate the skier from the snow under feet. But they will toast the AX in terms of performance.

* Olive Garden. Been there once. Shall we say, not by choice.

**Full disclosure: I own several pairs of Stockli skis. Including a pair of AX.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I generally skied with lots of skiers during the course of a ski season. If I have a dollar every time a new guy say "I am a good skier. I ski fast." I would have enough to get several decent meals at Olive Garden*. Not saying Olive Garden is my restaurant of choice. Any generic chain eatery can work here.
My standard reply is "So you are saying, you don't ski well enough to ski slowly." That usually will piss them off to no end.

Take a much better skillset to ski slow well than be a SCUD on the hill.
Your whole post was great but I'll highlight this section....

When I say I want to "outski" someone who skis an AX; I have a couple people at my hill in mind. They love to ski the North Ridge at Killington. Ski perfectly carved turns with grace from zero. Continue this to maybe 10 - 15 mph and it's HARD to stay behind them arcing turns at this turtles pace. All turns perfect; instructor and grandparent proud. Get to the bottom of the first 350 ft vert, make them see the Crayola blue Blossom. Hope they know what that is. Drop before them for the next 300 vertical arcing what I believe are super impressive round turns in total control with nary a skid. Hope they followed me and noticed my style and grace. Meet me in the lift line and ask "How do you like those Blossoms?". Maybe get Mike @Premierskis a sale. I make this my entire purpose as long as the AX guy is skiing this lift.

Belichick

Booting up
Skier
How would you compare the AM77 to something like a Bhrama 82 for an east coast front side and firm snow ski?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How would you compare the AM77 to something like a Bhrama 82 for an east coast front side and firm snow ski?
The Blossom is a widish narrow ski in shape. The Brahma is a narrow wide ski. What does that mean? The AM77 wil be a better east coast frontside carver for firm snow.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Blossom is a widish narrow ski in shape. The Brahma is a narrow wide ski. What does that mean? The AM77 wil be a better east coast frontside carver for firm snow.
I still really like that metric- wide -narrow and narrow wide. It just works and is a great way to differentiate this segment.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
The more I ski it, the more I like it. Had them out the past 2 days at Killington VT. Conditions were anywhere from firm but edgeable; to top to bottom snowmaking on their premier bump trail Outer Limits and WC trail Superstar. The AM77 was the perfect ski for both days. Many laps on Superstar which had 70-80 guns online. Top section steep with nicely formed bumps, middle section lower angle with piles of pushed around snow and lower section steep with bumps over an icy World Cup water injected surface. The AM77 was buttery smooth and nimble through the top 2/3's. The slide and slam bumps on the last (steep) pitch required more patience and finesse in order to make them not as slide-y and slam-y; but the AM77 handled these better than my Enforcer 88 would. I was able to carve the icy troughs and turn on the backsides of the bumps. I'm starting to figure out this high 70's underfoot All Mountain ski category and I like it.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Exactly right. I just had 2 days that are classic East Coast groomer days but top to bottom snowmaking on a couple of our steepest trails that get very bumped up. Nice round turns were easy on the firm groomers and the AM77 also handled the bumped up snowmaking trails with a more finesse-y style.

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
To switch from Speedcom to Speedlock on AM77 - would it suffice to replace the plates only, or would it also require a new set of bindings? The pair I am looking at comes with Vist VSP412.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
To switch from Speedcom to Speedlock on AM77 - would it suffice to replace the plates only, or would it also require a new set of bindings? The pair I am looking at comes with Vist VSP412.
Whole new binding/plate.

Sponsor