• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Blossom AM77

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug
Size tested: 170, 177
Location tested: Everywhere
Conditions tested in: Everything up to 6-8" of fresh

Please feel free to check out the previous year's reviews, the AM77 is one of the most liked and respected skis in this ore really any segment.

Philpug:
The Blossom AM77 (formally White Out) has an underground following like few skis do. A look into the ski lockers of SkiTalk.com's Colorado testers will reveal more than one pair. Why does that mean anything? Well, because even though these skiers have unlimited access to our test fleet, they chose to spend their own money on a pair of Blossom AM77/White Outs. To me, that says a ton.

On-snow feel is what you would expect from any premium ski: soliId, smooth, and connected. All it takes is a thought and these skis will do whatever you want them to do. If you are looking for an alternative to some of the more popular skis in the premium 80mm class, here is your opportunity. The 131mm tip's turn in on the AM77 is again just sublime, so smooth. Having skied many skis from this factory, nothing suprises me about their performance, just every time I get on them it jsut reassures me how good and accurate these skis are. We talk a lot about numbers with skis and many times I say they can be deceiving but I can say with confidence, when you read Blossom's published numbers, they are exactly what you will experience with their skis.

fa76d523-27e8-407f-b4c2-15da404d23b8-jpeg.154094
Long term update (1/5/22): @Tricia and I had a free day to ski Sun Valley this week and kinda expected a groomer zoomer day to the the Siderals (AM77) shine but it was not to the case, we received 6-8" over night, not the conditions that you woudl grab the AM77 for. I have said more than once, it wasn't too long ago that 77mm underfoot was a powder ski, remember the Volkl SnowRanger? Well, while the Sideral would not have been our first choice today it was our only choice so we made do and the Blossom did not disappoint

Sun Valley was socked in a cloud with snow comign down so it was a ski by braille kind of day and the Sideral held its own, as good as any 77 mm ski could be expected. The red sled with it's Vist Speedlock ate up the cut up snow like John Pinnette at an all you can eat buffet. Nothing fazes this ski. I know there have been quite a few readers and active contributors here that have been extremely satisfied with their AM77's.

JMB: I skied Blossomskis' personal Am77 with Phil and @Blossomski at Mt. Rose, along with the AM74, AM85 and Numero Uno Lady. About me - I’m male, 6’ 0”, 140 lbs, 67 years old. Conditions were ideal for these carvers - gently packed corduroy, temperatures just below freezing and good visibility. All of them are superb skis - calm, fast, stable, strong, precise, predictable, carving machines that do what is asked of them and don’t surprise you. All of them urge you to go fast but handle the speed beautifully and fully support you controlling that speed. Each of them is a very different beast and each of them left consistently had me grinning ear to ear. But the Whiteout stood out as my favorite among them.

BTaylor: I got AM77s during Blossom's pre-season deal on SkiTalk and mounted them with Look Pivots, rather than Vist Speedlocks. I have Stockli AX for pure carving days and I wanted more versaltility than the AXs offer for soft and deeper conditions. Anyway, I just like the low stack height and flex feel of Pivots and have them on several other skis.

We got about 6" of freshies this afternoon at Breck on top of a soft base. I was with my Saturday Ski Club group and a favorite Level 3 instructor/examiner, most of the day spent on bump runs on Peak 8 and 9. Although I had by far the narrowest waist ski in the group today, the Blossoms were a hoot in these soft moguls: side slipping, quick pivot turns, brushed carves, the AM77s were a dream. Not just for carving!

Andy Mink: I spent a glorious sunny day at Mt. Rose on my personal AM77/Siderals in a 177 with the Vist Speedlock Pro plate. Conditions at Rose have been pretty consistent after the big December dump: chalky with wind effect, especially in the trees, groomers with sugar and scraped pow, and bumps of various conditions. The Blossoms just handle everything with aplomb. I have a hard time remembering a ski that I enjoy so much on the groomers making numerous different shaped turns, from long S turns to pretty tight C-ish turns. On the hard snow (there was one section that was insanely hard chalk, like the kind that doesn't scrape off) I was very pleased with the bite, even with a 1/2 edge. Looking at my line from the lift I could see where the ski was chattering in the turn but I never felt like it was going to let go. Just a fun, easy ski that will say, "Is that all you have" and deliver when you say OK.
  • Insider tip I: Take advantage of the very good Vist Speedlock binding system. It does enhance the ski’s hard-snow performance.
  • Insider tip II: We like this ski so much, we commissioned Blossom to do a SkiTalk Edizione Speciale Sideral, a hommage to the old Spalding model of the same name.

Awards
Who is it for?
All but the strongest skiers, the AM77 has a huge sweet spot
Who is it not for?
Maybe someone who can’t get past the name Blossom?
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
158, 164, 170, 176, 182
Dimensions
131-77-111
Radius
14m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All their website pictures show the skis with a system binding. The website sells bindings but nothing in their descriptions indicates that the skis are in fact sold flat…….

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All their website pictures show the skis with a system binding. The website sells bindings but nothing in their descriptions indicates that the skis are in fact sold flat…….
You gonna ski 'em barefoot, Jeff?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The skis are sold flat.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are all mountain skis, I like the feel of pivots. Don’t think I’d enjoy them as much if I had a plate system binding. But that’s me, think either you’d be happy with either. Fun ski nice radius, great east coast all mountain carver

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are all mountain skis, I like the feel of pivots. Don’t think I’d enjoy them as much if I had a plate system binding. But that’s me, think either you’d be happy with either. Fun ski nice radius, great east coast all mountain carver
Having skied the AM77 both flat and with a plate, I can say both ways have their benefits. I really depends what you looking ot get out of the ski/binding combo.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having skied the AM77 both flat and with a plate, I can say both ways have their benefits. I really depends what you looking ot get out of the ski/binding combo.

With @Philpug’s help, I opted for Pivots. They are sitting in his shop right now waiting for the season to start!

I read a lot of reviews here, asked around, and came to the conclusion that mounted flat you give up a little of the ski’s on-piste performance but gain a little more maneuverability off-piste. That’s for us mere mortal skiers, of course. YMMV.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My east coast home is Blue Mt. so I know something about blue ice. For many years, I owned the Hart Pulse, a 78 made by Blossom, and very similar to the new AM 77. On days when very hard snow prevailed at Blue, I used my Fischer SL's, however, I switched between the SL's and Blossoms regularly, and spent many days on Blossom on very hard snow, always pleased with their performance. I've always believed that there is magic in 78ish waist skis, they provide a lot of versatility plus performance. I took my Blossom out west on many trips, and they shined on days when snow was old. I remember many days when others bitched about their wide skis and harder snow, I just smiled and let the Blossoms just do their thing. So, yeah, they will do fine on hard snow, although the skill of the driver plays a major factor.
I'd buy the AM 77 without any fears!
A quick edit regarding length. I am 6 ft, 190 and I chose the 170. My ski style favors a more narrow turning radius for faster edge changes and quicker turns. I never hit a speed limit with that length. Others may choose the 178 for higher speeds, that was more ski than I needed.
Just read this. The AM77 (Sideral version) is my favorite go-to ski at Blue Mountain! Like you, I’m on the 170cm, but mounted with Look Pivots.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since the AM77 is this years darling and last year's darling was the Laser AX it seems that a "Grudge Match" is in order. Or have we stopped doing that on SKITALK?
Despite the AX now being the Montero AX, I think the extra 2 mm width is a minimal change overall.
I owned the AX before the Blossom AM77. The AX was my early retirement present. I loved the ski, but love the Blossom more.

Why? The Blossom feels slightly "friendlier," in that it's a little easier to initiate turns and feels a tad softer. Off the groomed, it's easier for me to handle. Occasionally the AX would "get away from me" off piste. That's due to a lack of skill, for sure, but I'm out there to have fun and not get overly frustrated. The Blossom just seems to work with me better. Same smooth feel as the Stockli, though. I didn't give up performance, just increased the ability to relax and also to be more adventurous, knowing the ski won't bite back.

FWIW, the out-of-the-box tune on the Blossom was WAY superior than the Stõckli's.

I'm on the 170 Blossom and was on the 168 AX. I could ski a 176 Blossom, for sure, but I wouldn't like a 175 AX.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Despite the AX now being the Montero AX, I think the extra 2 mm width is a minimal change overall.
I owned the AX before the Blossom AM77. The AX was my early retirement present. I loved the ski, but love the Blossom more.

Why? The Blossom feels slightly "friendlier," in that it's a little easier to initiate turns and feels a tad softer. Off the groomed, it's easier for me to handle. Occasionally the AX would "get away from me" off piste. That's due to a lack of skill, for sure, but I'm out there to have fun and not get overly frustrated. The Blossom just seems to work with me better. Same smooth feel as the Stockli, though. I didn't give up performance, just increased the ability to relax and also to be more adventurous, knowing the ski won't bite back.

FWIW, the out-of-the-box tune on the Blossom was WAY superior than the Stõckli's.
How does it do on our East Coast Ice?

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does it do on our East Coast Ice?
It's been good. I had it tuned the end of last season with a 1/3 instead of the factory tune, which, as earlier posters indicated, is better for the east coast.

If you've been on the Rally, I'd say the AM77 is a tad softer (?) but smoother in feel. It's been awhile since I've been on the Rally. However, very similar in terms of conditions they excel in. The AM77 is probably more supple and therefore better off piste than the Rally.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find 1/3 is better for the PNW as well. Or rather, it's better for how I want the ski to function, wherever I am.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find 1/3 is better for the PNW as well. Or rather, it's better for how I want the ski to function, wherever I am.
Funny…. I thought the tune @ 1/2 from factory was outstanding and kept it there all last season. I generally tune my hard pack skis to 1/3 but felt 1/2 worked very well on mine. It’s almost tuning season, maybe I’ll switch it up.

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
I read a lot of reviews here, asked around, and came to the conclusion that mounted flat you give up a little of the ski’s on-piste performance but gain a little more maneuverability off-piste. That’s for us mere mortal skiers, of course. YMMV.

Which better suits the "slow line" kind of, err... "medium fast" in moguls?

Thanks!
smt

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I loved the factory tune of both my No1 RC 170cm and my AM77 170cm. Mike from @Premier Skis when I asked about the AM 77 factory tune:

Blossom’s factory tune is hard to replicate as they use a Montana system that lets them program in a different side and base bevel on tip and tail than under the foot (Montana calls it Radial Edging). That being said, my personal AM77s (170 cm, Speedlock with 412s) are tuned to a 1 degree base, 3 degree side. With the Speedcom system you have, we typically suggest 1 base, 2 degree side. This is very close to the factory setting.

I have SpeedCom on both skis and like the 1*base 3* side on both the No1 RC and AM77. The Montana factory tune was great out of the box on both skis but my tuner has a Wintersteiger Mercury; so I can't get that radial edging. I think it would take a Winterstiger Jupiter to replicate the Montana factory tune. All that mumbo jumbo aside, 1* base 3* edge feels great.

Also an aside. I love both my AM77 and No1 RC, but I use my No1 RC a lot more. I ski Killington VT 50 days per year (mostly weekends and holidays) so there's that also. Both skis are 14m radius but the No1 RC feels a bit quicker so I can tighten that radius up a bit more. The AM77 feels more forgiving and easier; but still carves and is precise. The AM77 can give that 14m turn and can be riden out longer. The No1 RC can tighten up and loosen up from 14m with the same ability to release easily. Both skis are dreams but if given the choice to keep one, it would be the No1 RC. It's like picking your favorite kid or dog though. You wouldn't want to have to pick one.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only very recently heard of the Blossom AM77.. for the East coasters, were you able to find them around locally for demoing? I don't think I've ever seen Blossom at a demo day I've done but would love to check them out.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only very recently heard of the Blossom AM77.. for the East coasters, were you able to find them around locally for demoing? I don't think I've ever seen Blossom at a demo day I've done but would love to check them out.
All the east coast "demos" that I'm aware of have taken the form of friends borrowing from friends.

Sponsor