• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Blossom Numero Uno N*1 RC

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Updated from previous season:

Philpug:
The Blossom Numero Uno N*1 RC is an old soul and very well could be one of the oldest ski molds that is currently on the market but don't tell that to it. The ski was as fresh as its modern graphics. It shows that a well designed and constructed ski is near timeless.The RC is as playful as a puppy in slow to medium speeds and the published 15 meter sidecut felt felt very accurate. All you have to do with the RC is to lay it over and start turning and let the speed build. If you want to scrub speed, not a problem, release the tails then if you want it back again lock them in. Where some skis in this class expect you to go fast if you want them to perform, the Blossom has power on demand and it is at your beck and call. The Numero Uno N°1 RC is a ski that should be considered by everyone who enjoys ripping up groomers on a bluebird morning. While the Numero Uno collection name is new, an homage to the old Spalding skis, the N°1 RC model is the renamed Great Shape, a ski that we reviewed a few seasons back.

tempimagepvtkjp-png.154497

Long term update (1/9/22): We had the green machine N*1 RC in our test fleet last year with the Vist Speedcom binding system but this year I thought I would step it up a bit this year by putting Vist's metal Speedlock PRO on this year's ski and it is noticeable. The Speedlock PRO binding is the same system we have on the SkiTalk Sideral and while it adds power to the ski we saw very little loss in versatility and that rings true with the addition of the bindings to the Numero Uno N*1 RC.​

Andy Mink: This ski is very confidence inspiring. Lay it over and it holds. Pull that uphill ski back a little bit and it tightens...tightens...tightens...but allows the tails to be released wherever, whenever you want. Transitions from nice groomer to skier packed lumpy-bumpy were uneventful. The ski is very quiet no matter the conditions I ran in to. This is a ski that I could see buying for myself.
Long Term Update (1/5/22): I went up to Mt. Rose today just to get a couple of afternoon laps in... and skied until last chair. The RCs just ate up the firm groomers. Longer slow turns, fast shorter turns, even a run or two through some soft bumps, the Blossoms are, as I said in my initial reaction, confidence inspiring. Don't think they are a hard ski to ski, but don't be fooled into thinking they are wimpy just because they are easy at lower speeds. They will go as fast as most mere mortals should go and stay cool, calm, and collected while doing so.​
Long term update (1/29/22): I took the RCs back out to Mt. Rose again and conditions are very similar to what they've been for a few weeks: firm chalk with some dust on crust and occasional marbles. I ran into @JFB on the hill and he was skiing his Numero Uno SCs and we both came to the same conclusion. The snow feel is superb with the builds on these skis. You just get a super smooth, super connected feel. I did venture down through some trees and, while the snow was similar to the groomers, there were divots and bumps. I did hook the tail a few times, something I prefer to NOT do with large trees in the vicinity. Again, not this ski's wheel house but doable. Carving them is just so fun and where they truly shine.​

BS Slarver: I snagged these from the SkiTalk rack. With no new snow in the last few days I gotta say these were the perfect ski for the day. I have to agree with the Ferrari feel from the very first turn to the last run in a variety of turn shapes. These skied fantastic regardless of a centered foot or forward stance. Fellow BS skier and ex NORAM racer and I share the same BSL so I put him for a run, WOW ! What a ride ! This from someone who doesn’t hand out compliments very often.

Insider tip 1: Buy flat and add a race plate, maybe a Marker piston plate and an Xcell 16.0 or at least a Vist Speedlock Pro plate and Vist 412 binding.
Insider tip 2: We were very temped to make use this mold for the SkiTalk Sideral.

Awards
Who is it for?
This is a sports car -- think of a red one, maybe with a prancing horse on the side, but with Audi pricing.
Who is it not for?
While some are calling the 71 a cheater GS, there are real race skis that are better.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
145, 151, 158, 164, 170, 176, 181
Dimensions
121-71-106
Radius
14m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Copied from the AM77 comments because I reference the No1 RC. The No1 RC is also my go to ski for groomer days/no new snow days. I also like them in bumps. I think that a lot of good technique skiers who are looking for a sport carver would get along great with these..... For reference, I'm 5'7" 175 lbs and on the stronger than fatter side. I work out regularly but I do like my beer.

I loved the factory tune of both my No1 RC 170cm and my AM77 170cm. Mike from @Premier Skis when I asked about the AM 77 factory tune:

Blossom’s factory tune is hard to replicate as they use a Montana system that lets them program in a different side and base bevel on tip and tail than under the foot (Montana calls it Radial Edging). That being said, my personal AM77s (170 cm, Speedlock with 412s) are tuned to a 1 degree base, 3 degree side. With the Speedcom system you have, we typically suggest 1 base, 2 degree side. This is very close to the factory setting.

I have SpeedCom on both skis and like the 1*base 3* side on both the No1 RC and AM77. The Montana factory tune was great out of the box on both skis but my tuner has a Wintersteiger Mercury; so I can't get that radial edging. I think it would take a Winterstiger Jupiter to replicate the Montana factory tune. All that mumbo jumbo aside, 1* base 3* edge feels great.

Also an aside. I love both my AM77 and No1 RC, but I use my No1 RC a lot more. I ski Killington VT 50 days per year (mostly weekends and holidays) so there's that also. Both skis are 14m radius but the No1 RC feels a bit quicker so I can tighten that radius up a bit more. The AM77 feels more forgiving and easier; but still carves and is precise. The AM77 can give that 14m turn and can be riden out longer. The No1 RC can tighten up and loosen up from 14m with the same ability to release easily. Both skis are dreams but if given the choice to keep one, it would be the No1 RC. It's like picking your favorite kid or dog though. You wouldn't want to have to pick one.

Edit: There is something about these Blossom skis that sets them apart from the more popular brands. The snow feel. Classic sandwich construction and shapes that love to be on edge. I've become a better skier since being on them. There's a reason that I see great skiers on Vist Crossover 2's; lots of grace and finesse but also energetic and quick. I wouldn't want to give up the Vist's if I didn't know that Blossom existed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update: Typical Tahoe, 4 feet of snow followed by 4 weeks of sun. This cycle creates some great chalky groomers that are ideal for a ski such as the N*1 RC. We have been fortunate enough to have the RC in our test fleet for these days. Even beng one of the more established designs on the marked (see: oldest) the Blossom never fails to churn out smooth round turn after smooth round turn. Keep your baby seal skins, the Numero Uno RC is a where refinement starts and ends.

willy384

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any chance for a comparison to the No 1 XC's? Anyone skied them yet...besides Mike?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any chance for a comparison to the No 1 XC's? Anyone skied them yet...besides Mike?

First day today. Not great test conditions: blizzard, whiteout, crowded slopes, snow like partially cured concrete -- actually, maybe crap conditions make good test conditions. Either way, the skis performed great. At 170 and a 14m radius, these are more turny than my eRace Pros at 180, but duh. Nothing was smooth enough to thoroughly evaluate carving performance, but the turns I did get in where solid and tight. Bumps were fun. But what really stood out for me was my fun level at the end of the day. On a wet and heavy Baker snow day, by 2pm the snow is compacted with hard washboard at the high traffic areas -- not fun on typical Baker planks (+ 100mm). But these skis kept things fun in conditions that were anything but.

I have to say the construction layup on the XCs are Numero Uno. This morning I was comparing the XCs with my son's new RCs and the AM77s. I really like the build; lot's of metal, top and bottom. For someone like myself who finds the AM77 a bit soft, these XCs are perfect. Yet still compliant. I was fearing they might be overly stiff, but that's not the case at all. It would be cool if Blossom offered the Turbo line in an XC build.

Thanks @Premier Skis!

IMG_0796.jpeg
IMG_0797.jpeg
IMG_0800.jpeg

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Second day on Numero Unos. With 30" in the last 2 days, I thought Baker would be serving leftovers, but nope! Everything was skied out, packed down, and firmed up. Noah and I took one run down 6 on our wide planks then went back to the car for our skinny skis. Fun level immediately bumped up several notches. I known these skis are pegged for cruising groomers, but for me they work so well on cold, chalky, chunky moguls; that's what I skied all day.

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpeg

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
Second day on Numero Unos. With 30" in the last 2 days, I thought Baker would be serving leftovers, but nope! Everything was skied out, packed down, and firmed up. Noah and I took one run down 6 on our wide planks then went back to the car for our skinny skis. Fun level immediately bumped up several notches. I known these skis are pegged for cruising groomers, but for me they work so well on cold, chalky, chunky moguls; that's what I skied all day.

View attachment 187656
View attachment 187657
View attachment 187658
Have you skied the RCs as well as the XCs? If so, how different are the XCs? I have ridden the RCs a couple of years ago and am thinking about a pair in 176. But I am drawn towards the XCs! No chance to demo, alas. Thanks.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you skied the RCs as well as the XCs? If so, how different are the XCs? I have ridden the RCs a couple of years ago and am thinking about a pair in 176. But I am drawn towards the XCs! No chance to demo, alas. Thanks.
I haven't been on the RCs yet. My son has the RCs in a 165, my XCs are 170. Mass wise, the RCs are 1685g and the XCs are 1880g, w/o plates. The layup looking from the sidewall is visually different too, note the thicker metal layer above the edges on the XC (white) vs the RC (black). The RCs are 14.75 mm and the XCs are 15.5 mm thick at the midline.

IMG_0896.jpeg

Curious about the comparative longitudinal flex across my carving skis, here's how I'd order them from softest to strongest (left to right). The RC is pretty close to the eRace Pro, hard for me to tell them apart to be honest. The XC is noticeably stiffer. And if stiffness was a competition, the Ogasaka TC-SU would win, no contest. If you saw its sidewall profile it would be clear why. They almost look like nordic skis. Interestingly the Ogasaka has about the softest tips and tails of the bunch, even comparing it to the AM77, but just at the very ends. Looking forward to skiing this ski...

IMG_0900.jpeg

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
I haven't been on the RCs yet. My son has the RCs in a 165, my XCs are 170. Mass wise, the RCs are 1685g and the XCs are 1880g, w/o plates. The layup looking from the sidewall is visually different too, note the thicker metal layer above the edges on the XC (white) vs the RC (black). The RCs are 14.75 mm and the XCs are 15.5 mm thick at the midline.

View attachment 189012

Curious about the comparative longitudinal flex across my carving skis, here's how I'd order them from softest to strongest (left to right). The RC is pretty close to the eRace Pro, hard for me to tell them apart to be honest. The XC is noticeably stiffer. And if stiffness was a competition, the Ogasaka TC-SU would win, no contest. If you saw its sidewall profile it would be clear why. They almost look like nordic skis. Interestingly the Ogasaka has about the softest tips and tails of the bunch, even comparing it to the AM77, but just at the very ends. Looking forward to skiing this ski...

View attachment 189013
Interesting, thanks. The XC also looks like it might have the phenolic race sidewalls (just looking at the colour) which would also add some stiffness and reactivity.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
No1 RC showed its versatility today. East ice and steep snowmaking bumps were my bitch today. Same deal with my AM77 last weekend. Rain followed with a hard freeze and just 2" snow on the back end of the storm las 2 weekends. I'd say the RC was a little more work but also a little more rewarding. AM77 easier but also worked very well in some difficult conditions; really fun. Lots of laps in the steep snowmaking bumps. More of the same tomorrow. Blossom makes some really nice skis. If you know how to work a ski, these are it.

Sponsor