• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Dynastar M-Free 99

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ron:
Size tested: 185
Location tested: Loveland, CO
Conditions tested in: Soft groomers, 6-8” powder, crud, moguls, trees

This is a fun, snappy, energetic and versatile ski. The deep rocker lines of the M-Free require going up in length. This ski is on the softer side, but it is a poppy, fun ski that lighter weight, less aggressive skiers can really enjoy. Despite its dimensions and profile, this ski can be tipped on edge for quick edge-to-edge turns (faster than you think) and skied flat in moderately deep powder. I skied this on both tracked out variable snow and fresh and found it to be a lot of fun.
  • Who is it for: Lighter weight skiers who want a fun soft snow ski.
  • Who is it not for: heavier skiers or more aggressive skiers will overpower this ski.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to size up.
  • One thing I would change: Beef up the core.​
Updated from previous season ...

Philpug:
This is one of the skis that caught me by surprise because playful resort powder skis usually don’t raise my temps; typically I would lean toward the M-Free 99’s brother, the M-Pro 99. The M-Free 99 is no tweenager or park rat’s party ski -- although it will do that juuust fine, the M-Free has more of the M-Pro DNA than I expected. In fact, I actually preferred the M-Free over the M-Pro, 99 to 99. Sure, the M-Free has the typical tip and tail flap that you expect from a ski with this much rise, but you shouldn't be looking at your tips and tails anyway; you really do not feel the flap at all. I think it is the slightly shorter turn radius that is steering me to the Free over the Pro.

55b61d0b-5680-4f2f-8c08-4ff10b923a84-jpg.152659
Long term update (12/25/21): Oh boy oh boy. I had intended to take out the M/Free 99 the day before at Mt. Rose but with the amount of weather that blew in quickly, the lifts shut down so it endup staying in the ski sack. So, today, the M/Free 99 was the bride and not the bridemaid. Snow is abound here in Tahoe but it is not the Utah light that will wisp away with a breath, this is a lot heavier. It is amazing how well a 99 can handle a lot of snow especially with it is a bit denser and the M/Free 99 was able to float, cut and carve all over Mt. Rose in the deep, steep and trees yet still handle the flats on the way back to the lift without undo pressure on the knees and ankles that a ski 10% wider can create.​
  • Insider tip: Err on the long side.
Andy Mink: Another day, another bunch of soft snow at Mt. Rose. As mentioned in @Philpug's post above, Sierra powder is a bit heavier than Utah cold smoke. Throw in a bit of wind buff pack and things can get cut up with some soft chunky on top. The M-Frees were just the ticket today being strong enough to get through the cut up but not enough to get buried under the top. The tip and tail rise, along with the fairly easy flex make for a fun, surfy ride in the leftovers and allow the pilot to carve or play dirty tail pusher; you make the call and the Free comes along.

This ski isn't made to drive and a centered stance is all that is necessary to work it well. On the return groomers covered by a couple of inches of fresh the Free is super fun and playful. Swoosh, carve, slarve, switch, what ever is your pleasure. The ski definitely liked to go over, not through, the many wind ripples I encountered on the groomers with the long tip pulling a little more into the turn then letting go on the other side. It felt similar to a boat hitting waves at an oblique angle.

At 185, and a short running surface, it is still pretty stable at cruising speeds. A longer option would be a good addition for bigger skiers but, alas, it's not. I'm still not sold on the counter top marble look but when it's covered in snow, who cares?

Awards
Who is it for?
Free thinkers. Yes, that quip is too easy, but someone who is open enough to realize Pros can be Free.
Who is it not for?
These ski short, so with a 185 being the longest, bigger skiers will need to either step up to the M-Free 108 or, more on the power side, the M-Pro.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Moguls
  2. Off Piste
  3. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
171, 179, 185
Dimensions
128-99-120
Radius
17m@179cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat

GabriGlider

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello, Is anybody here skiing on the Dynastar M-Free 99?
If so, do you have an opinion on the mounting point? I have planed going +2cm from the recomended line, as i want to ski switch and learn some freestyle.

I have asked some people from here, but I want to know if there is more people out ther skiing them right now and in which position. Thanks!

Thanks!

Gabriel

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello, Is anybody here skiing on the Dynastar M-Free 99?
If so, do you have an opinion on the mounting point? I have planed going +2cm from the recomended line, as i want to ski switch and learn some freestyle.

I have asked some people from here, but I want to know if there is more people out ther skiing them right now and in which position. Thanks!

Thanks!

Gabriel
We mounted our test skis on the line and they were uber fun.

Geoff

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Great review! I'm really interested in the M-Free 99, however the only demo ski available to me in the M-Free line is the 108 in 182 cm. Is the 108 similar enough to the 99 to help me make a buying decision? I am 5'-11" and 180 lb and ski at an upper immediate/low advanced level, so I would most likey be looking at the 179cm in the M-Free 99.

Thanks!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Great review! I'm really interested in the M-Free 99, however the only demo ski available to me in the M-Free line is the 108 in 182 cm. Is the 108 similar enough to the 99 to help me make a buying decision? I am 5'-11" and 180 lb and ski at an upper immediate/low advanced level, so I would most likey be looking at the 179cm in the M-Free 99.

Thanks!
I've been on the 179cm M-Free 99 all winter. If there's any new snow or soft groomers it's my choice for the day. I would call it "more than capable" on groomed runs and a blast in the trees or anywhere that requires quick swervy turns. The M-Free 99 replaced my old Rossi Sky 7's which were fun in soft snow but punished me on harder surfaces. I debated between the 179cm and 184cm sizes and went with the smaller of the two mostly because the trees were the target terrain.

I'm 6'-0" and 158lbs, not a power skier at all, but I suppose I'm a lower level advanced skier. I think the 185cm would be appropriate for you as you're a bit heavier and perhaps younger. I'm actually thinking of getting the 108mm version for deeper days. Mount the bindings on the recommended line and you're good to go.

Last edited:

Sponsor