• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Fire Season

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like it is Fire Season Already.

(If there is another thread started, or a more appropriate location, feel free to move this post.)

Its sad that Fire Season has become a thing now. And the season is underway despite lots of moisture and snow this winter in much of drought stricken western N. America.

There are already serious and large fires across Alberta.

First big fire start in NM in San Miguel County not far from last summer's conflagration. We had some rain and a little upper elevation snow last night which will hopefully help. But huge winds yesterday made it run pretty fast to 1000 acres and evacuations ordered. The poor folks in San Miguel and Mora haven't recovered from the last fire yet and already they are in it.

Edit... 16000 acres overnight 0 percent contained. 90 mph gusts.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Our Fed's just sent in the Armed Forces for evacuations and fire fighting in Alberta. There is also a picture on FB of 2 trucks from the States with the Banff sign. Thanks for sending them!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Big Smoke is living up to its name today...

Funny thing is, Los Angeles air quality in the sixties was like this every day!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yesterday it was like being on the wrong side of a campfire. I could even smell the wood burning.

One thing I absolutely detest - thankfully we're too far south for it this season (so far) - is being at full effort heart rate, lungs heaving and gulping air in, and creosote burning its way into every mucous membrane on the way in.

The Big Smoke is living up to its name today...

Funny thing is, Los Angeles air quality in the sixties was like this every day!

Until just recently, the penny didn't really drop for me about your night time rides vs. air quality...are you getting large particulate variation during the day?

scott43

Skier
Until just recently, the penny didn't really drop for me about your night time rides vs. air quality...are you getting large particulate variation during the day?
Yeah it is up and down. Higher level for an hour then abates somewhat. It's been a perfect weather pattern to pull it down from the north. Typically we get wind from the west-northwest. So this is unusual. And yeah typically at night there is less haze and pollution. And in summer it can be a dreadful concrete heat island here.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
They have the fire contained near my cottage, so that is good. But the like @scott43 can't breathe. Smoke websites are interesting. Hope the rain comes tomorrow as forecasted. I didn't go to paddle practice last night. And just got a note that practices are on, but will be technical in nature tomorrow night.

They are filming for the series Murdock Mysteries in town today. I feel for the actors.

scott43

Skier
1686157013111.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
We have the smoke from the Canadian fire up and down the east coast. The are recommending staying indoors especially the elderly and small children. The senior community that I live in has closed the pool for the weekend and we will probably not open during the week for a while. Some of the regular walkers are out walking in the KN95 masks from the pandemic. Even some of the people of all ages shopping at the local super market are wearing masks. I am just wondering when they will get the fire under control and how long it will take for the air to clear.

scott43

Skier
I suspect they won't get under control without mother nature's help. There's just too much bush and not enough people. Look for rain..

scott43

Skier
Little bit of rain forecast early next week and a bit more next Friday. We'll see what actually falls..