• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Fire Season

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm 1/2 way between @scott43 and @TrueNorth. It was better after lunch, but.....
I'm considering not going north to the cottage, as I do not have AC. Leaving the windows open might not be an option. Add in the fact that the Renfrew/Calabogie fire is only 60 km directly north of my place....though they think they will have that one under control tomorrow.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not something to brag about, but Ottawa peaked at about 500 on this chart today.

There seems to be a concentration of the particulates just south of lake Ontario, right along I-81 between Syracuse and Harrisburg, that might be peaking even beyond that.

James

Out There
Instructor
Canada is not supposed to burn like this!

When it rained briefly the other day it created some sort of film on the car. All the windows have streaks and spots.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because…?

From the NYT article I linked above:
Early in the book, a meticulous and meditative account of the changing landscape of Canadian fire, Vaillant describes the Chinchaga fire of 1950 — at approximately four million acres in western Canada, the largest ever recorded in North America. “The fire generated a smoke plume so large it came to be known as the Great Smoke Pall of 1950,” Vaillant writes. “Rising 40,000 feet into the stratosphere, the plume’s enormous umbra lowered average temperatures by several degrees, caused birds to roost at midday, and created weird visual effects as it circled the Northern Hemisphere, including widespread reports of lavender suns and blue moons.” He continues, “the last time such effects had been reported on this scale was following the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883. Carl Sagan was sufficiently impressed by the effects of the Chinchaga fire to wonder if they might resemble those of a nuclear winter.”

Vaillant’s book is not about the Chinchaga fire, but the Horse River fire, also known as the Fort McMurray fire, which in 2016 destroyed thousands of homes in the boomtown-center of the Athabasca oil-sand region and forced the largest wildfire evacuation in Canada’s history. Today, for all but the most informed followers of wildfire, it is already nearly forgotten — which is to say, surpassed by subsequent fire horrors and thereby normalized almost into background noise.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

When it rained briefly the other day it created some sort of film on the car. All the windows have streaks and spots.
Typically it's fairly wet in the Northeast here in these months. After the thaw, starting first of May, we've had zero rain. It's been steadily drying out and we're not yet in summer campfire awareness time. So it's a struggle right now. I don't think many people can comprehend just how much bush is up there. And so few people with tough access to boot. Just perfect storm.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Old growth forest that has not been thinned out or fire mitigated. I think most of the fires up north are lightning. The Matawatchan fire is on crown land, so it could have been a campfire not put out properly. It started on an island....

Quebec's in the same situation. I think I heard all caused by lightning strikes.

I could see down my street tonight and across the bay. That's the first time this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I know it's not funny but this sounds like what I'm hearing from friends not only in PA but all over the east and midwest. Hopefully CA, WA, and OR won't follow in Canada's footprint this year. They (and those of us east) need a break from that.
352741900_137704792612664_544944941876231724_n.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I used to wonder if sitting by the campfire all night might actually be bad for you. .. several nights in a row on a two week trip. I guess we're sitting by the camp fire, but with a lot if green crap added in every time we go outside right now...

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you're affected by fire and/or smoke you have my sympathies. Had months of that in 2020. It sux. :(

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You guys in the guts of this have all my sympathy. We know what it's like in the West.

But I haven't seen your kind of numbers since we lived in the backyard of Oregon's Eagle Creek Fire in 2017. For reference, it was smoky enough that there was one day with a forecast high of 90 and it did not quite reach 70.

But at least the fire didn't make it to our little hometown. One night, there was a quarter inch of rain forecast, and it rained two inches, and that was it. PTL!

I suspect they won't get under control without mother nature's help.

I suspect you're right, for fires of the current Canadian magnitude. Tragic. Timber lost, CO2 emitted, and young men and women put in harm's way.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It doesn't seem to be bad for us in the quiet corner of CT. Could smell a little in the air but nothing like NY, that's terrible. This is a smell in the air and a visual I associate with the west as I lived in California for so long. I feel for our canadian neighbors.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yesterday was really bad. this is from Canajoharie along the mohawk- the village is barely visible. Was a tad less at my higher elevation but not much.. Seemed like today it wasn't as bad, finally we had a sprinkle of rain late this afternoon, supposed to get steady rain- which we need badly tomorrow. I hope so.

1686185283901.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
WTC:
View attachment 205199
The view from my daughter's apartment on the upper west side:
View attachment 205198
Those images look eerily like Reno during fire season.
:(
We have the smoke from the Canadian fire up and down the east coast. The are recommending staying indoors especially the elderly and small children. The senior community that I live in has closed the pool for the weekend and we will probably not open during the week for a while. Some of the regular walkers are out walking in the KN95 masks from the pandemic. Even some of the people of all ages shopping at the local super market are wearing masks. I am just wondering when they will get the fire under control and how long it will take for the air to clear.
We've had school cancelled and urgency to stay inside with AC/Filtering, windows and doors closed.

Not something we look forward to.