• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Fire Season

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With your eyes all a mist from the smoke of a distant fire.

Oops, wrong thread . . .

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
There used to be a very significant number of Canadian firefighting float planes based along the St. Mary's River in Sault Ste. Marie, ON back in the 80s and 90s. During the summer months the size of the fleet on hand was substantially reduced and I presume many of the aircraft were tasked with firefighting duties in the endless northern forests. I would regularly see them from the deck and pilot house of ships of which I was a crew member whenever we were passing by the Soo. Assuming nothing has changed since then, I imagine the crews assigned to those planes are being kept very busy right now battling the blazes in the Province(s).

On a related note, I saw a (smaller) fleet of very similar firefighting float planes docked on the shoreline of Inarijarvi (Inari Lake) in Finland well above the Arctic Circle when I spent the summer of 2000 bike touring and mountain climbing in the Scandinavian Arctic. Finland rivals Ontario and Quebec when it comes to having an abundance of lakes and endless forests and, given the scarcity of roads in the northern regions of those locales, firefighting float planes are obviously a very effective tool with which to battle the blazes.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm reports on the fire that is north of my cottage property. The planes couldn't fly one of the days because the smoke was too thick. And planes are not that accurate. They did use 2 helicopters because they can pin point spots.

It rained here last night. Things are better today for air quality. But they say it will get worst as the day progresses.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In my experience, sooner or later everything (organic) burns.

There are twelve US hotshot crews assigned to fires in Alberta.

Just here to point out for folks who didn't already know that pais alto knows a lot about this topic, at the professional level. Great resource for the site.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Here's our day. Sorry to our South of the border friends.. :(
Screenshot_20230608-075855.png

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
How extensive is the US support for fighting the Canadian fires this Spring?
When the US lights up the Canadians often send the resources they can spare to help the fires, are we reciprocating this year? Would it help with the Eastern Canadian fires?
Just seems that lending a hand on the fire lines would be better than just complaining about the smoke.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
When the US lights up the Canadians often send the resources they can spare to help the fires, are we reciprocating this year? Would it help with the Eastern Canadian fires?
Just seems that lending a hand on the fire lines would be better than just complaining about the smoke.
I know that US fire support hit Nova Scotia and are likely at the Shelburne County fires now. I believe the US is sending hundreds more towards Quebec and Alberta as of yesterday. Am not knowledgeable about how the process works but these folk come from all over and usually pretty fast. We even had a group from Costa Rica here. It's impressive

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From the National Incident Situation Report for 6/8/23:
Fourteen fire suppression crews, one incident management team and twelve overhead personnel have been assigned to large fires in Alberta, Canada.

That’s over 300 people.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
US has folks here. This cross border assistance is usually pretty good. We have good neighbours..

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
I have to almost feel a little guilty. I live in the Laurentians just north-west of Montreal and for the past two eays our air quality has been rated as "good." The winds have been totally in our favour, with the smoke just skirting this area and Montreal. I realize we are very lucky at the moment.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are twelve US hotshot crews assigned to fires in Alberta.

From the National Incident Situation Report for 6/8/23:

That’s over 300 people.
I was going to answer this question but I see @pais alto already did.
He's one of our more knowledgeable members on this topic.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online