• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Fischer RC4 The Curv GT

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Erik Timmerman: Fischer has updated the Curv GT, taking it from a ski that was a nice piece of my quiver to a ski that could replace half of my quiver. The old GT felt like it had one thing it wanted to do; the new GT feels like it is ready to do most anything. The best thing to me was that there was no "figuring out the ski." It felt good just skating to the lift, and once I went down the ramp, the performance was intuitive. You want to bang off rapid short-swing turns? Sure! Lay trenches? Ok! Rip some bump lines? Yes, please! The ski is silky smooth with an improved shape versus the previous generation: the tip is less aggressive, which plays a big part in the versatility.

Insider tip: This could be the perfect ski for your Level III exam. Also, size it according to the turn size you want to make.​

Philpug: Is it a Fischer Curv GT or Fischer The Curv GT? The name "The Curv" just doesn’t sound right. To the business at hand, Fischer brings back one of its most popular models from recent years with a fresh shape and updated performance. Where the retired Curv GT had a more gradual rise in the tip and a flared tail, the more traditional new version has a performance-oriented RC4-derived construction. The new Curv GT feels solid and smooth, and can be pushed, carved, taken into bumps ... it will even perform as an exam ski. This ski does it all. With a price point slightly more than regular skis but less than premium, it is unique considering what you get for your money with one of the best base and sidewall finishes.

20220114_092942_077_saved-jpg.155184
Long term update (1/14/22): I went back and revisited my original post and I 100% agree with myself, I was dead on from the start, The Curv GT does not disappoint. Today was one of the days that is I had almost any ski to choose from, the Curv GT would be at the top of the list. Conditions at Mt. Rose were leftover leftovers, and they don't expect to get any better over the next few weeks, makes us kinda glad we are headed out of town. The conditions, dry groomers, and where it wasn't groomed, chalky edgeable bumps, the snow a 76mm ski should thrive and eat up and sure enough the Curv GT did just that without even breaking a sweat. If you are looking for a ski in this class that is on the power side of the spectrum, the Curv GT most be on you short list.​

Long term update (3/11/22): The Curv GT is one of the more quiet skis in the segment, quiet, damp, smooth and and a word that has been a buzzword in the past couple of days, has a beautiful suspension. The Curv GT is definately on the Power side of the scale and does want your attention but does not demand it. Can you take it in the bumps? Sure but unless you are centered on the ski, it will remind you of it's stiffer construction.​
  • Insider tip: Still some of the best-finished bases and sidewalls in the business.
Andy Mink: I took the The Curv to Mt. Rose for a few runs on some firm groomers that softened yesterday and froze a bit last night. There was enough wind to blow some fresh around on the surface and pile it a bit in spots. I also dropped off the edge into the unknown, which turned out to be fairly compacted deep powder that softened, froze, and had some wind effect "crust" on it. Throw in some small bumps and that made for half a dozen runs. The The Curv (??) handled everything quite well. On the groomers it held well, though transitions were a bit slower edge to edge than I anticipated probably due to the bit of tip rise that helps the ski work well in other conditions besides groomers; it doesn't pull you in as quickly as some other 76mm skis. However, pick up the speed and lay it over and you'll lay a respectable set of tracks. The RC4 makes for a very capable jack-of-all trades when conditions are starting to get skied out and there's not a lot of fresh deep to be had.

58757-jpeg.165076

Long Term Update (3/31/22): It's been a few months since I was on the The Curv GT last but, seeing how the season has been going, I think it's the same snow! Warm afternoons and cold nights have made for some pretty firm conditions at Mt. Rose, especially early in the day. From corduroy that doesn't yield to granulated sugar on top to softening groomers as the morning wore on, the GT handles them all with no fuss. The SkiTalk GTs are tuned to 1/3 so getting on edge on the glazy stuff is no issue, and the softer stuff just becomes a place to lay tracks. It was a short morning and all runs were on groomed or kinda groomed runs except one that looked like they started and ran out of gas or time and then it froze. Everything from coral to chicken heads to death cookies with a little dirt at the bottom. I took it easy and the Fischers were unflappable. While they aren't a super demanding ski, they certainly reward a good technique while not getting too upset with mistakes.

Stephen: I Got on the Curv GT rather unassuming as I had not read or heard anything about it. Sometimes I feel like it takes me a run or two to get the feel of a ski. This Fischer was not one of those skis. Solid from the start. It has the feel of a premium ski and is confidence inspiring for me. I felt I could trust it in any condition I took it in that day. I wouldn’t use the word “nimble” to describe it but it wasn’t telling me where I had to go. This ski allowed me to drive it and then allowed me to enjoy the ride. The tail seems to strike the delicate balance of being there for you to finish the turn but not punishing you for an imperfect turn. I felt it was an all around good ski that I could see easily being part of a two ski quiver.

Awards
Who is it for?
The better you ski, the more you will get out of the Curv GT. Lovers of all things corduroy who want some versatility.
Who is it not for?
It obviously is frontside-oriented; no one will mistake it for a powder ski. Those not sold on the need for a narrow ski. Shrug, your loss.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
161, 168, 175, 182
Dimensions
127-76-110
Radius
17m@182cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. System

surf carve

Booting up
Skier
wow, and its got a plate too....for when you need the extra edge pressure on the ice. i might need to upgrade from the curv dtx to this one.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
wow, and its got a plate too....for when you need the extra edge pressure on the ice. i might need to upgrade from the curv dtx to this one.
The GT doesn't come with a race plate, at least not in Europe. It comes with Tyrolia's Race Track. Still a very good binding interface, IMO, but not the extra oomph of a race plate (which the Curv does have).

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The e-Rally is a bit more all-round, IMO (can handle more diverse conditions). The Curv GT is higher performance, though.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Would it be possible for someone to compare these to the 2023 Renoun Atlas 80?
I'm on 2015 Progressor 900's now, which I like a lot, but I'm starting to think about their replacement.
FWIW, I skied on Atomic Vantage 83's for a season a couple of years ago but found them to be not quite enough ski and went back to the P900s.
I posted this same question on the 2023 Renoun Atlas 80 review as well.

clewis

Booting up
Skier
@SkiTalk Test Team Do you have a couple options similar but lean a little towards the finesse side? Currently on a rossi experience 88 but would like something more frontside orientated to progress my carving.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Please see Post #9 above.
How about these in 168 vs the 2023 Fischer RC One 82 GT in 166? (My P900's are 170; the Vantage 83's were 168.) I hope to demo next season when I'll be 75. I'll still want something that feels like a quick GS ski and is good on ice, but a bit of forgiveness and versatility thrown in would be nice. My 'thing' is steep New England groomers. I'll still probably go pretty fast - I'll just quit earlier in the afternoon!

Slider

Booting up
Skier
Hi @Philpug

This RC4 The Curv GT has other good reviews on the internet so it’s now on my short list for next season. The Protector bindings option being a major point for me !!
If noticeable during your test rides, how would judge the influence of the brand’s M-Track plate (looks to me like a race-oriented Power Rail base) on the overall ski performance ?
Do you have any picture of 23/24 version ? I would like to check on the next graphics if any :)

Cheers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have any picture of 23/24 version ? I would like to check on the next graphics if any :)
Subtle changes. Not enough to base a decision on especially if you can get a deal on this years.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about these in 168 vs the 2023 Fischer RC One 82 GT in 166?
I happened to ski those two skis in those exact lengths back to back a couple years ago. I'm aware that the longer lengths of the RC One 82 are substantial skis, but the 166 I tried was an extremely easy going 70/30 type all mountain ski. The Curv GT was a much more serious ski for carving hard snow at speed. They weren't really comparable. The RC One 86 was a really nice middle between the two, nevermind the width.

Sponsor