• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cage Match Comparison 2023 Head Shape V8 vs 2023 Head Supershape eRally

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Here is a great sibling rivalry between two upper 70 mm carvers from Head, the reference Supershape eRally and its little brother, the Shape V8. These two skis could be very good frontside biased East Coast skis, or the narrow end of a two (or three) ski quiver for Western skiers. Both of these offerings from Head have a clear target skier in mind; the question is, are you one of them?
  • Why choose the Supershape eRally: You are a skier who is looking for power; hard snow connection in a tight turning ski is a priority for you.
  • Why choose the Shape V8: Lighter finesse skiers rejoice, Head's Shape V8 is a great carver that does not take a lot of effort to ski but is tremendously rewarding.
  • Insider tip: Step up to the optional Protector binding for addition knee protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks, Phil.
Seems like the V8 is also a good teaching ski for carving. It's sorta "fan" shape front end avoids most any risk of hooking or mis-timing issues with turn initiation, in the Line Blade/Sakana family of sorta fan-shaped easy carvers (which includes Bode Miller's fan-shaped Crosson 78 near-race ski, and the various K2 Disruptions).

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is it fair to say that the V8 is suitable for a lower level skier...mainly a green & blue run skier, while the Rally is an any-groomer ski?

I had Rallys a couple of generations ago, before the i-Rally. Really liked them for all conditions up to ankle high soft snow. They did transfer average vibration to my bad knee. Now both the Rallys and that knee are gone, and this e-Rally may have much better vibration damping. My other Head e- skis damp vibration as well as much more expensive skis.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it fair to say that the V8 is suitable for a lower level skier...mainly a green & blue run skier, while the Rally is an any-groomer ski?
Yes, the Shape V8 would be a better choice for the skier coming up. The e-Rally is a ski for the skier who is already there. Shape V8=learn your turns, e-Rally=burn your turns. The e-Rally is a more serious ski while the V8 is a friendlier, hold-your-hand kind of ski. That's not to say it is a wimp. It can carve quite well; it just doesn't have the top end of the e-Rally.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
How does the eRally compare to the iRally?

Specifically the 2019/20 iRally. These:
1665526809432.png

Demo-ed the iRally and really liked them.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How does the eRally compare to the iRally?

Specifically the 2019/20 iRally. These:
View attachment 180324
Read the review from the 2021 eRally when the change was made...

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll like the eRally then. It has a very familiar iRally feel, but perhaps a bit more damp. The turn in isn't quite as abrupt; the hammerhead tip of the iRally has been calmed a bit. Still tons of grip, quick, and stable. It's a small evolution that makes the eRally a bit less aggressive.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Read the review from the 2021 eRally when the change was made...

From that review had a question on how far in the direction of the iTitan did Head go? 'Cause MHO the iTitan was a fun ski for the groomers but not my ski of choice for bumps where prefer a much more playful ski - like, say, the 2018 Fischer GT (80 underfoot IIRC) or the iRally.

If the move towards the iTitan is just "versatility and float" without losing the playful feel that would be fine.

@Andy Mink - thoughts?

For ref, looking for a ski a little wider than the 68 underfoot currently using. But still under 80. Looking for a little more versatility this time around. Needs to be good for tech skiing and then suitable enough for bumps / all terrain. Western Canada. Will be my one ski quiver.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From that review had a question on how far in the direction of the iTitan did Head go? 'Cause MHO the iTitan was a fun ski for the groomers but not my ski of choice for bumps where prefer a much more playful ski - like, say, the 2018 Fischer GT (80 underfoot IIRC) or the iRally.

If the move towards the iTitan is just "versatility and float" without losing the playful feel that would be fine.

@Andy Mink - thoughts?

For ref, looking for a ski a little wider than the 68 underfoot currently using. But still under 80. Looking for a little more versatility this time around. Needs to be good for tech skiing and then suitable enough for bumps / all terrain. Western Canada. Will be my one ski quiver.
I'm by no means a bump skier but I do better with skis that have more rise and are softer than any of the i or e series. Think along the lines of the new Rossi Experience 86Ti or Elan Wingman 86CTi. My feet are not fast enough to turn full or near full camber skis quick enough.

Re: the iTitan, I haven't been on that or the eTitan so I can't really compare.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The 177 e.Rally is a bit more versatile and capable all over the mountain than the more groomer centric 177 i.Rally; While I prefer the better grip, quicker feel, and greater energy of the i.Rally, many folks will like the broader performance window of the e.Rally.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am an older (76) and lighter (160 lbs) eastern skier. The V8 has been the narrow hard snow carver for me since it was first introduced several years ago. Demoed the Rally and V8 back to back and liked them both a lot. Felt the V8 had almost all the performance of the Rally and suited me and my skiing a bit better. Still very happy with the ski.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I spend a fair bit of time skiing with my wife, SIL and nieces. Love my i Titans, but always wonder if one of the V skis would be easier to bend into tighter arcs -- and let me spend less time waiting at the bottom of the hill.

But, they are tough to find for demo. Maybe I can find a pair in SV this year -- but my Wingman 82s are already serving this Quiver Spot pretty well.

Not quite your desired "under 80" but maybe consider the Rossi Experience 82 ti? I'm loving my 86 tis. Very versatile and accessibly "carvy".

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blossom Whiteout, now called Blossom AM77, I think. It skis technically, on edge, but also is great in crud, bumps, soft bumps, and some powder.
A very versatile but high performance ski. (And you can always put a 1/3 tune on it instead of just a 1/2, if you want it more precise and technical even.)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not quite your desired "under 80" but maybe consider the Rossi Experience 82 ti? I'm loving my 86 tis. Very versatile and accessibly "carvy".

Already have a pair of Rossi Exp84 HDs (2017/18 lotta vivid yellow/black topsheets/bindings) sitting in my son's garage in Canada. Still have quite a bit of life in them and plenty of edge. They do everything ok-ish but nothing particularly well.

The new 82 may well be very different to that older version of the 84. However there'll be no chance to test any narrow-ish skis where I'll be so prefer to stick with something close to what I've tried.

Blossom AM77

Thanks for the recommend but gonna limit this to something that is at least close to what I've tried.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Probably a rehash of something I've written before, but here it goes...

eRally vs iRally.... Slightly less side cut than the i, and is 78 vs 74 underfoot. The e loses the hammer head tip of the i. The e is a bit stiffer, more stable than the i. I never bonded with the iRally, but ski the 'e' fairly regularly. For me, they're a replacement for the iTitan, but without the hammer head tip.

I think the eRally is fun in bumps, versatile, and a great teaching ski and still quick turning with little additional energy required. They also make longer, faster turns well, which for me, the iRally just wasn't stiff or damp enough at higher speeds at 205 lbs out of the shower.

The new eTitan is more like the old Monster 83, more of a narrow all mountain ski. It needs to be driven if trying to make high performance tighter arcs. If you're looking to replace your M88 or 83, this may be your product.

When the snow here gets really firm, then the yellow skis come out... Rebels e and i speed. These are stronger skis with tremendous edge grip and require more precise input. I really love these and put them at or near the top of the more race constructed and plated carving ski collections offered by Head/Rossi/Blizzard/etc....

If I were starting a Head 3 ski quiver from scratch, I'd start with a Rebels eSpeed/eRace Pro, an eTitan, and a Kore 99, maybe 111. If they brought back the M88, it would replace the eTitan.

Sponsor