• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Head Worldcup Rebels e-Race Pro

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As with other tech, I think it would be interesting to ski one with and one without to feel the difference. A Renown without Vibestop. A Moment with and without Triple Camber. A Head with and without the electro gizmo. Elan with and without Amphibio. And so on.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Research articles investigating the effect of damping control technology have circulated on this site. I'd bet money that the solid and stable feel and race sucess of Head skis has everything to do with the density and shape of the core, the additional layers of fiber glass and carbon fiber, the sidewalls, the edges, the binding agents, high quality race construction, and so forth...and absolutely nothing to di with mechanical-electrical effects. Ridiculous. For me, the shear marketing hyperbole makes them loose a good share of credibility. Stockli, for example, makes a famously stable ski with no need of electrical damping...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
From my understanding, IIRC, the skis that have the gimicks are built to be less stiff when skied at lower speeds or lower energy levels, but stiffen up - but not quite up to the levels the skis built for speed and speed only are. This allows the ski to work for non-high performance skiing, without sacrificing as much high performance as they would have to without the "gimmick". I think Head used to have the piezo stuff on one model, but not on an otherwise simialar model.

Some gimmicks just don't do enough - e.g. The old antique Dynastars "chicken heart" SL skis - Paint shakers on crack at high speed.
I susupect the modrun UVO is a similar gimick - has an effect, but not nearly enough.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
I stand corrected and apologize to all parties for my scandalous slander--it seems that piezo electric damping is real. I love science...always interesting stuff to learn.

A Google search for piezo electric damping turned up this paper for a quick start.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbuil.2019.00064/full

I am still highly suspicious that it would/could do anything in skis, but it is theoreticvally possible at least.

Hmm....maybe this season I will rent those Head skis I've ben wanting to try....

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe DocGKR. He has a LOT of skis!!!
(BTW marketing hyperbole or not…I miss the absence of Salomon’s “edge amplifier”…..) I have two pairs of I-Rallys in the family. Interested in the e-Race Pros.

James

Out There
Instructor
@markojp--I agree. Certainly my loss and my personal issue. It's just such complete BS. Don't want to support as much as I know I would probably like the skis :(
K2 had this perception problem back when the K2 Four, Merlins, etc were made. They incorporated piezo electric powered dampening circuits that came from similar usage in military gun sights on moving vehicles. But…they put a little light in the ski to show it was working.

And everyone focused on the light and how ridiculous it was. It became all about the light.

It’s hard not to balk over the ridiculous naming of various mundane items in the ski industry. They don’t do themselves any favors.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Bruno Schull , I’m also averse to marketing BS on top sheets. But the @James test of tapping the tips together on the lift produces a distinctive note I haven’t heard or felt with other skis. And the on snow feel is exceptionally.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you like the way a ski skis does it matter what electro non-Newtonian magic is in or on the ski? Now ski color and top sheet design, those are entirely different matters!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If you like the way a ski skis does it matter what electro non-Newtonian magic is in or on the ski? Now ski color and top sheet design, those are entirely different matters!

I don't look at the topsheets anyway. :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
^ If you can read that you could be skiing staring at your skis. All too common.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Next year's top sheets are beautiful.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably taking the Protector thing too far. Then again, maybe not. Curious to see how they ski without a plate. They have such a smooth flex, could make bumps even more fun. I did try to order a Superflex PR Base (on Supershapes), but Tyrolia was out of stock.

IMG_0902.jpeg IMG_0903.jpeg

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor

Sponsor