• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta 2023 Inland NW/Idaho/Wyoming/Montana Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Us southern MT folks rolled north to
Whitefish and what a treat we had !
Don’t know about all this fog they’re reporting, nothing but blue skies, thinking it’s just a locals campaign to keep the riff raff away.

One heck of a place you have here @Sibhusky !
2 of the 4 with Great Northern Powder Guides, these guys are awesome and can highly recommend, our guides ripped.
Our cat went down in day 2 and a new one was in place in an hour, we skied till 5:00 to make up for the down time. Tons of runs and vert.
6D884AB0-AA48-4C45-9BDE-EACE8B0C433A.jpeg

242C9521-CEA3-451B-94BC-E7B8CEEBBA58.jpeg

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
2 of the 4 with Great Northern Powder Guides, these guys are awesome and can highly recommend, our guides ripped.

Did you primarily ski the west side of stryker ridge? Ive never done the cat skiing but ive seen them driving the cats full of people up the road while Ive been out touring.

Yes, its either foggy or bloody cold here!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
CTR - not sure about the ridge or it’s name, you do cross the highway from their office into forest service land. A fair amount of Northern facing terrain and great snow days after a storm. They do a fantastic job at farming it, leaving plenty of fresh lines for everyone.
Nice touch at the end of the day to ski down to a fridge in the woods, yes, more than one. Stocked with an assortment of cold ones ogsmile

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied Bridger Bowl today, was in High School the last time I skied it..20 years was too long. Conditions were fanastic, the mountain had 8 inches of snow on Wednesday with 2 inches falling over the night. Groomers had a nice coating of fresh snow which was fun to get my legs warmed up... 1679020574451.png

After that I hit the South Bowl and worked my over the Bridger lift... 1679020893622.png

Then the snow started to come down, made my way the Alpine lift for some low angle glade runs. A nice amount of untouched snow still from yesterday... 1679020968341.png

Finished the day back where I started, hit last chance a few times and few other runs while basking in the spring sun... 1679021151045.png

Lets just say it won't be another 20 years until I ski Bridger again, fun resort and you can't beat a lift ticket for under $80. Going to have to hit Schlasman's next time though.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last week I made it out to Lookout to try their new expansion for the first time. It's very fun!
eaglepk.jpg
This is the view of Eagle Peak from the only way in... the novice Tamarack trail down from the top of Runt Mountain, the original ski hill. The state line is along the ridge prominent in the center, with the most fun terrain the steep pitches off to looker's right, on the Idaho side.

This lift is Lookout's longest, 1350' vertical--Lift 3 is 1050'; 1 & 2 are about 800'. But despite its length, it skis shorter--shortish steep sections and long flats. It's a long ride, too... 12 minutes. I think this is the first time I've ridden the same lift in two locations--this was relocated from Sundance, Utah where it was the painfully-slow Ray's Quad (Sundance was a great resort even with that flaw--I bet the new high-speed Red's makes it even better). That was probably partly because of all the beginners it carried in Utah--at least in its current incarnation it didn't slow or stop much. 12 minutes is a long chair ride for a short steep section, but it's still a nice addition to Lookout's offerings. The planned Lift 6 will just serve the 750' steep section in Idaho (the new Lift 5 is in Montana), which should allow for great laps.

Eagle Peak stretches 500' higher than Runt Mountain, and the east- and northeast-facing terrain here stayed in nice packed powder conditions until they started chasing everyone off at 2:15; the rest of the afternoon was spring conditions on lifts 1 & 2 (they're only running 3 on weekends and holidays). So it's a welcome alternative for the springtime. I imagine it's a nice addition for powderhounds, too... there's some nicely gladed terrain that I'm sure keeps its stashes for a while.

The ski area was littered with signs warning people that they'd be towed if they parked on the bridge over I-10... go move your car ASAP. This seems like pretty clear evidence that Lookout's parking lot isn't big enough for their busy days at this point. I'm sure the base lodge feels pretty packed, too. Seems like even in the inland northwest, Saturdays aren't a good idea any more. Down the road, I'd love to see Lookout add a new lot and second day lodge somewhere near the bottom of Lifts 2 & 5. Hopefully with the ski school relocated there, and the beginner chairlift relocated over to double in serving novice terrain and direct access to Eagle Peak. Lookout's fixed-grip lifts and 3:30 closing time make it a little bitter to devote 15 minutes to riding up Runt Mountain then skiing down Tamarack each time you want to get over to Eagle. At least there's Montana Plumbing (port-a-johns) at the base of the new lift, so you don't have to leave.

Coomba

Booting up
Skier
(they're only running 3 on weekends and holidays).
This was a deal breaker for me, chair three has some of the best terrain on the mountain. I didn't get a pass this season since I'm a mid-week skier. They need to have all lifts operating when they are open.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't timed it right yet for good conditions on 3, but it looks like it'd be fun on the right day. Maybe now that the novelty's worn off Chair 5, they'll take the approach 49 North used to and alternate lifts... #5 on Monday and Tuesday, #3 on Wednesday and Thursday or something like that. Weekday crowds still seem sparse enough that it might not be profitable to run them all.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.