• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Kästle FX96 Ti

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Updated from previous season ...

Philpug:
The FX96 Ti has been updated with more metal in the construction last season and carries over unchanged for 2023. The current shape replaced the outgoing FX95/FX95 HP, which was somewhat polarizing, ie people either loved or liked it (very few haters). And now with metal, the Tri-Tech and all-new 3D shape will bring any fence-sitters into the the "love it" category. The new FX96 HP takes the best of the previous FXs: it has the precision of the FX94 and the playfulness and ease of the FX95 HP, and really you cannot ask for more that -- but wait, yes you can! How about a new, lower price?

Long term update (12/29/21): The new FX96Ti is just what Dr. Kastle expected out of the ski in this class. I like the outgoing, one year, FX96 enough, it was a really good ski but some felt it lacked some backbone and begged Kastle to add some metal to the construction and Kastle listened to them and added the two little letters that make aggressive skiers happy, "Ti". I for one is a person that is usually concerned when too many people get into the design process, does the camel come to anyone else's mind? Well this is not the case with the FX96Ti, adding metal didn't ruin the ski at all, it did just what Kastle wanted it to do, give it more strength but not step on the toes of the MX98, these are still too different animals and neither are camels.​

f8897577-4786-4b8f-a742-9e2b96289459-jpg.160767

Long term update (2/23/22): What a great ski for the Palisades leftovers. Pali had about 17" of cold blower in the past 24 hours and the FX96 handled both the leftovers and where they groomed the main arteries as if it was it's job ... I guess that is indeed the skis job and 96 underfoot to handle these types of conditions but what separates the class leaders or as we call them "Tester's Choice" winners are supposed to do. Yes, for the first couple of turns you hear the tip a bit but after those few early turns it goes away and all you hear is the big smile on yoru face. Expect a Cage Match between the Kastle and the new Fischer Ranger 96 next year.​
Out of the box base structure is a pristine chevron and the edges were set a little more hard than soft snow biased so it was a little catchy in the deeper cut up fluff but was scalpelesque on the run in. No worries, this can be addressed quickly with a gummy starting at the extremities.​
Insider tip: After spending more time on the FX93, we actually fent it was a littl stronger than we iniitally gave it credit for so we bumped up the power a bit.​

Drahtguy Kevin: "Easy and accessible all over the mountain" describes the FX96 HP. Any turn shape or size is a snap on this ride. Kästle brought back the metal and kept carbon this year, and the results are fantastic. The FX96 has excellent float and strength in soft, variable snow and an engaging tip with secure feel with power on the groomed. Turns happen at thought with giggles to follow. Wherever I took this ski, it performed admirably. Kästle took some huge steps with this build. Perhaps the best ski I was on at the Copper test. Time for me to start saving up....

Andy Mink: I had the FX96Ti out on incredible chalky conditions at Mt. Rose. Chalk in the trees, chalk in the bumps, chalk on the groomers The massive storm has left us with a great base and most of the powder has settled or blown into a nice wind buff. The first run down in some very flat light was not what I would consider a good introduction. The skis felt very grabby in the packed chalk when I was trying to just slip turns when I couldn't make out lumps and bumps. I've been on enough skis, though, to know I was more the problem than the skis. I was skiing tentatively. Luckily, the clouds receded and the sun came through and the skis shined. As @Philpug mentioned above, the tune is geared towards groomers but once we shook hands and made friends, the FX's had me heading back up the lift instead of back to the truck for another ski.

The skis feel very light and are easy to pivot on top of bumps or make quick changes in direction by either slipping the tails or just getting them off the snow. In the widely spaced trees I felt confident to pick up may speed a bit and enjoy the ride on the firm snow. On the groomers, fast GS turns were handled with no chatter, flap, or hesitancy. There is plenty of torsional stiffness to hold the ski in firm snow. The skis feel quite damp for being as light as they are. I've mentioned before that the Hollowtech makes for an audible ski and the FX96Ti is no exception. It sounds light and carbony but skis smoothly and quiet. I'm looking forward to riding these IN snow as opposed to ON it. If they're half as good in deeper conditions they'd be a fine part of a one or two ski quiver for most Tahoe-type conditions.

Awards
Who is it for?
A skier looking for versatility in the 90-something category with the Nth degree of refinement. Those looking to reduce the herd. This ski fills several slots in a quiver, justifying the price.
Who is it not for?
Kästles are not for everyone; some cannot justify the premium price. That's fine, there are viable options at lower price points. Skiers not willing to commit. This ski lives to perform.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
  2. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
  3. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
164, 172, 180, 188
Dimensions
133-96-119
Radius
18.1m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Updated construction
  2. New graphics
Ski Weight:
1935g
Binding options
  1. Flat

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0442.jpeg
Long term update:
The Kastle FX96 Ti eats leftovers like the were meant to be eaten. We recieved a couple of feet of snow in Tahoe over the past few days and like most resorts it got skied out and the main arteries received a good amount of grooming so what ski to do you pick to to ski a mix of off piste and deep groomers? Why the Kastle FX96Ti thats what. I took out the men's version and @Tricia grabbed the W version that was set up with the Tyrolia Attack Protector binding, mine was the regular Attack binding.

IMG_0444.jpeg

The FX 96Ti was the ideal choice for the early day groomers which turned into bump runs by late morning and the off piste that started off as soft fluff that also turned into bigger bumps by late morning. The FX's broad tip worked whatever conditions I threw at it and the squarer tail finished all the turns as if it was in it's DNA which it is. While there are a lot of mid 90 mm options, the Kaslte is one of the ones that will work all condtions that you would want it to, a great balance of groomer to chunk.

IMG_0443.jpeg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ah shucks, I was going to ask for dibs on the Ti if it was a 172 - I can see the printed 180 you highlighted now that I'm on the laptop, was viewing via the iPhone earlier when I posted the question

johnny40

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just wanted to chime in on the FX96 Ti! I've skiied it about 5 days now in Tahoe. So far this year we have had powder days, packed powder and even ice. I ski at Sugar Bowl and most of the runs are steep with bumps, not as many groomers as I'd like. However, I've had a chance to use these skis in a wide variety of conditions. Overall, the FX96 Ti ski is a beast.

I'm 5'7, 170 pounds, former racer, aggressive skiier. At 40 yrs old, I was hoping for a lighter ski, but was scared of the carbon route...maybe too much chatter for Tahoe conditions? Sizes for my body type were limited in that I felt in-between many sizes. Skis in the high 160's had too much rocker, while skis in the low 170's just felt too long! I ended up going with the 172 FX96 due to my weight, but thought hard about the Head Kore 93 in a 170.

So, this season has been one heck of a workout. The FX96s feel much heavier than my previous 168 Fischer Motive 95 Ti's. It's weird because the Fischers are slightly heavier--the difference is the rocker. There is not as much on the FX96, thus the 4cm difference corresponds to a much longer effective edge. I have had a difficult time using the Kastles in the 172, but still don't regret my decision. The skis have provided an excellent workout, and I need to get into shape! The Atomic Maverick in a 172 was an option, but I think I would still struggle in steep bumps due to the length.

Positives: The FX96 feels magnetic to the snow, no chatter ever for me, super stable. I can go as fast as I'd like. The lighter swing weight makes small table-top jumps easy as well! In widely spaced bumps, the skis mash through them and it's fun.

Negatives: This ski makes wider turns for me than the 16m sidecut would have me believe. It could be the length of the ski, but my GS turns are now Super G down the groomers. Also, since the skis are very damp, I have to be exerting a lot of energy in steep moguls. Moreover, if I am not using unwavering focus, I could fall.

After 5 days so far this season, my leg muscles are feeling strong --this is a good thing. I know the Head Kore 93 would be more versatile on the conditions I'm usually in--but I wanted metal. The Mantra M6 in 170 is a great build, but I wanted something lighter than my Fischers.

Just wanted to give my two cents on these skis! I'm still learning to ski them, and my wife says I'm never too old to learn new tricks.

If you guys have any comments, feel free to respond! I'm excited Phil likes this ski too, it is truly a well-made, powerful daily driver. Also, after 5 days there aren't any topsheet chips etc--the skis are very durable!

Hope this review helps someone!

Attachments

• 20221229_161933.jpg
    20221229_161933.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 45

DJC

Skier
Hi.

Would anyone know where I could get these skis?
I live in Australia and buying them here is not possible so online is the only way. I have had a good look and I'm after some more options.

Regards
Darren

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

johnny40

Skier
Just wanted to give another shout out to Kastle for the FX96 Ti. It's been a trustworthy companion this season, I couldn't have imagined a better season to own these skis. At 5 ft 7, I think the 96mm waist and large shovels were perfect for the powder days. The Titanal was amazing through the crud and icy patches. I took a video skiing the other day, feel free to check it out! I highly recommend demoing the Kastle. If you are taller l, the 106 Ti might work better, and if you are shorter, give the 86 Ti a go!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Finally got around to mounting the FX96 HP (the edition from a few years ago that had no metal) and am really enjoying them. Since its late season I haven't been able to test them in pow/leftover chop more than a few inches deep, but they have been a fun ski in the spring corn and handle firm conditions surprisingly well for a ski of this width and for being so lightweight.

For those that are interested in the ski but can't stomach the price, you can still find the FX 96 hp for under half the cost of the newer ti version.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I demoed 2023 Kästle FX96 Ti at Alyeska this April and enjoyed them so much that I rented them for 3 days in a row. Then in June I traded in my DPS 94 Pagoda Piste C2 for the Kastles FX96 Ti in 180 cm length at Powder 7. I look forward to skiing them this upcoming season.

I think FX96 Ti is an incredibly versatile ski, I had an amazing time skiing them in corn snow and slushy bumps and Alyeska, they were great on firm groomers the few times I encountered them. There were some reviews that say they are not very forgiving in bumps, but for me they were very easy to ski in all terrain and conditions I encountered in Alyeska in April, which is mostly spring skiing - corn/slush, lots of soft bumps, sometimes refrozen firm coral reef and firm groomers. Shout out and thank you to @Ron for bringing these skis to my attention.

I am a heavier and taller woman (over 6' feet), so maybe to a lighter skier these skis could feel more overbearing. For me though they were a lot of fun, forgiving and powerful, damp at the same time. My previous all mountain ski before this was DPS Pagoda 94 C2, they were fun, but not quite damp enough for my taste, though very easy to ski.

I also demoed 2024 Mantra M6 and 2024 Rustler 9 in April and for me and how I ski FX 96Ti was an absolute favorite. I didn't expect for Mantra to be somewhat overbearing, since I have demoed and enjoyed Kendo but Mantra required a lot more work and input as compared to Kastle, for me at least. Rustler 9 was fun but didn't give me as much precision on the groomers as I like to have. The ranking for me was Kastle #1, Rustler 9 #1 and Mantra #3.

Last edited:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
WOW, two of our favorite skis in this category. Not sure I could trade one for the other.
DPS were a lot of fun and many different conditions - I had a great time on them, but I think Kastle suit me better. Both are a great ski, as you and others say - it's a personal preference when it comes to ski choice.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
DPS were a lot of fun and many different conditions - I had a great time on them, but I think Kastle suit me better. Both are a great ski, as you and others say - it's a personal preference when it comes to ski choice.
As much as I like my Kastle FX 96HP, I'll bet i would like the the Ti version even better. Anyone know what the factory tune edge angles are? The tune right out of the box was total money for me. Absolutely incredible bite in icy conditions but still nice in softer snow.

Sponsor