• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Kästle MX83

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug: The outgoing MX83 and MX84 were the gold standard for many of our readers as well as sales leaders in the MX collection, so the reintroduced MX83 had some big shoes to fill. Like the rest of the collection, the MX83 has a level of obtainable performance that the previous generations never had, and that makes the ski better. In the past, there was a price of admittance to “Club MX," but it has dropped some.

Long-term update: Entry into the turn is with the new HollowTech 3 and new tip shape was as smooth as buttah. The 16.3m radius for the 175 is right in the middle of the pack in this premium class, and Kästle did a good job with the new design to create a ski that wasn't limited by a single turn shape.​
The recurring question we get is, "How does the new MX83 compare to the previous MX84?" I try not to use 10 words when I can use one, but I would say the one word that the team at Kästle keeps coming back to is "obtainable." The whole new MX collection is now obtainable in power, smoothness, and refinement. Kästle admitted to a slight loss of top end to achieve this new goal; after skiing the new MX83 last year, and a well-tuned pair this year, I have yet to feel the compromise. The one thing that might not still be obtainable is the price point: they are still a premium ski, but very few who bought a Kästle ever said they weren't worth the price of admission.​

Insider tip: The finish of these new MX skis far surpasses anything Kästle has offered before.​

Drahtguy Kevin: The MX83 is the best of both the MX75 and MX88. All the MX tips are grand, but the one on the 83 stands out. Driving it into the turn, feeling the irregularities in the snow vanish, and popping into the next turn -- it's all bliss. This ski trucks through soft piles while remaining nimble in bumps and tight areas. I'm not sure I want to test the speed limits of this confidence-inspiring whip.

Insider tip: Commit to the turn and let ‘er rip.​
Andy Mink:
Size tested: 175cm
Location tested: Mammoth Mountain, CA
Conditions tested in: early morning groomers starting to get cut up

Smooth, great turn initiation, good pop coming out of the turn describe Kästle’s MX83. The MX83 prefers to be on edge, though slipping the tails can be done with a little encouragement. They're very quiet on the snow with a nice, damp ride that still feels lively. Like other Kästles I've been on recently, there is an audible quality to the ski that doesn't translate to vibration in the boot. The Hollowtech tip does its job. When you let the ski loose, you'll be going fast enough to not hear the tip noise anyway! At speed, the MX83 is very stable and encourages you to go faster and turn harder.
  • Insider tip: You don't have to bring your A game but it'll be a lot more fun if you do!
  • One thing I would change: Nit picky--quiet the tip.
Tricia: The MX line got quite the makeover for the 2020-21 season. One of the things you’ll notice is that the MX84 is gone, replaced by the MX83. The changes in dimensions and wood construction have made the difference Kästle was looking for. This new MX comes with a gorgeous structure that you’d expect from this premium brand; it was ready to slice through the snow like butter. When I dabbled off piste a bit, the MX83 handled the bumps and crud pretty darn well, but it was clear that this ski really shines on piste.

Insider tip: For something a little better off piste, check out the MX88.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Instructors; this will be a great teaching ski because it gets going much quicker than the old model. Those who appreciate the smoothness of Kästle and want a narrower, easy carving, frontside ski.
Who is it not for?
Smooth and damp doesn't necessarily mean easy skiing. Beginners and low intermediates won't be able to wring out what this ski can do.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
154, 161, 168, 175, 182
Dimensions
126-83-112
Radius
16.3m@175cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Video review added.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pivots have brakes in 75 then jump to 95. I have a set with 95s that I planned on putting on these skis. Am I better off finding some 75 brakes and swapping out to eliminate the over hang of the 95s?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Pivots have brakes in 75 then jump to 95. I have a set with 95s that I planned on putting on these skis. Am I better off finding some 75 brakes and swapping out to eliminate the over hang of the 95s?
I can't speak to whether the 75mm brakes are workable, but I know I never liked the overhang of the 95s on an 85mm ski I owned. It's not just the overhang; it's the fact that these brakes don't retract nicely in two planes like some of the Tyrolia brakes, for example.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's not just the overhang; it's the fact that these brakes don't retract nicely in two planes like some of the Tyrolia brakes, for example.
Yes, that is one of the shortcomings in this case for Pivots.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cage match v Blizzard Brahma 82? And throw in the old Head Monster 83 for sentimental reasons too?

James

Out There
Instructor
Put a race binding on it. 85mm brake that retracts enough for a 65 ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0769.jpeg
Long term update: We just received our 2023 MX83's for our test fleet and we decided to switch up and toss a curveball or two and one where our usual sample size is the 175 cm, we asked for the next size down, the 168 cm so @Tricia can spend a little more time on the ski. Also, where would usually put on a Salomon Strive 14 demo, because of Kastle's relationship with Tyrolia and a good amount od buyers will choose the MX83 with a Tyrolia system binding, we decided to put on Tyrolia's all new Protector 13 system binding.
IMG_0771.jpeg

Hopefully we will get a break in our storm cycles and @Tricia will get a chance to get on these before we get on the road.

Yes, those are the new Kastle boots in the background, expect a review coming soon on them too.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
dibs

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 187771 Long term update: We just received our 2023 MX83's for our test fleet and we decided to switch up and toss a curveball or two and one where our usual sample size is the 175 cm, we asked for the next size down, the 168 cm so @Tricia can spend a little more time on the ski. Also, where would usually put on a Salomon Strive 14 demo, because of Kastle's relationship with Tyrolia and a good amount od buyers will choose the MX83 with a Tyrolia system binding, we decided to put on Tyrolia's all new Protector 13 system binding.
View attachment 187770
Hopefully we will get a break in our storm cycles and @Tricia will get a chance to get on these before we get on the road.

Yes, those are the new Kastle boots in the background, expect a review coming soon on them too.

I hope @Tricia has these next time I ski with you. I would love to give them a run!

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied the MX83 for the first time today. Me 6', 170#, Lange RX130LV with Mimic Professional liners, ok skier. The MX83s are 175s mounted with Look SPX bindings. Bought the ski for front side groomers days like today at Breck. Fit and finish is top notch. Base structure is outstanding. Put the true bar to the bottoms and they appear very flat.

These skis are smooth, silky smooth, unflappable, planted (albeit on groomers). Turn them over on edge they grab and arc into sweet carves. The transition from edge to edge is seemless and quick. You can ski them fast or slow and they happily turn regardless of speed. They make quick tight turns or you can run them in big high speed sweepers. Edge bite and hold is terrific. Rebound coming out of a turn is good without being overwhelming. You ski these skis, they don't ski you.

Anyone looking for a frontside ski can't go wrong with this one.

Sponsor