• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Kästle MX98

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Updated from previous season ...

Philpug:
There have been a few incarnations of the MX98 over the years, from the original offering to the second, mass-market MX98 (quickly renamed the BMX98) to the rebirth of the MX99 and now, the MX98 in it's second graphic cycle. Yes, that's a lot to take in -- so where does the current model fit?

Kästle is convinced that you can still have a powerful ski that does not require the skills of a powerful skier and that shows nowhere more than the new MX98. The original MX98 (and MX99) were skis that separated the men from the boys and lived up to Kästle's tagline, “Skis built for skiers.” The new MX98 has much of the power of the aforementioned versions but those attributes are now accessible by better skiers who have a solid skillset and yet still are a weapon of choice for the best skiers on the hill. The new MX98 retains that wide GS ski feel, and the addition of a (very small) bit of early rise makes it much better off piste and in mixed conditions.

Insider tip: We lost the top end of the old model, but for the masses, this is a better ski.​
Drahtguy Kevin: The big brother of the MX line is exactly that. This is a lot of ski that requires the pilot’s attention. The MX98 is a strong and inspiring ride in less-than-ideal late-day conditions; nothing seems to get in its way. Bumps aren’t its forte, but open space and big turns bring grins.

Insider tip: Buckle your helmet and hang on. This ski moves.​
Wade Holiday
Length Tested: 178
Conditions tested in: hard snow, mixed terrain.

So, I probably skied the original MX 98, in the 174, about 400 days over a period of 5 years when I was skiing a lot, and I loved it. But this one didn’t speak to me. It has an odd resonance that feels like it’s coming out of the hollow tech tip, I haven’t loved any Kästle since they went to the extra pieces in that tip. The original MX 98‘s tip used to be wood with a clear layer, but now there is a transition layer of plastic. With the larger window, it seems to almost buzz. Enough negative, it’s still a super solid, wide, limited sidecut old school bruiser. I just don’t ski fast enough to make it smile.

One thing I would change: Something about the new Hollowtech needs adjustment IMO, that sound is bothersome to me.​

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers who want a smooth and refined 98mm ski that is not necessarily off-piste-biased. Big-boned or highly proficient skiers will like the 98 when space allows.
Who is it not for?
Bigger, stronger skiers who gravitated to the outgoing model ... sorry. Start stockpiling skis now.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Off Piste
  2. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
169, 178, 187
Dimensions
137-98-120
Radius
20.9m@178cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip rocker
Construction design
  1. New graphics
Binding options
  1. Flat
Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
video review added.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
You missed the version between the round tail c. 2014-2015 and the 2019 mx99 which was similar to the og/original version.

18A658CC-CFC2-47B2-81F5-5A39FF683760.jpeg

BDF90772-DCB7-467D-8A7E-E24E72ACEF45.jpeg

5AA47E74-349B-437A-BA56-EBDB74F0E512.jpeg

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Video was good here. Feel like your team is still finding your voice with the videos. It's getting better.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0803.jpeg
Long term update: Mt. Rose has been in a storm cycle of late, a great time to be able to update reviews for wider skis like the MX98. Salomon sent me a pair of Sth Steels that I was so tempted to mount on these but that would limit who could get on the skis since they have about 10mm of travel and starting with my 295 mm shell none of our other testers woud have the option. So I ended up making the right choice of installing the Salomon Strive demo.

For a quiet ski on the snow, the Hollowtech 3.0 tip is a bit audible in that it does reverberate sound, something we have noticed with many of the Kastle skis of late, it has no effect of performance but for some it is a bit disconcerting.

Where many of the skis in this range tend to be soft snow biased, the MX98 really feels like a wide narrow ski in that it is a bit hard snow biased so it is a great option for those who ski in areas that get a lot of heavier snow and wind buff. In these conditions is where the MX98 really comes into its own.

Sponsor