• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Lusti CWR+ 95

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Length tested: 180 cm
Location tested: Palisades Tahoe/Mammoth
Conditions: Everything spring

Philpug: Ever just look at a ski, pick it up and flex it and immediately know, this ski is going to be really good? Well it was lust(i) at first sight when I opened up the box and saw the Cross Wider Rocker plus 95 (CWR+ 95). Lusti is a new-to-the-US market Czech brand that is being brought in by Premier Skis.

The shape of the CWR+ 95 is extremely progressive for a brand that I assumed was extremely traditional in design. From tip to tail, the 95mm offering has it going on. The tip of the 95 has a nice amount of flair and shape, combined with a nice round early rise into a minimal cambered mid body to a square race tail that has minimal rise. This is a 95 for skiers who prefer to carve no matter what the conditions are. There is a suppleness that these skis have that usually comes with a price tag that has a comma in it. These skis look and ski well above their price point.

Scotskier: The CWR+ 95 is easy to ski and forgiving, comfortable and stable in the fall line, giving a smooth ride. Responds well without a lot of input required at medium speeds. Prefers slightly softer snow (as you would expect!). Not as much bite or hold on steeps with harder snow (slightly surprising with the flat tail) so takes a bit more effort. (eg top pitch of Sibo took a lot more work). Skis quite like a Rossi 94TI with less hard snow performance, but a but smoother ride.

• Insider tip: The factory mount point is way off, mount +3cm (180cm)
  • One thing I would change: Another size offering for smaller skiers.

Awards
Who is it for?
Those who want the rare balance of value and refinement.
Who is it not for?
Introverts, you will be asked often "Who is Lusti; I’ve never heard of them?"
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
  3. Powder
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
174, 180,186
Dimensions
136/95/120
Radius
18.4m@180cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I had the opportunity to ride the Lusti CWR+ 95 at Palisades during a rather warm day. We were late getting up and conditions were mostly sticky, grabby snow. The one exception was heading down to Shirley Lake chair on the race practice course that had been salted. While I didn't get on the skis in prime conditions, bad snow will show the heart of a ski. The 95 is very stable at the lower speeds I was able to attain and I could tell it had a lot more there that I just couldn't get to that day. It's very easy to make different shaped turns and held well on the salted, firm snow. On the growing bumps on Siberia they were easy to flick around; they don't feel heavy at all. I'm looking forward to skiing them on a day when I'm more concerned about making turns in great snow than going over the handlebars in the sticky stuff.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Mt. Rose received about 15" of fresh, light stuff on Thursday and winds kept the area closed. I went up Friday morning a little late and the snow was as expected: any ungroomed was tracked out and bumped up. I didn't feel there was enough base to duck off piste into the trees and sounds from riding the lift confirmed that decision. The bumps were all soft piles with no real pattern. They were everywhere. As I've mentioned, bumps are not my strong point but the Lustis just popped on, in, and around or just flowed between, whatever your pleasure. They reacted quickly to direction changes and never hung up anywhere, even with the rather square tail. There's enough rise there to keep the tail out of trouble.

The groomed runs, while smoothed out, were not exactly what I'd call compacted. This wasn't snow to drive a ski in or you'd bury it. No worries, the CWR+ is very easy to modulate in the unconsolidated groomers. Long flowing turns followed by quicker turns were easy. Pick the shape, the ski responds. Over any lumps and bumps the skis are very quiet and composed. Even at the bit higher speeds, they tracked well and felt very stable.

Honestly, I'd put this ski up against any other in the mid-90 category. At the price point, it's a no brainer. (See @Premier Skis discount code in the 2022 Gift Guide and save $125 through 12/11/22!) If 95 underfoot is a bit wide there is also the CWR+ 91 and the CWR 87. While I haven't been on the 91, the 87 is a fine ride too!

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Each year, day one on the snow has always felt like learning how to walk again. Most times I’ve made an effort to ski alone for day one of the season so I can go at my own pace and get reacquainted with the snow. This season was the first year that felt like I’ve been doing it for long enough that it just felt right.

Day 2 of the season. Why not start testing skis?! I don’t think I could’ve picked a better ski to test on day two. The Lusti CWR+ 95 Was terrific. I got on this ski without any preconceived ideas. No expectations. I have to use the word “wow”. Getting on a ski you’ve never heard of that ends up being this good is unusual. The Lusti CWR+ 95 is playful but up to a challenge. If I was given $1,200 and told I could go pick a ski in this class, I would grab this ski, leave the ski with comma in the price tag on the wall, and pocket the extra $500.

At 6’1, 215lbs the only place I found this ski lacking was when I would hold back from reaching my top speed; however that could possibly be remedied by going up to the next length.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I got the big CWR out in some prime conditions at Deer Valley. It was cold with a lot of light fresh (day old) snow pushed into soft piles in some spots and friendly lines in the trees. I am currently having a lust(i) affair with the Lusti CWR 87 but the 95 was absolutely wonderful on the soft groomers, powder stashes, bumps, and trees. Throw in the fact that they also performed really well on the scraped off hard snow heading down to the Jordanelle gondola.

The skis are very smooth and damp yet retain a light feel. The sidecut is deceptive in that it draws you into the turn very quickly, yet can be altered at a whim. In the soft bumps and trees, the 95s pivot and turn without any tail hook. Edge hold while carving is strong and, dare I say, delightful. I usually don't gravitate towards "wider" skis on groomers and shallow soft snow but I could see having these in a full time quiver with the CWR 87 as a narrower partner. They are a mid 90 that deserves a look if you're in the market for a ski in that segment.

20230130_172832.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: So, have you heard the conditions in Utah have been pretty good? Well, that's were I got on the CWR+95. We had phenomenal conditions at Sundance (take a look at the photos) and the Lustis responded in kind. The main lift had been struck by lighting a day or two prior, then there was light, champagne powder falling that day and through the night. It was untouched when we arrived Wednesday morning to an almost empty Sundance. From shin to knee-deep powder, to soft bumps with a little scrape beneath, into the trees, and through cut up puff, the Lustis just added to the confidence I already enjoyed with them.

For a 95 underfoot ski, they floated quite well yet retained the quick turn initiation that makes them so likable on groomers. My first quick run of the day was a groomer that had about 3-4" of fresh. So fun! In the soft bumps the CWR+ is easy to maneuver either around or on the the mounds. In tight trees, that same easy turning makes short work of last second trajectory changes.

For a ski that I barely saw due to deeper snow the day at Sundance, the Lustis proved again at Brighton that they are just as competent on groomers. Thursday dawned without snow coming down and the groomers at Brighton allowed for some quick rips. As I mentioned up thread, the CWR+95 could be that perfect mid-wide quiver filler with the CWR87 as a slightly narrower partner.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: This may be getting repetitive, but here's another update on the CWR+95.

I went up to Mt. Rose this morning after looking at the report which I swear said 3-4" overnight. We got a dusting in NW Reno, so that sounded normal. I figured I'd take the Lustis as there was still quite a bit of leftovers to be had from yesterday, or so I thought. It turns out that at some point during my drive up the hill the report went from 3-4" to 14-16"! This was no lie, and in some spots the wind had filled in even deeper. I had constant knee to mid-thigh and deeper hits. Now, if I was on a wider ski that floated more those shots wouldn't have been so deep but the takeaway here is, at 95 underfoot, the CWR+ handled the deep pretty darn well, especially considering the heft and powder inexperience of the pilot!

The new snow was light by Tahoe standards, bordering on Utah light but not quite. The challenge came from the constant wind creating a little wind pack in spots. The other challenge was the wind lips that ranged from ski over to ski off in size. I continue to be impressed by the wide performance band of the Lustis; I'd be hard pressed to think of another ski in the mid 90s that I've been on that seem to handle such a wide spectrum of conditions at such a high level.
20230307_094423.jpg
20230307_104005.jpg

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, I think maybe you should buy a pair. I am tempted after skiing on them.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell me more about the mounting point and the relative merits of using the Vist system binding vs using my AAtack 13 bindings

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell me more about the mounting point and the relative merits of using the Vist system binding vs using my AAtack 13 bindings
@Philpug always puts a new ski up against a reference ski in a category. For the most part, the mount points should be close. Both the CWR 87 and CWR+ 95 had mount points that were noticeably further back. Those skis (the 95 you skied) were mounted several centimeters forward of suggested with Strive demo bindings. Phil and I skied an 87 with the Vist mounted close to center and it felt like a different ski. With the binding moved forward some, it felt better.

For the 95 I don't think a plate binding setup is necessary. You'd want to be lower on the ski anyway (less height on wider skis = happier knees!) and don't need the extra stiffness a plate offers. An AAtack would be fine IMHO. The bonus to the Vist, though, is the ability to play with mount point, much like a demo binding. What do you think, Phil?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, the Vist system is not an option on this ski, flat mount it, Attack binding is fine.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO, the Vist system is not an option on this ski, flat mount it, Attack binding is fine.
thanks you. AND: in the review you say to mount the binding +3 - is this how your demo is mounted?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Hi, yeah, it's me again. I've been at Mt. Rose on the CWR+ 95s several times with varying conditions. While skiing with @Stephen I determined my skiing style: Mellow with flashes of exuberance, or something along those lines. I've been dragging these skis all over the mountain, into areas that I haven't been before. That means there are some lines that can be described as questionable. Either surprise trees or this year's favorite surprise, big wind lips that just seem to appear. Some are pretty mellow, others have a several foot drop. Not once have I felt under skied in these situations.

Conditions between storms has been shallow blown in snow over firm with patches of deeper snow in low spots. I even took them *gasp* into the Chutes at Rose, somewhere I normally don't tread. When I do it's in one of the smaller ones but today I ventured into Beehive, one of the medium sized ones. Still plenty steep with the fun of 4" over somewhat packed with avy debris scattered about. Other than having to stop and catch my breath a few times I felt totally comfortable on the 95s. If someone told me at the beginning of the season that a 95 waist ski would be my go to I'd have said, "nah". That may be true during a normal season but this one has been anything but. Maybe a person needs a normal year one ski quiver and a banner year one ski quiver!
20230319_165017.jpg

Playing with the CWR+ 95 on a berm created by the wind blowing huge amounts of snow across the Sunset run. Photo by @Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is going to be tough to get these off of @Andy Mink's feet. Whenever I go to look for them, oh they are at Mink's house.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think these would/might have suited me better than the Blossom Pure 99s.

From what you guys say, and the dimensions, they seem like a bit of a toned-down, modernized Fischer Motive 95.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think these would/might have suited me better than the Blossom Pure 98s.

From what you guys say, and the dimensions, they seem like a bit of a toned-down, modernized Fischer Motive 95.
I think that's what @bbinder was comparing them against above^^. Bob's been on both. I've been on the Pure 99s a few times; they are definitely more chargy than the the CWRs and aren't my cup o' Joe. They want to be driven like a GS ski where the CWRs are much more flickable while still having good manners on groomers while carving.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think that's what @bbinder was comparing them against above^^. Bob's been on both. I've been on the Pure 99s a few times; they are definitely more chargy than the the CWRs and aren't my cup o' Joe. They want to be driven like a GS ski where the CWRs are much more flickable while still having good manners on groomers while carving.

Those sound fun, and that's exactly how I found the Pure 99, esp in the 188 size.

In any event, I'm set for next season. I'm adding to my Mindbender quiver. The 108s are by far my favorite ever resort pow and chop ski, so I grabbed a pair of the newer, more friendly MB 99 tis for giveaway pricing.

I've sworn by my older Enforcer 100s for 5 seasons, but they are pretty beat up, and the newer, heavier, stiffer version did not appeal to the old knees -- perhaps my brief fling with the Pure 99s made me overly-cautious.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think these would/might have suited me better than the Blossom Pure 99s.

Modernized: yes. Toned down: not so sure. I get plenty of energy out of the Motive 95s and I can go as fast as my confidence allows me to go. I was a little skeptical of the Lustis because of the flatter camber underfoot compared to the Motives. But the tip on the Lusits pulls you into the turn so fast that I don’t miss the ‘springiness’ that I feel with the Motives. I can certainly ski as fast in either ski, and the Lusti feels more damp (which is welcome to my aging knees). The Lusti feels so easy to ski hat it almost feels like cheating.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Modernized: yes. Toned down: not so sure. I get plenty of energy out of the Motive 95s and I can go as fast as my confidence allows me to go. I was a little skeptical of the Lustis because of the flatter camber underfoot compared to the Motives. But the tip on the Lusits pulls you into the turn so fast that I don’t miss the ‘springiness’ that I feel with the Motives. I can certainly ski as fast in either ski, and the Lusti feels more damp (which is welcome to my aging knees). The Lusti feels so easy to ski hat it almost feels like cheating.
So how would you compare these overall to the Motives? I'm still skiing mine, but always thinking about what's next.

Sponsor