• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Lusti MP 77

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug:
Size tested: 177cm
Location tested: Palisades Tahoe, CA
Conditions tested in: Softening firm groomers, hard solid crust

We get the question a lot: "What is an all mountain ski that I can progress on?" If you are a guy, the Lusti Men's Progress 77 or its moniker the MP 77. Yes, this is another very familiar shaped ski at 130/77/112 that will make a multitude of turn shapes at a multitude of speeds including all but the highest that you would expect from an all mountain ski, but that‘s what you have the Performance Carve or PC 77 for.

Yes, I was able to find the limits of the MP, but quite frankly that is when I put the ski in uncomfortable places (not unlike the back seat of a Volkswagen). Where the MP77 is most comfortable is holding your hand and walking you though your progression, and while it will help you get better and find your turn, it will not punish you, but (like other Lusti skis) reward you with a silky smooth turn no matter the snow conditions.
  • Insider tip: No need to step up to the Speedlock.
  • One thing I would change: Better discription of the MP 77 on Lusti's site.

Andy Mink:
Size tested: 177cm
Location tested: Palisades Tahoe, CA
Conditions tested in: Softening firm groomers, hard solid crust

The MP77 provides a more mellow ride than the PC 77 in the same dimensions. It definitely has a limit where a bigger guy, i.e. me, or a stronger skier will find its limits when pushed, but it needs to be pushed pretty far first. On the softer morning groomers the MP77 carves very smoothly with confidence. On the firmer, steeper, runs the little brother to the excellent Lusti PC 77 loses some grip at higher edge angles. The loss comes on progressively so there are no surprises and it's easily managed.

The softer flex makes the MP77 a bit more inviting in bumps and more uneven terrain than the stronger PC 77.

• Insider tip: It skis true to length but I'd err on the longer side if between lengths.
  • One thing I would change: Nothing. I think Lusti hit the nail on the head for the expectations of this ski. And the graphics are great!

Who is it for?
The advancing skier looking for a very capable ride to take them to the next level on groomers and light off piste duty. Skiers with a good skills foundation looking to improve, or lightweight experts with a great foundation.
Who is it not for?
Heavier or stronger skiers will find the ski's limit (but will have to work for it).
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
Dimensions
130/77/112
Radius
13.7m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I've been on a pair of Volkl RTM 79s for several seasons as my first skis. They work great for me but sometimes, when I'm going fast, they get chattery and feel soft. I'm working on both carving (not there much) and being more comfortable at higher speeds.

I weight175ish, or maybe a little more due to the pandemic, at 5'10". Not a charger, trying to ski smoother and better. All East coast groomers.

I'd been looking at the Blossom AM77 with the lightest plate for next season, but these are a lot cheaper.

Would these skis be a noticeable step up from my Volkls? Or should I try for the Blossoms.

Not sure about sizing of either ski either (170 or 177); my Volkls are 170s.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been on a pair of Volkl RTM 79s for several seasons as my first skis. They work great for me but sometimes, when I'm going fast, they get chattery and feel soft. I'm working on both carving (not there much) and being more comfortable at higher speeds.

I weight175ish, or maybe a little more due to the pandemic, at 5'10". Not a charger, trying to ski smoother and better. All East coast groomers.

I'd been looking at the Blossom AM77 with the lightest plate for next season, but these are a lot cheaper.

Would these skis be a noticeable step up from my Volkls? Or should I try for the Blossoms.

Not sure about sizing of either ski either (170 or 177); my Volkls are 170s.
These will be a step up from the Volkl's for sure, then the Blossoms a step up from these then the PC77 up from the Blossoms. Small steps but steps none the less. If going with the 170, the AM77 or the PC77 if you are investing in a change.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just watched the video. Looks like these are in the ballpark of whiteouts and AX.

They don't seem to be on premierskis.com. Did they get sold out already?!?
Might there be another source?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just watched the video. Looks like these are in the ballpark of whiteouts and AX.

@Premier Skis to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor

We are updating our website as we speak. We should have the site updated tomorrow and a page with our preseason sale specials up at the same time. Stay tuned!

Mike

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want a mellow front side ski would you pick Blossom AM77 or Lusti MP77?
The Lusti MP77 is more mellow than the Blossom, especially for a larger skier. I've yet to find the top end speed-wise of the Blossom, though I'm not a speed freak. The Lusti MP77 is a more relaxed ride, allowing the skier to not have to be as tuned in to the ski, if that makes sense. It skis very nicely at low to medium speeds, with good snow feel and a smooth ride. It carves really well on firm snow but loses some ground when it gets really hard. I had the chance to ski them on some training runs that had been salted at Palisades. They hold adequately but are not super hard snow experts. They'd be easier all around for someone who isn't going to push their limits.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Lusti MP77 will be mellower but the AM77 will be a bit quieter and more refined.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It will also depend on how you choose to mount the Blossoms (or any other ski). Mounted flat with no plate they'll be somewhat softer. With the Speedlock Pro Light plate they do get a stiffer flex. My personal AM77s have that setup. I've skied the AM77 with the Speedcom plate and could tell it was a little softer. @bbinder has his mounted flat, I believe, but I haven't skied them flat.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Lusti MP77 will be mellower but the AM77 will be a bit quieter and more refined.

My principle "frontside" ski now is the Fischer RC One 86GT (very much like this ski and not sure if the AM or MP would give me much more). Neither would be my everyday ski, simply change of pace skis when the mood strikes and want to stick to carving on groomers. All skiing in Western Rockies. Given that which would you think is a better fit? Also undecided on plates or mounting with Pivots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My principle "frontside" ski now is the Fischer RC One 86GT (very much like this ski and not sure if the AM or MP would give me much more). Neither would be my everyday ski, simply change of pace skis when the mood strikes and want to stick to carving on groomers. All skiing in Western Rockies. Given that which would you think is a better fit?
I think you will want more of a ski than the MP77, either the AM77 or even the PC77 if you are staying with Lusti.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the system bindings on my RC One's. They act effectively as demo bindngs. Do the VSP 412's on the VIST speedcoms work effectively the same way or are they "fixed" on to the plate?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have the system bindings on my RC One's. They act effectively as demo bindngs. Do the VSP 412's on the VIST speedcoms work effectively the same way or are they "fixed" on to the plate?
The same, and the toe and heel move separate.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My principle "frontside" ski now is the Fischer RC One 86GT (very much like this ski and not sure if the AM or MP would give me much more). Neither would be my everyday ski, simply change of pace skis when the mood strikes and want to stick to carving on groomers. All skiing in Western Rockies. Given that which would you think is a better fit? Also undecided on plates or mounting with Pivots.
Imo an easy going front side ski like an am 77 really solves many of the same use case as a wide carver up through a low 90s. So it may come down to which ski you like more or if the personality of the ski meshes with your style more than another.

I have skied my whiteouts / am77 with and with out the visit plate. And imo, the ski gains more on piste with the plate than they loose off piste when compared with a flat binding.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have skied my whiteouts / am77 with and with out the visit plate. And imo, the ski gains more on piste with the plate than they loose off piste when compared with a flat binding.

Uh-oh you are making me rethink my plan to Pivots on the AM77’s I just ordered. @Philpug knows I love nothing more than to overthink my gear purchases

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: Mt. Rose has been skiing oh-so-well this season, especially after waves of storms. I've been on the Lusti CWR 87 for a few days and enjoying immensely. Things have settled to some outstanding groomers so I pulled the MP77 from the SkiTalk home base and went for a rip. Now, the groomers are pretty soft so I can't speak again to the edge hold on boilerplate but on the softish Rose snow the 77s performance was superb. They just get into a turn and hold really smoothly, with only a bit of tip wobble at higher speeds and edge angles. They will trench this softer stuff but in a mellow manner. Fast or slow, cruising or zooming, they are just super confidence inspiring. I skied the MP77, the PC77, and the Blossom AM77 on three separate days and the MP77 is the "easiest" of the three. They are more forgiving than the Blossom, which in turn is a bit easier to initiate turns than the more powerful PC77.

The MP77 is the ski that will take a good carving skier up to the next level and provide an easy ride when cruising yet turn with authority on those softer groomer days. A lighter skier with good skills and a 1/3 tune could make a good argument to use them on anything but the hardest of snow. Heavier skiers on hard snow will probably want to step it up to the PC77 and enjoy the stronger ski.
20230121_085916.jpg

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Having never been on a sub mid 80mm ski....is this a ski worth checking out if one is interested in trying narrower / frontside oriented skis? or is the ...CWR 87 the better option.

I am 5'10 180-190lbs and was considering the 177

Sponsor