• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Lusti PC 71

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Size tested: 165cm
Location tested: Palisades Tahoe, CA
Conditions tested in: Softening groomers, chopped up bumps, some springy slush

Philpug: You want a low 70mm ski but don't know what turn shape you want? No worries, the 71 mm wide PC 71 has one for you. With size offerings from 160 cm to 185 cm and radii from 11 meters to 14 meters, the PC 71 can appeal to many.. Yes, the Performance Carve's sizes are scaled: the waist of 71 is constant, while the tip and tail adjust in width.

Like all of the other Lusti skis we have been on, it’s quiet and smooth. The PC 71 will give you back exactly what you put into it. If you want to take it easy, the 71 will work the turn, and if you want to ramp it up, no problem, bring it. The PC does not pretend to be a full on race ski, but if you want a tecnical ski that will do everything, here is your ski.

• Insider tip: Step up to the Vist Speedlock; you are still ahead of the game in price.
  • One thing I would change: I'd bring a 170 cm or 175 cm into our test fleet.

Scotskier: The Lusti PC 71 is easy to ski and less demanding than a real slalom ski. It needs a lot of effort to make quick edge-to-edge direction changes. and is happiest in medium radius turns where it remains stable and solid without being nervous. But really anyone with reasonable skills would find a much larger performance envelope with a 165 FIS slalom ... in the 165 cm length.

Andy Mink: Zipzipzipzip...that's how I pictured myself on the Lusti PC 71. In the 165cm length the radius is a mere 12 meters and the 71 underfoot gets you from turn to turn quickly. The strong wood core with twin sheets of Titanal make sure you stay in those turns until it's time to release. In the bumps the short ski was easy to flick around, either in the tops or in the troughs. Straight runs were stable and the skis felt very smooth and quiet as conditions went from soft to firm to almost gooey.

While the PC 71 is quick edge to edge that quickness doesn't just happen. Be ready to work for it if you want turns anywhere near the advertised radius. Longer turns don't require much input, however. Just a little tip onto edge and the skis come around.
  • Insider tip: If you like this ski and want a bit more width try the PC 77 also with 2 sheets of titanal.
  • One thing I'd change: I'd like to try the PC 71 in a 170.

Who is it for?
Tecnical skiers who might not want a race ski. The faint of heart.
Who is it not for?
Dirty Tail Pushers, there are plenty of other options for you.
Skier ability
  1. Advanced
  2. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
Dimensions
125/71/114@170cm
Radius
12.5m@170cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious about the radius on these for a 180 or 185 - anyone have thoughts on how this shape skis in that length?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Curious about the radius on these for a 180 or 185 - anyone have thoughts on how this shape skis in that length?
While I haven't been on these lengths, I would imagine the 180 and 185 woudl be in the 16-17 meter range and vary a bit to the edge angle you put the ski on.

Angus Grizzly

Booting up
Skier
I have spent a bit of time on the PC71 in a 175 length (and had a quick few runs on the 160 as well). The 175 has 2mm more width in the tip and tail and the same waist of 71 giving a 13m radius (while the 160 has the same dims as the 165 giving an 11m radius). I am 5’10” & 160llbs. The 175 is a very interesting ski. I laid a 165 slalom ski base to base with it and with the bindings lined up. It is basically exactly the same shape as the slalom ski (just a couple of mm wider) all the way through and the somewhat forward binding mount on the PC71 lined up with the slalom ski when the tips were in line. So, really the PC71 is a slightly wide slalom ski BUT with 10cm of additional tail that continues to flare out to its 115mm tail width. For me, that’s exactly how it skis - the turn initiation feels like a slalom ski just less nimble (due to the extra width) but the finish of the turn is completely different. That long wide tail just wants to keep carving and finish the turn. It doesn’t have any tendency to jet out from underneath you if your weight is a little back (as a sl ski might), just a strong, supportive finish to the turn. It makes the PC71 a very good short to med turn piste ski imo. Allowing high edge angle short turns or more mellow med turns without the nervousness of a pure slalom ski. The downside of that big tail is that it doesn’t like to be skidded out and I suspect (but haven‘t tried it) it might make its presence felt in the bumps. I really enjoyed the PC71 in this length and would be interested to try one of the longer lengths too. In the 160 it is a very different animal for me. I enjoyed it as a tool for tight carving at relatively low speeds (which could be great for teaching or just having fun) but at my size and weight it would be quite a niche quiver ski. Has Trish or any of the smaller/lighter skiers tried the 165? Thoughts? Anyway, I think the PC71 in longer lengths is an attractive proposition and would recommend a demo if at all possible but steer clear if you like to slide the tails out.

Sponsor