• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 MasterFit Boot Reviews

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Question. Quite often - most recently last week or so - comments are made on this forum that ski boot reviews are not very useful, since the fit is by far the most important feature. And the fit is so personal that it kind of renders all else quite useless. So what's the value of these ski boot reviews?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Question. Quite often - most recently last week or so - comments are made on this forum that ski boot reviews are not very useful, since the fit is by far the most important feature. And the fit is so personal that it kind of renders all else quite useless. So what's the value of these ski boot reviews?
Not too indifferent than ski reviews, it is a starting point. Where, IMHO, the MasterFit/ABB reviews are done by some of the best fitters in the country and not just good skiers. Plus they are not advertiser, the boot company, supported.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
So on the Reviews of Frontside boots state: "For a Frontside performer there are few other boots that match the levels of fit, quickness and power found in the (Lange) RS130LV (hint: the one other model worth mentioning was also tested in the Frontside category this year--Head Raptor WCR140S).

Interesting comments given that the Nordica Doberman GP130 is kind of a gold standard in this category of boot.....

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So on the Reviews of Frontside boots state: "For a Frontside performer there are few other boots that match the levels of fit, quickness and power found in the (Lange) RS130LV (hint: the one other model worth mentioning was also tested in the Frontside category this year--Head Raptor WCR140S).

Interesting comments given that the Nordica Doberman GP130 is kind of a gold standard in this category of boot.....

Frankly, looking at the instructors' and racers' boots where I ski it is the other way around. Everybody in blue or white boots.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
At various times, lots of folks on the World Cup have raced on re-colored Nordica Dobermann plugs....

The GP is the recreational version of the Dobermann WC and offers high performance--lots of folks here are on them or the similar Technica.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
At various times, lots of folks on the World Cup have raced on re-colored Nordica Dobermann plugs....

The GP is the recreational version of the Dobermann WC and offers high performance--lots of folks here are on them or the similar Technica.
Well, one explanation is that they don't seem to have any Nordica Dobermanns in their tests.

But also, while I don't personally have any experience with Nordica boots, I think it would be fair to say that both Nordica and Lange are considered the "gold standard" race boots (@Muleski has written about this quite a lot). A lot of great racers used Nordica, but in early 2000s, Lange pretty much dominated the sport. Maier, Eberharter, Walchhofer, Raich, Rahlves, Schild all were in Lange boots (and on Atomic skis), before Atomic made the push to increase their boot presence and transition their athletes into the red and white boots. Add to the mix racers like Compagnoni, Ghedina, von Grunigen, Street, Tomba (a bit earlier in the day), and you have a really incredible roster.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love their reviews but they include nothing about racing level boots other than a glancing visit from the Lange RS130 LV (great boot, BTW).

Is there are reason that Masterfit doesn't talk about these things? I'm guessing it's because the folks who skew toward full racing performance are already versed in what they need in a boot. That's fair - just would be nice to have them talk about such boots in their evaluations.

#ConstructiveFeedback

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love their reviews but they include nothing about racing level boots other than a glancing visit from the Lange RS130 LV (great boot, BTW).

Is there are reason that Masterfit doesn't talk about these things? I'm guessing it's because the folks who skew toward full racing performance are already versed in what they need in a boot. That's fair - just would be nice to have them talk about such boots in their evaluations.

#ConstructiveFeedback
Since race boots are "plugs" in that the thickness and interior design is really not meant to be skied "out of the box"and to be ground and punched if you have seen some of these guys feet, oooooof. Plus the lugs not being of DIN spec, they would have to be modified.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair points, for sure.

Still, there is a paucity of citizen racing boots in the mix for their reviews. These boots aren't plugs and are DIN spec out of the box. Granted, they're more rare but still... it would be good to have them assess this equipment.

But like I said: agreed 100% on plugs. Some of us have feet that were shaped by them, most don't. And the whole lug thing is... well, problematic. It makes me grateful for SkiTalk for hosting top-level conversation about such things. :beercheer:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like the write-up on the Head Raptor 140s. I am attracted to the forward flex' - it's longer and more progressive in its feel than the full-stop brick wall Raptor of yore. I am sure the 140 would still be rather abrupt. Also a 96 last.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have found the 120 to be abrupt, but compared to what I don't know.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Read the review for the Atomic Hawx Prime 130- had glowing reviews across the board, but one reviewer wrote this and it caught my eye.
“Feels very low in the heel when skiing, balance is back seat prone. ” -- Jack Rafferty

I was having this issue with my boots- so I did reach out to him to get some feedback. We'll see if he responds.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Still, there is a paucity of citizen racing boots in the mix for their reviews. These boots aren't plugs and are DIN spec out of the box. Granted, they're more rare but still... it would be good to have them assess this equipment.

In their '23-'24 reviews they test the Dobermann 5 - not the RD plug but the 96mm version which is quite similar. And even the RD plug is DIN out of the box...

They also test both the 4-buckle and BOA versions of the Fischer RC4 Pro in a 140 flex which is a solid citizens' racing boot (tho not as thoroughbred as the Dobermann 5). And they have Kästle's K130P in the mix, another good option.

Nice to see the spectrum evolve just a bit...

gabrik

Putting on skis
Skier
Przeczytaj recenzję Atomic Hawx Prime 130 – wszędzie były świetne recenzje, ale jeden z recenzentów napisał to i przykuło to moją uwagę.
„Podczas jazdy na nartach pięta jest bardzo niska, równowaga jest przechylona na tylne siedzenie. ”-Jack Rafferty

Miałem ten problem z butami, więc skontaktowałem się z nim, aby uzyskać opinię. Zobaczymy, czy zareaguje.
Do you give me link to this opinion? (For me sounds puzzling)

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Philpug , @Tricia - I saw this for the Fischer RC4 95 HV VAC GW* boot. Any idea how they figured it out? It's not called out on the other Fischer boot (BOA) nor for any other brand.

RECOMMENDED FOR SENIORS. YES

--------------

Note to self: These below seem to be the best choices for my criteria (2023-2024, all-mountain, womens, medium or wide). Price! Flex!

Fischer RC4 95 HV VAC GW - score 4.70 - $550

DALBELLO Cabrio LV 95 W - score 4.50 - $600, currently have the older version of this brand, style, & flex.

DALBELLO Veloce 105 W GW - score 4.56 - $700

TECNICA Mach1 MV 115 W - score 4.80 - $750

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@VickiK the boots you listed are kind of all over the map on volume. I can't recall what your foot looks like but would be happy to work with you on a fitting if/when we meet up again.

Sponsor

Staff online