• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Have you thought about swapping them for your trip?
I have thought about it. I kind of figured it would be a tough thing to do...but now that I think about it more, I'm really not sure WHAT it entails to make that swap. I'm going to do some digging tonight, see if I can do it. I'd say I'm like beginner level when it comes to bike maintenance. haha.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
l don’t think I have room for another bike though :huh:

Pfft. One phone call and a couple hundred bucks to 1Up USA and you can extend that rear rack to hold two bikes....

I've been using the Reverb dropper for about 4 years. Since year 2 (ish), I've had the dreaded "squishiness" that the Reverb seems to be known for. When I sit on the it squishes down about a 1/2 inch, without me touching the trigger.

This saved our bacon on a long road trip years ago:

1. Turn bike upside down on floor.
2. Wait a minute.
3. Push dropper lever while a second person collapses dropper by pushing down on bike from above.
4. Flip bike over and hope.....or repeat once more.

This gives bubbles a fighting chance to escape in the natural upwards direction, I think.

Post still works flawlessly. Never got around to a "real" bleed, as they are a beotch on older Reverbs.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
1. Turn bike upside down on floor.
2. Wait a minute.
3. Push dropper lever while a second person collapses dropper by pushing down on bike from above.
4. Flip bike over and hope.....or repeat once more.
I’ve given this one a shot…don’t know if I ever really waited (step 2) though. It helped for a bit, but only for a ride or two.

I’ll give it another shot with step 2 and some extra hoping.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve given this one a shot…don’t know if I ever really waited (step 2) though. It helped for a bit, but only for a ride or two.

I’ll give it another shot with step 2 and some extra hoping.

Best of luck. I gotta tell you, after having been very closely associated with an mtb-centric LBS for decades, we used to joke about the Reverb Rebuild Kit:

1. Throw Reverb away.

2. Buy just about anything else.

However, the modern Reverb AXS seems to last forever, at a price, and with some extra weight.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
However, the modern Reverb AXS seems to last forever, at a price, and with some extra weight.
I’ve heard the AXS is real nice….that price tag is more than my pocketbook can handle when there’s so many other good droppers out there.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Pfft. One phone call and a couple hundred bucks to 1Up USA and you can extend that rear rack to hold two bikes....
You haven't seen how much other crap I have in that little car! I would either bottom out or be doing a wheelie with anything else back there.

Best of luck. I gotta tell you, after having been very closely associated with an mtb-centric LBS for decades, we used to joke about the Reverb Rebuild Kit:

1. Throw Reverb away.

2. Buy just about anything else.

This has been my experience as well. ;)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Have you thought about swapping them for your trip?
I went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night...everybody seems to want to "replace" their Reverb, not just swap for a new one...weird. :roflmao:I decided not to try it. I feel like the chances of me messing something up are pretty good (based on my current record), and I really don't want to have two seatposts out of commission.

It's been 7 years since I've been in Moab, and last time I rented a bike. This time, I'll also be hitting Fruita for a few days too.

For those that have ridden there...two questions:
1. Would you choose an enduro-style 150/160mm rig with 27.5 wheels (much better downhiller) or lean towards a 29" 120/130mm bike which is more trail-oriented (much better uphiller) for this area. We plan on riding Whole Enchilada one day, maybe the Klonzo trails, and 18 Road and Kokopelli in Fruita.

It kind of feels like a...should I bring a 88mm wide ski (general all-rounder, but could get bogged down in some crud) or a 100mm (great all-rounder, but could be fatiguing with too much hardpack :) )?

2. Any recommendations for favorite trails, restaurants, other sightseeing/landscapes/etc. to check out?

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Would you choose an enduro-style 150/160mm rig with 27.5 wheels (much better downhiller) or lean towards a 29" 120/130mm bike which is more trail-oriented (much better uphiller) for this area. We plan on riding Whole Enchilada one day, maybe the Klonzo trails, and 18 Road and Kokopelli in Fruita.

It kind of feels like a...should I bring a 88mm wide ski (general all-rounder, but could get bogged down in some crud) or a 100mm (great all-rounder, but could be fatiguing with too much hardpack :) )?

2. Any recommendations for favorite trails, restaurants, other sightseeing/landscapes/etc. to check out?

Personally, I'd take the longer travel bike and install a larger volume reducer in the rear shock to perk up the climbing a bit. My Moab-type bike is a 2018 Slash set up that way, and it is great for Moab and the Koko trails. Road 18 and Klonzo love a more xc bike. The 120/130 bike would work fine, too, if that's your preference, provided you can get some big squishy tires on there.

If you've got the fitness chops, a fun big ride is from the top of Mag 7 down to the bottom, then up to Gold Bar Rim, then retrace your steps except going up the green trail on the opposite side of the road from Bull Run (now one way).

If you've got the technical chops, you cannot beat doing the above ride, but just continuing beyond Gold Bar Rim to the Blue Dot Trail and Portal Trail, though this will be a shuttle. I now feel like I've aged out of this one. :(

A day on the North Klondike Trails is not to be missed, especially EKG -- on which the 120/130 bike would beat you senseless.

Deadmans in the Bar M Trail System is astounding, but kind of surrounded by much easier stuff. Fun in both directions, but seldom ridden upwards. Another trail that does not favor the 120/130 bike.

Up Hymasa then out to Pothole Arch and back to finish on Captain Ahab is a great, sort of long day, and Pipeline is a close to town quickie with lots of tech challenge.

Arches Thai, Singha Thai, and Thai Bella are three of my favorite Moab restaurants. The espresso milkshakes at Gloria's are the best way to end a big ride day in the world. And priced accordingly.

In Fruita the challenging stuff is on the Kokopelli Trails. "Over and back" on Moore Fun will challenge/frustrate anybody, and the drop-in to Horsethief Bench is a big challenge. The Road 18 trails are fun, but the system rides kind of small.

Ping me with any specific questions. I've been there a few times (and will likely be back in mid-October).

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Wow! Thanks @Tom K. Great intel! We did Mag 7 as a shuttle last time we were out there...but took the bailout on Gemini Bridges Rd due to not really knowing what we were getting into (NEVER AGAIN!...the pedal out was terrible haha). I'm a downhiller at heart, so the idea of ending a ride on a LONG climb, is not my style. My fitness is decent, but not spectacular. I'd love to do Gold Rim someday...but the exposure scares me quite a bit, I'm not sure I'm quite at that level. My husband loves flow, and I love tech...I don't mind getting off my bike to climb up and over features I can't ride, as long as there's a rewarding downhill for the extra effort. He would rather ride trails where he stays on the bike for the majority of the ride. So, we'll probably gauge our rides towards difficult blue trails, or easier blacks...More Type I fun, than Type II.

EKG looks fun...thanks for the tip. I'll be looking out for that one if we make it over to Klondike Bluffs.

Deadmans looks rad....looks to be right up my alley from a quick look at some photos and video from TrailForks. Appears to have a great mix of flow and tech.

For Fruita, Moore Fun might be above my pay grade. But Horsetheif is on the list. I have ridden it, but my husband hasn't...that's the type of trail we're really looking for, a good mix of everything. I ate it on the drop-in last time...so kind of want redemption, but also pretty scared of it (I busted up my knee REAL bad last time). The 120/130 bike will be a deal breaker for getting redemption...I won't be willing to give that a go on a XC/Trail bike. Any other trails in the Kokopelli trail system you would consider a lot of fun?

RachelV

I own TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester

Hi popping into the MTB thread for Moab breakfast burrito suggestions.

This gas station has like $4 breakfast burritos and they are delicious, good option if you need food very early:

This place has overpriced breakfast burritos (along with many other things) and they are also delicious:

All the t-shirts in this store are like $12. You can pick from a ton of t-shirt / tank top styles and colors and then choose a graphic from the wall to get pressed onto it. The most fun I have ever had buying a souvenir t-shirt:

4ster

Instructor
I went down the YouTube rabbit hole last night...everybody seems to want to "replace" their Reverb, not just swap for a new one...weird. :roflmao:I decided not to try it. I feel like the chances of me messing something up are pretty good (based on my current record), and I really don't want to have two seatposts out of commission.

It's been 7 years since I've been in Moab, and last time I rented a bike. This time, I'll also be hitting Fruita for a few days too.

I also think you would be better served with the Bronson. There is quite a bit of chunk & some drops on the Porcupine Rim section of Whole Enchilada & some technical stuff at the bottom which may require a dismount or two.
If you’ve never ridden Slickrock trail proper, I think it’s a must do at least once. After all it is what put Moab on the map.
Klonzo trails & BarM trails are easier & still a bunch of fun.
My last trip to Moab was in 2019 on my Enduro style RipMo. My first trip to Moab was in the early 90’s on a bike with no suspension :ogbiggrin: . It was just as fun!
IMG_0532.jpeg

Standouts on my last trip were Navajo Rocks & Mag7. I called it Mag5 cuz I did some laps on the upper part (I think similar to what @Tom K. describes), skipped the technical Portal section & opted to link up with Sidewinder at BarM & all the way back to town. That was a great day over 40 miles with lots of variety & nothing crazy.
Here is a link from then with maps & descriptions…
Post in thread 'Mountain biking 2019'
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/mountain-biking-2019.13381/post-388776

I’ve only been to Fruita once in its infancy. The only name I remember is John’s or was it Joe’s?:huh:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
skipped the technical Portal section & opted to link up with Sidewinder at BarM & all the way back to town
I think this is what I did last time...just without the up/down loops on the top section. Is there a better way (other than the Gemini Bridges Rd) to get back to BarM?

My first trip to Moab was in the early 90’s on a bike with no suspension :ogbiggrin:
AMAZING photo! Whenever I fret about my bike...l think back to what people road on before. Watching any old videos from the 90s/early 2000s really gives a new (old?) perspective.

The only name I remember is John’s or was it Joe’s?:huh:
There's a Joe's/Mojoes....it's the only trail I've ridden at the 18 Road trails...nothing too challenging; lots of fun.

4ster

Instructor
I think this is what I did last time...just without the up/down loops on the top section. Is there a better way (other than the Gemini Bridges Rd) to get back to BarM?
I don’t think so but riding through that walled valley before the final downhill to the highway is pretty cool.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I don’t think so but riding through that walled valley before the final downhill to the highway is pretty cool.
There definitely were some sweet views and some good parts of the trail/rd...but there were some REALLY loose-sand areas that was like riding on a beach. I recall fishtailing my rear tire everywhere and having a lot of trouble in those sections (sucking up A LOT of energy to go a short distance).

AmyPJ

No longer on the single track.
SkiTalk Tester
I'd go longer travel. Moab isn't a "climby" riding spot. It's up/down/up/down, flat, down with loads of tech available. Unless, as Tom put it, you have some good squishy tires on your shorter travel bike.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Unless, as Tom put it, you have some good squishy tires on your shorter travel bike.
My tires are pretty squishy (helps that I ride them at an ungodly low pressure)...and as far as small travel bikes go, my Tallboy does hold its own. I got into some sh*t a couple weekends ago that I never would have dreamed of riding on that bike...but it did surprisingly well. But...there are limitations, and I feel it will hold me back in certain situations. Wasn't sure if those limitations would be worth the extra climbability. Sounds like there's a resounding answer that more bike will ride better overall, on most of the trails in the area.

AmyPJ

No longer on the single track.
SkiTalk Tester
My tires are pretty squishy (helps that I ride them at an ungodly low pressure)...and as far as small travel bikes go, my Tallboy does hold its own. I got into some sh*t a couple weekends ago that I never would have dreamed of riding on that bike...but it did surprisingly well. But...there are limitations, and I feel it will hold me back in certain situations. Wasn't sure if those limitations would be worth the extra climbability. Sounds like there's a resounding answer that more bike will ride better overall, on most of the trails in the area.
Yes, I'd go bigger. I'd loan you my Top Fuel but Moab is a bit of a haul from Ogden. ogwink

Tom will be happy to hear that I put my EX-e into the high configuration and yup, it's added to the maneuverability and I'm getting fewer pedal strikes. It kind of felt a bit like steering a sled until I flipped the chip last weekend. My Top Fuel still hasn't sold which is a bit of a punch to the wallet :geek: So, I threw pedals on it and will start riding it again once I get some bars with more rise. The EX-e is just so comfy to ride compared to the Top Fuel. I think different bars will make the Top Fuel feel more comfortable.

I also bought a new saddle--it's an Ergon Sport SM. I have been riding with a very nice Bontrager in the correct width, but something about it was causing me sciatic pain and glute pain in my left leg and pretty gnarly sits bone pain, too. What I wasn't expecting was the way the Ergon tips my pelvis into a really great climbing position. Seems saddles could be comparable to give that nth degree of performance, much like a good footbed in a ski boot.

This is the first fall where I'm not chomping at the bit for winter. I'm having way too much fun on my bike, and the IKON pass has kind of ruined Snowbasin for me so I'm really not that excited for ski season. I can see doing a few rides in Southern Utah this winter in lieu of dealing with the hoards on the hill.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’ve never ridden Slickrock trail proper, I think it’s a must do at least once. After all it is what put Moab on the map.

Agreed, but it is a pedaling mofo, and @Lauren seems to be more dh focussed. Regardless, I can still spend hours and hours out there on optional lines, doing what I call bike surfing.

Nothing quite like it anywhere.

Klonzo trails & BarM trails are easier & still a bunch of fun.

Yup, those may suit both Mr. and Mrs. @Lauren reallyn well. Pedaling and tech, and many optional, creative lines on the Bar M sllickrock loops (Rocking Z and Rippin Q or some such names).

Standouts on my last trip were Navajo Rocks

Yes. I totally forgot N.Rocks. A fun, pedaly, semi-techy loop. Pro Tip: Start at the parking lot in the middle of the loop. Go CC on the upper half of the loop. Complete 2/3 of that and reverse course. So much more fun than bothering with the double-track-ish portion, no matter which way you go.

If you were to rate these...1,2,3...where does each one stand?

Thai Bella marginally best food, but IMO lousy, really crowded atmosphere. Good luck having a conversation.

Arches patio or whatever is my favorite combination of food, atmosphere, and occasional haughty waitstaff. But it's only a bit above Singha. Best to say I frequent both, and have written off Thai Bella. Arches stuff is generally one level of hotness above what you think you're ordering.

Tom will be happy to hear that I put my EX-e into the high configuration and yup, it's added to the maneuverability and I'm getting fewer pedal strikes. It kind of felt a bit like steering a sled until I flipped the chip last weekend.

Golf clapping. Much golf clapping! I'v got 3 Trek FS mtbs hanging in my shop. They're all in high, even the Slash (which climbs way better on the Slickrock Trail in that mode).

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Agreed, but it is a pedaling mofo, and @Lauren seems to be more dh focussed. Regardless, I can still spend hours and hours out there on optional lines, doing what I call bike surfing.

Nothing quite like it anywhere.
I will pedal for a good reward…I just don’t consider uphills to be that much fun. But I’ll do it to get somewhere good haha.

One of this things that turned me off of the Slickrock trail is that it’s a shared moto trail…are my worries unfounded? Or do you see a lot of moto bikes along with the MTB’s?

Arches patio or whatever is my favorite combination of food, atmosphere, and occasional haughty waitstaff. But it's only a bit above Singha. Best to say I frequent both, and have written off Thai Bella. Arches stuff is generally one level of hotness above what you think you're ordering.
Thanks! Now that I’m pinning all these places in Google Maps for my own reference…I think Arches is the Thai restaurant we visited last time. I do recall it being delicious!