• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pretty horrible conditions today. Not even remotely scenic. But I got out anyway.

PXL_20231028_145253497.jpg
PXL_20231028_152152161.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A little tour of the lakes today on the fat bike. Even though there isn’t much snow, the forest roads are pretty icy. Still some fine scenery:

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

And, some FIRST TRACKS!!!

IMG_2391.JPG

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My last ride in Utah at North Fork park as the storm rolled in last week significantly dropping temperatures.
IMG_7837.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg

Fridays Covid shot kicked my ass on Saturday so decided to pack up & head back to Tahoe for the holidays.
Back in the granite on Tuesday.
IMG_7852.jpeg

Yesterday a friend & I went over to the west shore to ride the Stanford Rock trail. This trail was totally re-routed & complete in summer of 22’. I rode it once last year as a grueling loop.
Yesterday we did it as an out & back.
IMG_7857.jpeg

2300’ of climbing affords some expansive views. Palisades ski terrain in the background.
IMG_9419.jpeg

More snow & puddles than expected had us soaked & cold on the DH
IMG_7860.jpeg

Still super fun trail with lots of well built flow
IMG_7868.jpeg

IMG_3775.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
^^^ I've been wondering how NF has been riding. Shoulder season is KILLING me this year. I get so depressed. Been working a ton. Headed out now to do some pedaling. I got a shingles vax last Friday and while it didn't kick my ass, I was weirdly tired on Saturday and laid around all day. Something I never do. Warren Miller with the crew tonight might perk me up!

4ster

Instructor
^^^ I've been wondering how NF has been riding. Shoulder season is KILLING me this year. I get so depressed. Been working a ton. Headed out now to do some pedaling. I got a shingles vax last Friday and while it didn't kick my ass, I was weirdly tired on Saturday and laid around all day. Something I never do. Warren Miller with the crew tonight might perk me up!
NF was good last Wednesday, everything was open. Looks like they got Spork & Connector today but I bet there’s some greasy spots.
I did the Shingles vax a couple years ago, it didn’t get me too bad but this Covid shot was the worst. My normal sore muscles intensified x100. I think it was my body telling me to take a rest & recovery, I was fine by Sunday.
Say hi to the crew at WM!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
!!! FORE !!!

IMG_2404.JPG

Our golf course opens their path system to bikers and hikers during the shoulder season.

IMO the highest and best use of a golf course!

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
!!! FORE !!!

View attachment 214688

Our golf course opens their path system to bikers and hikers during the shoulder season.

IMO the highest and best use of a golf course!
Actually, you can get pretty high following the bevie cart around. ;-)

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
3 years ago today (Facebook reminds me) it was -31* and I was riding my bike. Today it's about 20* and I was also riding my bike. Nothing spectacular about today's ride, I was simply revisiting trails and routes that I haven't ridden since last winter to get reacquainted with them. Portions of it have just barely enough snow to make them rideable but most of the route was surprisingly good.

I don't remember this little offshoot from last winter, but sorta trends to the right and goes about halfway down the field. Crosses a couple rather exciting semi-hidden drainage ditches that'll get you good if you blink.
20231104_170426.jpg

4ster

Instructor
3 years ago today (Facebook reminds me) it was -31* and I was riding my bike. Today it's about 20* and I was also riding my bike. Nothing spectacular about today's ride, I was simply revisiting trails and routes that I haven't ridden since last winter to get reacquainted with them. Portions of it have just barely enough snow to make them rideable but most of the route was surprisingly good.

I don't remember this little offshoot from last winter, but sorta trends to the right and goes about halfway down the field. Crosses a couple rather exciting semi-hidden drainage ditches that'll get you good if you blink.
View attachment 214775
Rumor has it ski turns were being made at Moose Mountain?

Beautiful weather the past couple days but high winds & light precipitation this morning.
Friday
IMG_7895.jpeg

The groms were more into playing grizzly bear fisherman than biking yesterday
IMG_7916.jpeg

but at least they had their helmets on when they fell in!
IMG_7920.jpeg

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@4ster Why yes turns have been made, the owner and grooming crew had to test the goods last week. We are still about 8" short of being able to open to the public tho.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
The freeze-thaw cycle is limiting our ride options. So, today the Hooligans rode Antelope Island. It’s a neat change of scenery. The bison roundup was last weekend, so no bison encounters today, except with their dried poo .
Farmington Bay should be renamed Farmington Flats. Sad to see.
IMG_2080.jpeg
IMG_2076.jpeg
IMG_2074.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Freezing mist today and I had to go drop our new Forester Wilderness off for an oil change and mudflap installation. I had of course taken the poagies off to dry them out a few days ago and loaded the bike onto the back of the car the night before. Dry poagies don't help much when there is a layer of ice on everything and now I have to ride to work. Shift cable or derailleur was frozen too but busted loose with a few shifts. I've had worse but this was just bleh to have to deal with first thing in the morning. At least it was a short ride and I got to dry the bike out in the heated warehouse at work.

20231106_071407.jpg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let me regale you of more fat bike woes! I set up my new Nextie 95mm carbon wheelset tubeless last night with a set of 45nrth Husker Du tires. I've had them sitting with tubes in them for close to a month now and oh dear they were a pain to break the bead to pull the tubes out of. I spent an hour straining against them and eventually ended up have to kneel on the tires in order to force the bead off. The sealant side of things was uneventful, super easy to pop the bead back on and seal everything up. But then, I got them back into the bike.. and the front fits fine and the rear fits with about 5mm on each side to the chain stays. But wait! I start running through the gears to see if I need to adjust the shifting and the chain hits the tire in the 42t and 50t. Sadness. Some research and looking at my bike later, turns out in 2016 the bike was built with a 6mm offset chainring and now days a 197mm rear hub fatbike is supposed to have a -4mm offset ring. Damn. Wasn't an issue with the narrower stock Mulefut 80's and the 4.6 Dilinger 5's on it.

Put the alloy rear wheel and the smaller Dillinger 5's back on the rear for now while I track down a -4 chainring. At least the bike looked really awesome for a couple minutes and weighed under 28#'s as pictured.
20231106_213656.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
while I track down a -4 chainring

Wolftooth?

If they don't make them, they will point you in the right direction.

Great guys, IMO.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. Wolftooth does have the -4 offset with the Camo spider and ring system.. but it's out of stock. I aslo checked with absolute black, e13, and raceface. Doesn't appear that any of them make that offset anymore. I found a -4mm SRAM ring on worldwidecyclery's webiste and it's on it's way now, expensive little bugger even with the 15% sale they are running. I checked all 4 local shops today with no luck. I did borrow a 3mm offset ring from a friend just to see and it's not quite enough. He's the manager at one of the shops and was telling me that specifically that offset of chainring has been very difficult to get in the last couple years. Makes total sense since it's only used on fat bikes and fat bikes are definitely a niche bike type again.

@cantunamunch The airport has canceled a ton of flights because of it. But as for evidence on the ground, I don't think so. It snowed (snow) about an inch today and if there was any ash mixed in with it, I have no idea.

Sponsor

Staff online