• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
!!! FORE !!!

View attachment 214688

Our golf course opens their path system to bikers and hikers during the shoulder season.

IMO the highest and best use of a golf course!
And coincidently I've golfed more than biked this year. Just got addicted to golf

I'll take the burger, medium, with a slice of extra-sharp cheddar, please.

View attachment 214827
Now go pick that burger up on the turn so you don't miss your spot on the 10th hole.

3 years ago today (Facebook reminds me) it was -31* and I was riding my bike. Today it's about 20* and I was also riding my bike. Nothing spectacular about today's ride, I was simply revisiting trails and routes that I haven't ridden since last winter to get reacquainted with them. Portions of it have just barely enough snow to make them rideable but most of the route was surprisingly good.

I don't remember this little offshoot from last winter, but sorta trends to the right and goes about halfway down the field. Crosses a couple rather exciting semi-hidden drainage ditches that'll get you good if you blink.
View attachment 214775
MIL in Wasilla posted some really beautiful snow globe pics yesterday. Game on!

Freezing mist today and I had to go drop our new Forester Wilderness off for an oil change and mudflap installation. I had of course taken the poagies off to dry them out a few days ago and loaded the bike onto the back of the car the night before. Dry poagies don't help much when there is a layer of ice on everything and now I have to ride to work. Shift cable or derailleur was frozen too but busted loose with a few shifts. I've had worse but this was just bleh to have to deal with first thing in the morning. At least it was a short ride and I got to dry the bike out in the heated warehouse at work.

View attachment 214954
LOL and when we were planning our trip to Alaska, you said the people in Wasilla were crazy.
THAT is crazy!! You da man!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bonus 60 degree day yesterday. Haven't been out that much this year and suffered a lot on the uphill climb, and the downhill sections of wet rocks and roots covered with leaves were all pretty hairball, but it was a good, fun day. Started raining halfway through and then cleared.

IMG_7737.jpeg
IMG_7738.jpeg
IMG_7742.jpeg
IMG_7743.jpeg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
@firebanex I think you’ve inspired me to go out in conditions that I normally wouldn’t. Yesterday was cold & cloudy with some light snow showers, today was cold but sunny. When I say cold I’m talking 30’sF which is probably balmy for many but for someone like myself who has only rarely ridden in more than shorts, that’s cold. Riding in snow is also a new experience for me, it was only an inch & grippier than I expected but still extra care was taken.
I did get fresh tracks :)
IMG_7961.jpeg

IMG_7965.jpeg

IMG_7966.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't been out that much this year and suffered a lot on the uphill climb

Biking is a cruel mistress!

Riding in snow is also a new experience for me

The Ski Talk Hive stands ready to help you with your fat bike purchase.

Bring your wallet.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am still a skier first.

Same, but the fat bike is awesome for avoiding weekend/holiday crowds, and riding with younger "real job" friends late in the day.

One of those friends just scored a new Borealis with carbon wheels, studded tires and GX drivetrain for a flat $3,000.

Just sayin....

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Same, but the fat bike is awesome for avoiding weekend/holiday crowds, and riding with younger "real job" friends late in the day.

One of those friends just scored a new Borealis with carbon wheels, studded tires and GX drivetrain for a flat $3,000.

Just sayin....
It’s that ‘ride every day’ thing that you can knock out in a couple of hours. Takes the pressure off skiing.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why did this even become a thing?

I mean it's almost worse than the 8K-11K steps a day thing, because RED is ubiquitous in my acquaintance set.

I don't RED, but pretty close.

Since I quit serious racing and training, I find that I just enjoy being outdoors on the bike in the woods a lot.

So generally shorter and less intense rides, but a few more of them. Even so, I seldom or ever log 15+ hour weeks anymore, like I did when I was younger, and at the so-called "sharp end of the stick".

(typed after finishing a 45 minute casual cruise on the fatbike heading "wherever" mostly because it's sunny)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't RED, but pretty close.

Since I quit serious racing and training, I find that I just enjoy being outdoors on the bike in the woods a lot.

That's fine, awesome even. I can even envy that.

Now imagine loading up that fantastic experience with angst, guilt and FOMO over missed day(s). And then being vegan-preachy about it to other riders. I cry 'WHY?' - though I know it's mostly rhetorical.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And then being vegan-preachy about it to other riders.

Now that is an amazing way to emphasize a point! :roflmao:

I am Mr. Anti-Data these days: no strava (ever), no HRM, no power, no logging rides, or days of riding. or, or, or.....

At the end of a ride, I still like to know ride time and vertical, and that's where it ends. Liberating, I tell you!

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am still a skier first.
I'm equal parts skier and surfer, with less experience on a mt bike...
There were a few downhill sections with the the tips of rocks showing above the leaves and the back end slipping sideways on roots where I just picked a line, tried to stay as light as possible - and hoped my ski season was not about to end.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm equal parts skier and surfer, with less experience on a mt bike...

I know it's a long ways from ME, but if you ever get a chance, ride The Slickrock Trail.

It's like surfing on a bike, with endless optional lines.

Reactions: JCF

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've mentioned it in the past, but I ride a fat bike more than I ski simply because of my work schedule. I work 9-6 Monday-Friday, the ski areas are open Friday-Monday and that leaves me only able to ski on Saturday and Sunday. But my fatbike lets me be outside on snow much more! I have a winter dog mushing trail network that passes through a gravel pit next door to my workplace, incredibly easy access to ride every day after work if I wanted. I can ride my bike at 10pm or 6am, I can't ski at either of those times no matter what day of the week it is.

Snow really is magical to ride on. It's just so variable and different from dirt. Some moments you can have a ton of traction and grip and the next moment, you've lost a wheel and are heading for the ground. Makes even the dullest descents hair raising.

First ride in with my new carbon Nextie rim and Husker Du tire (waiting on the arrival of a chainring before I can use the rear) It's a huge different losing all that weight! front of the bike is noticeably lighter and the tire/wheel seems to have a lot less self steer than my previous Mulefut/Dilinger 5 combo. God a bit of snow and was riding in a cloud for most of today, bit chilly from the humidity despite it only being 20*.

20231109_162231.jpg

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
First ride in with my new carbon Nextie rim and Husker Du tire

What hubs did you use? Im wanting to lace some new fat bike wheels, but finding shimano microspline fat spacing hubs arent that many options…

Between a super crazy elk hunting season(not me, but my trails go right through hunting zones), snow and rain I havent been able to ride any singletrack lately. Today I saw what I thought was a small weather window before winter really gets here. I was wrong, it was a muck fest.. its forest service roads till enough snow for fatbiking.

IMG_7597.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@chris_the_wrench Not many choices out there and the "standard" build up here is the DTSwiss 350 w/ 36t ratchet. Reliable, strong, good engagement for winter riding. I had mine built with an XD hub driver, but it's easily swapped with other DTSwiss drivers. The fancy fancy riders get i9 fat hubs built up with HED rims but the rest of us do the Nextie/DTswiss 350 combo. Even Nextie only seems to offer the DTswiss 350 as the only build option if they build the wheelset for you.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
The fancy fancy riders get i9 fat hubs built up with HED rims but the rest of us do the Nextie/DTswiss 350 combo.

Ive had some not so great experiences with the hugis, i was looking at the industry 9, but they told me(last winter) they only make a few every year at a certain time(perhaps this is that time of year?).

maybe i’ll give the hugis a try again..Im not to agro on my fat bike: low speed and not a ton of miles.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What hubs did you use? Im wanting to lace some new fat bike wheels, but finding shimano microspline fat spacing hubs arent that many options…

The latest DT Swiss are pretty bomb-proof. They've come a fair ways since the Hugi days, and I haven't had a peep from mine in 3.2 seasons. ;)

If you want something even sturdier, the Bontrager Wampas are considered unkillable. Carbon, but full double-wall construction, unlike the "snow duty only" Nexties. They don't make them anymore, but you can still find them here and there, and often at killer prices.

@firebanex, I remember going from tubed mulefoots to tubeless nexties. What a revelation!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I nearly had a double wall nextie rim instead of the single wall. Since I was feeling lazy about having to swap for early season low tide riding. But decided if I was going carbon, I may as well go all out. The single wall nexties are rather stiff and feel quite strong anyways. I'm saving 2.9 pounds going from the tubeless studded D5's on Mulefut 80s to tubeless studless Husker Du on the nextie 95mm rims. Also a GX cassette to a gold XX1 cassette helped in that department too.

Sponsor

Staff online