• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Mountain Biking

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Dropped down about 6000’ in elevation for Thanksgiving & some new trails in an area we could still wear shorts :)
IMG_1998.jpeg

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. @cantunamunch its a oddly tough ride home. First 5 miles are practically flat, next 3 gain about 300ft and miles 8 and 9 gain the rest with a 200yard hike a bike up a powerline to skip 2 more miles of road.. Then its flat across the ridge to my house. I wouldn't want to do it on my fatbike, it would be like a 1:45 ride home. Summer time its 45 minutes to get home.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good to hear! I was feeling abit of buyers remorse ordering new hubs and about to order some carbon rims(do I really need carbon wheels on my fat bike vs I could have ordered another pair(or two) of skis
The remorse will go away once you ride them. The lower weight is very noticeable. Might take a couple rides to get used to it though. The front of my bike feels very light and was very squirrelly at first but now it feels more precise, less boatlike in steering.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I think I had 2 of the 10 miles on quiet residential roads, 3 miles on bike paths turned winter snowmachine routes, and the rest was on the dog mushing trails that lead me to a gravel pit behind my workplace. Took an hour and 10 minutes to descend 800ft and ride 10 miles.

You're able to survive and thrive on non-studded tires on those various surfaces and decent/climb? The snow stays soft enough? You probably dont get much thaw/freeze. Last winter was my first winter on a fat bike, I was feeling like a stud without studs for a good month or so until one ride when I literally landed on my face like 6 times when the front wheel slipped out, I ended up walking the last mile home cause I was so banged and bruised(physically and ego). We get these solid ice patches that go on for 1/2 a mile sometimes. I ordered studs that day.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No freeze thaw. I'm in the Interior Alaska. I wont see a freze thaw cycle till mid March. The sun just doesn't get above the horizon for long enough and it's cold. That said, the roads get pretty slick and if I was commuting in the winter on the regular instead of only a handful of times, I would have kept my studded Dillinger 5s. But since the bulk of my riding is on trails and snow, i came to the conclusion that I don't really need them.

My wife pick me up most days I ride in. Not enough time in the day to ride home especially since we now have a 2.month old.

Last edited:
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last winter was my first winter on a fat bike, I was feeling like a stud without studs for a good month or so until one ride when I literally landed on my face like 6 times when the front wheel slipped out, I ended up walking the last mile home cause I was so banged and bruised(physically and ego). We get these solid ice patches that go on for 1/2 a mile sometimes. I ordered studs that day.

Yup!

Ice 2021.jpeg

Odd start to the usual fat bike season here this year. Not a hint of snow on the trails, so I've been riding either unstudded fat bike or regular old mtb in 15 to 25 degree temps.

Ready to switch it up with some snow riding, which at least should come our way this weekend.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Ready to switch it up with some snow riding, which at least should come our way this weekend
I was just looking at the weather models on Windy and I should see some of that storm thurs/fri but it looks like it will blow through here pretty quickly but hang out over you for a few days. :crossfingers: This cold weather but no snow isn't my favorite...

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another day, another ride on perfectly clear, rock hard, frozen trails.

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another day, another ride on perfectly clear, rock hard, frozen trails.

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!

Same today. Cue Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

download.jpg

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
(some) snow to ride in, finally. Nothing special, except a few first tracks. More today!

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You're making my Asnes hurt, looking at that and not skiing it.

That wide "community trail" now has enough snow for a bit of kicking and gliding, thanks to Ullr's generosity today.

Sponsor

Staff online