• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 National Gathering Sundance Day (March 1st) Roll-call ... we can do 30!!I

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry but I've had to make a last minute decision to cancel my attendance at the 2023 National Gathering Sundance Day. Have been battling a bad case of sciatica for almost four weeks that resulted from an injury caused by being rear-ended by a semi-truck years ago. It only resurfaces when I overdue physical activity to extreme degrees, which I've certainly done this season racking up enormous vertical on my board and skis. Thought I had close to fully healed a little over a week ago but these past two huge storm cycles saw me back to putting in many big days and the sciatica returned with a vengeance overnight. Decided this morning while waiting for @Jim Kenney to arrive at my home that the pain was too great to ski and am shutting down for a couple weeks or so.

Many thanks to @Philpug and @Tricia for providing an opportunity to hit the slopes at Sundance. I hope someone from Skitalk.com who decided to attend but didn't make the list of 30 will be able to use my ticket. Given the weather, I suspect all attendees will have a great time!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got stuck in traffic this morning. Just made it to Sundance and in the upper lot. Trying to get a shuttle down to the base. Hope I don't miss my ticket

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
What a day. Thank you @Philpug and @Tricia for organizing this great event. There were many conversations where people said this was one of their best days ever and some are planning to go to Sundance tomorrow.

Beautiful storm conditions with a much more laid back vibe and beautiful scenery. @Jim Kenney was marveling how even blue groomer runs at the end of the day were still so soft. Powder was still available to ski even at 4 pm.

Here is a photo of Jim coming down Bishops Bowl at the end of the day and you can see the snow conditions were still fabulous. PXL_20230301_214927430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What an amazing day. So glad I finally had to chance to ski Sundance and was able to hit it on a day with such great snow. So much fun terrain, great people and facilities. The food at the Bearclaw cabin was great and reasonable priced. Thanks so much to Sundance for hosting us. Can’t wait to get back there again.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
All I can say is WOW, what an unexpected gem Sundance was, epic powder day! Great varied terrain all day long! Thank you @Philpug and @Tricia for organizing. Conditions were epic. Bear Claw and Owl Bar food was fantastic, can't wait to get back here! Sundance is perfection!
If you (or anyone) hasn't seen it yet, the pics/reports thread is here:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When my wife used to go to the film festival on a regular basis for work I would, when possible,spend my days at Sundance in that wonderful low key vibe that still exists. That’s Redford’s doing, he’s resisted the notion to slick it up -it’s really just about the skiing. Personally, as a city dweller the last thing I want is Rodeo drive with chairlifts- I’m trying to get away from that and get into the mountains.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad you all had a great day at Sundance! Just too big of a hassle for me to leave LCC to get there.

I have the fondest memories of meeting Bob at the Tree Room and staying at Sundance for both nordic and alpine skiing 20 years ago.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi skiing folks
I am newbie to this forum.
I have couple questions below.

1. Wondering if there is car pooling option especially if the weather is bad on the day and traction law is on ? There is nearby park and ride at Orem to park and car pool.

2. How do we meet on the day and is there any main contact number for us to reach out ?

3. If there is no traction law, I could bring up to 2 people with me, I stay in Lehi though.

Looking forward to the gathering.
Thank you :)
Some photos of @avatar from 1 March 2023 at Sundance. Welcome to the forum! yoseph 1 march.jpg yoseph close 1 march.jpg yoseph and 1 march.jpg yoseph pow 1 march.jpg yoseph pow again 1 march.jpg yo po mo 1 march.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online