• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 National Gathering UT Snowbasin Day (Feb 28) Roll Call and Discussion

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like @utskier (who is my husband and a L3 instructor for those who don't know, so he can ski wherever) will be able to take this day off from his real job to ski and show people around. This won't be a lesson so please don't expect that. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions and give basic pointers but nothing beyond that. My guess is we'll split up into two groups in the morning with me leading the more moderate group, then I'd like to meet up later so I can ski with my husband since we rarely get to ski together on weekdays. :ogbiggrin:

The group will have to decide if, conditions permitting, they want to ski Lone Tree, Middle Bowl Cirque, etc. They both involve a short hike from the top of Strawberry, with a moderately scary traverse (so I've been told--the drop off goes to Ogden) to get to the cirque. Lone Tree is almost entirely filled in this year, so no shark fin rocks in the middle. There are some other gnarlier chutes in there--Hidden and Arrowhead, that can also be skied. Bonus is these chutes and the cirque can be seen from Needles lodge so if anyone doesn't want to ski it but wants to watch the group drop in, we can. This is all high-advanced/expert terrain that typically holds great snow as it is N/NE facing. Crossing fingers for good visibility and soft snow! These areas will not be open if it has snowed recently or been super windy.

I think GoPro footage can be arranged; we just need to remember to charge the camera and bring it!

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"moderately scary..." :cool:

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"moderately scary..." :cool:
Yeah, I won't do it. I've been told "you could ski the cirque fine, but the traverse to get there will scare you." So, my legs would be quivering by the time I got to the cirque? Probably not the best idea! Even worse is it's a left leg traverse, so I'd be standing on my weaker and wonky left leg/ski the whole time, trying to not peer down the hill into Ogden. :geek:

Big storms next week, it looks like. We are due for a refresh.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Even worse is it's a left leg traverse, so I'd be standing on my weaker and wonky left leg/ski the whole time,
I can't tell which direction you mean by that. So out of curiosity, is uphill to your right or left on a "left leg traverse" and consequently do you stand on your uphill or downhill ski when traversing?

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't tell which direction you mean by that. So out of curiosity, is uphill to your right or left on a "left leg traverse" and consequently do you stand on your uphill or downhill ski when traversing?
Stand on downhill ski. Uphill would be to the right.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Stand on downhill ski. Uphill would be to the right.
You might want to try putting more weight on your uphill ski when traversing. That's advice I've been given for tough traverses, and it really seems to help me. I've started thinking of that as the primary thing when I traverse as I'm a little sketch about it too. But YMMV.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You might want to try putting more weight on your uphill ski when traversing. That's advice I've been given for tough traverses, and it really seems to help me. I've started thinking of that as the primary thing when I traverse as I'm a little sketch about it too. But YMMV.
Depends strongly on the traverse. In whoop-de-doos I am better served with equal weight. Sometimes I will shift weight a little to give my downhill leg a rest on a long traverse (often seen at AnotherLongTraverseAhead). Traverses that I see are often uneven, so being prepared to shift weight (slightly) from foot to foot has been a tactic that works for me. But generally, keeping more weight on the downhill ski has served me well. And staying relaxed is important. Which is hard to do if you are afraid of falling all the way to Ogden.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That guy I'm married to has told me to weight the downhill ski more and do NOT turn towards the hill, but to slightly rotate your shoulders down the hill. I can traverse OK, but on a no-fall zone it freaks me out.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like @utskier (who is my husband and a L3 instructor for those who don't know, so he can ski wherever) will be able to take this day off from his real job to ski and show people around. This won't be a lesson so please don't expect that. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions and give basic pointers but nothing beyond that.
This is an opportunity not to be missed. A group of us “rented” @utskier a few years ago for a powder day tour. Holy hell what a time we had. Unreal experience. Great skier, better fella.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That guy I'm married to has told me to weight the downhill ski more and do NOT turn towards the hill, but to slightly rotate your shoulders down the hill. I can traverse OK, but on a no-fall zone it freaks me out.
Good advice (but who am I to second guess the guy that you are married to...). Understanding speed control on a traverse can help your confidence and maybe save your life. For me, trying to snowplow is a no-no. I will feather a very slight turn into the hill - sometimes I even ski off the track a little (up the hill while still going forward) and then slide back onto the track.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It sounds like @utskier (who is my husband and a L3 instructor for those who don't know, so he can ski wherever) will be able to take this day off from his real job to ski and show people around. This won't be a lesson so please don't expect that. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer questions and give basic pointers but nothing beyond that. My guess is we'll split up into two groups in the morning with me leading the more moderate group, then I'd like to meet up later so I can ski with my husband since we rarely get to ski together on weekdays. :ogbiggrin:

The group will have to decide if, conditions permitting, they want to ski Lone Tree, Middle Bowl Cirque, etc. They both involve a short hike from the top of Strawberry, with a moderately scary traverse (so I've been told--the drop off goes to Ogden) to get to the cirque. Lone Tree is almost entirely filled in this year, so no shark fin rocks in the middle. There are some other gnarlier chutes in there--Hidden and Arrowhead, that can also be skied. Bonus is these chutes and the cirque can be seen from Needles lodge so if anyone doesn't want to ski it but wants to watch the group drop in, we can. This is all high-advanced/expert terrain that typically holds great snow as it is N/NE facing. Crossing fingers for good visibility and soft snow! These areas will not be open if it has snowed recently or been super windy.

I think GoPro footage can be arranged; we just need to remember to charge the camera and bring it!

You are trying to get me fired from work! Lol.

I've done Lone Tree, Middle Cirque, Sisters numerous times. Not the scarier stuff hiking from the Tram. But this sounds like real good company.

I may come down with a sore throat and nasty cough Monday night... Definite maybe on this one.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I should be around if @utskier’s group grows too large or if anyone wants a tour of the Olympic DH runs, provided it’s not a powder day ;)
I have had a great time skiing with some of the gatherees in the past.
03585D48-6BBF-4409-B0EE-01B62BD750C8.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I should be around if @utskier’s group grows too large or if anyone wants a tour of the Olympic DH runs, provided it’s not a powder day ;)
I have had a great time skiing with some of the gatherees in the past.
View attachment 192769
Excellent!!! @4ster and my husband are great friends and damn fun to ski with!

Here’s the Middle Bowl traverse from South Ogden. I took this tonight! You can see the skier cuts near the top of that pointy peak.
8B72B4A6-0C02-4631-9746-B2376E3746BC.jpeg

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Here’s the Middle Bowl traverse from South Ogden. I took this tonight! You can see the skier cuts near the top of that pointy peak.
View attachment 192774

I've never seen it from that perspective, very cool pic. And wow, lot's of snow! That aspect faces mostly west, so gets a lot of sun, which melts the snow. A reminder of how much snow Utah has gotten this year and how cold it has been to preserve the snow. In all honesty, that traverse is not bad. Especially compared to others. I never really felt scared on it, maybe because I was much younger and fearless, or the viz was so bad I was more worried about the woop de doos ahead of me. I actually find the cat track down from the top of the Tram to the start of the downhills to be a bit sketchier; I guess because the drop off to the left is so severe and there is only a rope. Dunno, I guess it is about perceptions which vary from peep to peep.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor

View attachment 192774
Better call Hill AFB to takeout that UFO in the upper right of your photo! :geek:

The traverse would only be an issue if it was icy. As of now it is covered well & not too bad although everyone’s tolerance to exposure is different.

Sponsor

Staff online