• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 National Gathering UT Snowbasin Day (Feb 28) Roll Call and Discussion

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
  1. @teejaywhy (intermediate groomer zoomer)
  2. @AmyPJ
  3. @utskier
  4. @David Chaus
  5. @SKI-3PO
  6. @Wendy (I've been a Groomer Greta this season ogsmile)
  7. @bbinder (likely, barring unforeseen circumstances)
  8. @Gary Stolt
  9. @jimmy
  10. @Wasatchman
  11. @dbostedo
  12. @JohnL
  13. @Dean
  14. @Phelmut
  15. @John Webb
  16. @Johnny V.
  17. Mrs. Johnny V. aka Judy
  18. @theNitza
OK, significant snow is in the forecast starting today with the heaviest amounts forecast for tonight, then a consistent 6+ inches during the day tomorrow and Tuesday. This could bode well for Tuesday because the powder hounds will ski tomorrow. In year's past, I could give a pretty accurate idea that parking won't be an issue and crowds won't, either. This year, all bets are off. My advice is leave SLC area by 6:45 especially if the snow falls heavily on the valley floors. Pay attention to UDOT traffic alerts and maps and also Google maps with real-time traffic data. Breakfast starts at 8 a.m. in Earl's which is where we'll meet.

Parking: 3 or more in a vehicle, proceed to the main parking area at the resort as you have access to lot A. If you prefer to boot up inside whether you have 3 people or not, then you also want to proceed to the main parking lot and park and walk into Earl's Lodge. Head downstairs. There are a few free cubbies down there and also a bag check that costs $8.

If you boot up at the car and like having easy access to your vehicle, then park in the first parking lot you come to, Lot K, the Wildcat lot. The sign was mostly buried last time I looked. It's a left turn as you start going downhill 1/4 mile before the resort. You have to climb up the snow bank which in race boots is a slippery adventure but having the car right there is handy. This is where I always park. Ski down the hill (there is only one way) to Earl's Lodge, which will be the building on the right.

We will meet in Earl's Lodge, preferably at a large table nearest the base of the gondola. My plan is to be there around 8 a.m. depending on the roads. I will be wearing peach colored pants and a red jacket.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@AmyPJ thank you so much for planning a great Snowbasin day!! I'm going to head up with Jmills to Alta today but I'm going to reach out and see if I can link up with you and your husband at Snowbasin sometime in March. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of the others at another gathering event. And let me know when you guys are coming to the Cottonwoods......

Enjoy.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Decided to hit Snowbasin a day early. Seems like a good call. Super chill getting up here.

Just been here 5 min. Still finishing my coffee.
KIMG1034.JPG

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ thank you so much for planning a great Snowbasin day!! I'm going to head up with Jmills to Alta today but I'm going to reach out and see if I can link up with you and your husband at Snowbasin sometime in March. Hopefully I'll be able to meet some of the others at another gathering event. And let me know when you guys are coming to the Cottonwoods......

Enjoy.
We’re meeting at Snowbasin tomorrow. I think the roads will be better tomorrow but who knows. Heavy stuff to shovel off the driveway this morning!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The tram did not open today. If it opens tomorrow it should be goooooood.

MaryG

Putting on skis
Skier
@AmyPJ - not 100% sure I will be there tomorrow- depends on roads. I’m coming from Park City. Will send a PM tonight. I’d like to be in the mellow group, please!

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ - not 100% sure I will be there tomorrow- depends on roads. I’m coming from Park City. Will send a PM tonight. I’d like to be in the mellow group, please!
I'd love to see you! Please do message me--this goes for everyone, if you can't make it or are running late. We can make up some other meeting times and places.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If anyone wants to ride from Sandy with @Dean and me so that we have 3, let me know.
I'd ride with you -- would save me from driving solo and contributing to all of the congestion! Or: I can drive if your vehicle is not very big.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to try to catch you guys next week on a less hectic day.

@Tony S are you attending any other gathering days besides Snowbasin tomorrow?
Hi. I'm here all week. Alta today was fabulous.

Staying in Sandy with some of the usual suspects. My itinerary is going to depend on household flow. That in turn is going to depend on weather and road situation. Probably Snowbird tomorrow if the road is open. Planning to join the Sundance crew on Wednesday.

Thought I might see you with @jmills115 at there meet up today, but if y'all were there I missed it.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Put Judy (she actually has a Skitalk handle now-@JudywV )and I in the mellow group for starters. I may want to up the pace if I gain confidence after today's post lunch performance. I felt like the the cliche' "You can't ski and the powder, bumps and flat light prove it".

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Put Judy (she actually has a Skitalk handle now-@JudywV )and I in the mellow group for starters. I may want to up the pace if I gain confidence after today's post lunch performance. I felt like the the cliche' "You can't ski and the powder, bumps and flat light prove it".
I know that feeling! I’m hoping the clouds might part tomorrow afternoon, at least a little bit.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Hi. I'm here all week. Alta today was fabulous.

Staying in Sandy with some of the usual suspects. My itinerary is going to depend on household flow. That in turn is going to depend on weather and road situation. Probably Snowbird tomorrow if the road is open. Planning to join the Sundance crew on Wednesday.

Thought I might see you with @jmills115 at there meet up today, but if y'all were there I missed it.
We were there. Sorry we missed you.

Sponsor