• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 National Gathering UT Sol-Bright Day (March 2) Roll Call and Discussion

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a thread and roll call for folks who may be interested in joining me for a tour of Solitude and Brighton on Thursday, March 2. The intent is to experience all major trail pods at both ski areas in one day.

1. Meet between 8:30 and 8:45 AM at the Milly Chalet at the base of the Milly express chairlift. It has food, restrooms and there is free parking nearby.
2. This tour is aimed at strong intermediates to experts with an emphasis on dark blue and some black terrain at a moderately fast pace. If some group members are willing and able to ski double black diamond terrain we should have an extra guide or two to branch off and ski renowned off-piste and tree runs at both resorts. Also, as with all SkiTalk events, you're free to do your own thing at any time during the day. Just let your guide know you're leaving the group.
3. You'll need to make an online reservation to ski Brighton with an IKON pass for the date of March 2, 2023. I suggest you do this well in advance, but if you're not ready to commit and it's a non-powder Thursday with little demand it's possible you might get a reservation the night before or even the morning of.
4. We'll start the day with a few laps off the Milly Express Chair. If you're late look for us in the lift line or on the slopes with orange streamers tied to our poles.
5. We'll ski Brighton's terrain in the AM and then take the Sol-Bright connector trail for lunch at Solitude's Last Chance Lodge at the base of the Apex express chairlift. We'll eat around noonish. This is one of the best venues at either ski area for tasty food at reasonable prices. Also, in the past I've had no problems discreetly bringing some of my own snacks in there.
6. We'll ski Solitude in the PM and return to Brighton's Milly Chalet area by approximately 4 PM. Additionally, Brighton has night skiing. Those who so desire can keep going on their own until 9 PM.
7. Let me know if you have any questions and send me a PM if you want my cell phone #.

Thanks, Jim Kenney

That's me on right, black jacket, white helmet and mustache.
20230202_094144-jpg.191206

Milly Chalet at Brighton:
20230210_152011-jpg.192131

Last Chance Lodge (left) at Solitude:
last-chance-grill-restaurant-solitude-jpg.191798

1. @Jim Kenney

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I talked with @Jim Kenney about this. If there are numbers and interest, I'll likely take a second group that will be less touring/mountain introduction and a bit more sporty, conditions permitting.

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am very interested in this but will not have a car. If anyone who is staying on mountain at either Alta or Snowbird and plans to go, can I hitch a ride?! I'll pay for your gas and food! :crossfingers:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Hi Jim
Thanks for organizing this.
I have a weird pass the Ikon Base plus pass so it looks like I can only ski Altabird 5 times. But I’ll be in Midvale at least 2 weeks as I’m booked at Extended Stay Suites on Ft Union. I’m highly interested on hitting other areas like this one, DV, Sundance, Snowbasin, Powder Mt (on Indy) @ etc. then Beav & into Idaho. Will take a rest day every 3rd day or so to avoid leg fatigue - like last years injury you Witnessed ! :eek:

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, I took the UTA 972 bus up and down to Solitude/Brighton today, Presidents Day. It worked very well and I got a seat both directions. Best to catch it at the 6200E lot or earlier if you plan to use it, but mouth of BCC could also work if not a powder day. I caught it at about 830am on Ft Union St, but would recommend 730 or 8am for better odds. It runs on an every 30 minutes schedule (not necessarily on the hour depending on stop) up and down canyon. But reminder, it's a crapshoot as to whether it will be on schedule if there is a big dump. Best then to have your own vehcile.
Also, post in this thread if you're coming up from the Valley to do this Sol-Bright Day and need a ride. There could be a couple of us with extra room in a car.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
4. We'll start the day with a few laps off the Milly Express Chair. If you're late look for us in the lift line or on the slopes with orange streamers tied to our poles.
The Milli side has been skiing fantastic every time we were there this year.

Also FWIW, the food at Milly is far superior to the food on the main side. And the A-frame ...awful ... but on the plus side, it is expensive.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Milli side has been skiing fantastic every time we were there this year.

Also FWIW, the food at Milly is far superior to the food on the main side. And the A-frame ...awful ... but on the plus side, it is expensive.
Glad to have you join us! BTW, lunch is planned for noon at the Last Chance Restaurant at Solitude at base of Apex chair near the village. Last Chance is also a place where someone could catch up to us if running very late.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glad to have you join us! BTW, lunch is planned for noon at the Last Chance Restaurant at Solitude at base of Apex chair near the village. Last Chance is also a place where someone could catch up to us if running very late.
IMG_0858.jpeg
Mac & cheese w/pulled port at Millys.

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 193353

@P-Ute swears by Last Chance, but I'm easy, we can take a vote among participants and go with the winner. Last time I was in Last Chance I only ate their french fries (it was a big helping).

Here's more on Last Chance: Sitting at the base of Apex Express Chairlift, Last Chance Lodge offers spacious seating areas that can comfortably accommodate your crew while the outdoor deck brings fun beach vibes.

The ground floor of this eatery specializes in delicious burritos, housemade chowder, and fresh poke bowls.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@P-Ute swears by Last Chance, but I'm easy, we can take a vote among participants and go with the winner. Last time I was in Last Chance I only ate their french fries (it was a big helping).

Here's more on Last Chance: Sitting at the base of Apex Express Chairlift, Last Chance Lodge offers spacious seating areas that can comfortably accommodate your crew while the outdoor deck brings fun beach vibes.

The ground floor of this eatery specializes in delicious burritos, housemade chowder, and fresh poke bowls

View attachment 193353

I came for the skiing, but stayed for the lunches...

I will vouch for the over stuffed Burritos at Last Chance. And @SKI-3PO and @Gary Stolt will vouch? that I skied that afternoon after nearly finishing an entire one.

Sponsor