• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It does open at 10:00.

Your reading comprehension may be better than mine. I was not thinking of Friday as a weekday, but you're probably right. I will call them and find out.

I called and talked with Levi in Marketing.

Yes, 10:00 is when lifts spin on Friday, so I have ONCE AGAIN edited the opening post to reflect this. So, now meeting up at 9:30 on Friday.

Levi also confirmed that an uphill pass is included in your lift service ticket. I am SO HOPING that the Kennebago lift - which serves much of the prime terrain - will be back in business by the time we get there. However, if it's not, and you are inclined to SKIN up to ski there, you are in business from a pass point of view.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, now we need skins. Plus AT boots and at least a Shift. Plus a screwdriver and a prayer to adjust that worthless Shift afd.

Is Saddleback the Sugarbush of Maine?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So, now we need skins. Plus AT boots and at least a Shift. Plus a screwdriver and a prayer to adjust that worthless Shift afd.

Is Saddleback the Sugarbush of Maine?
Just enumerating some options, my dear James. Don't shoot the messenger.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know some folks have had to back out of the Gathering and may have tickets/vouchers to sell for Saddleback and perhaps Sugarloaf. I am interested in those good for Friday at Saddleback and Saturday at Sugarloaf. Sunday is now not going to work for us. PM me any details.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a good list, but I really think you should take ropes, crampons, and ice axes just in case you find a cliff or chute to rappel down.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know some folks have had to back out of the Gathering and may have tickets/vouchers to sell for Saddleback and perhaps Sugarloaf. I am interested in those good for Friday at Saddleback and Saturday at Sugarloaf. Sunday is now not going to work for us. PM me any details.

Check out this post and see if those days work with Sandy.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a good list, but I really think you should take ropes, crampons, and ice axes just in case you find a cliff or chute to repel down.
I can find a cliff, but we gonna ski it. (It's a friendly cliff.)

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
That's a good list, but I really think you should take ropes, crampons, and ice axes just in case you find a cliff or chute to repel down.

repel verb [T] (FORCE AWAY) to force someone or something to stop moving towards you

rappel noun [ C ] US us / ræpˈel / uk / ræpˈel / (UK abseil) the act of going down a very steep slope by holding on to a rope that is fastened to the top of the slope

forcing someone to rappel could meet the definition of repel

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
repel verb [T] (FORCE AWAY) to force someone or something to stop moving towards you

rappel noun [ C ] US us / ræpˈel / uk / ræpˈel / (UK abseil) the act of going down a very steep slope by holding on to a rope that is fastened to the top of the slope

forcing someone to rappel could meet the definition of repel
Fixed above!

MarkP

Skier
From the roll call list, there are several people adding on Thursday and/or Monday, self included.

My tentative plan is to do Wildcat (have never been there) on Thursday and more tentatively Sunday River on Monday.

What are other people's plans?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From the roll call list, there are several people adding on Thursday and/or Monday, self included.

My tentative plan is to do Wildcat (have never been there) on Thursday and more tentatively Sunday River on Monday.

What are other people's plans?
My Monday is likely to be Saddleback or Sugarloaf. Playing it by ear as to which. Not likely to go to the River. That's just me.

MarkP

Skier
Any recommendations on where in the area to rent demo skis?

MarkP

Skier
Which area, and what are you looking to rent?

I'm looking for something more front-side oriented, mid/upper-80s. I presently have 12-ish year old Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous (78mm) that's still enjoyable and 6 year old (but bought used 4 yrs ago) Nordica Navigator 90 which has been okay but never wowed me.

I also have 10 yr old Nordica Hell 'n Back (98mm) which is still my favorite all-around. Edges well enough on hardpack, floats well enough in boot+ powder.

I'm staying in Gorham, NH Wednesday night, aiming for Wildcat on Thursday. Staying in Rangeley, ME the rest of the trip. Weather forecast looks good for groomers on Thursday and Friday, so a place in each area would be great.

Sponsor

Staff online