• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking for something more front-side oriented, mid/upper-80s. I presently have 12-ish year old Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous (78mm) that's still enjoyable and 6 year old (but bought used 4 yrs ago) Nordica Navigator 90 which has been okay but never wowed me.

I also have 10 yr old Nordica Hell 'n Back (98mm) which is still my favorite all-around. Edges well enough on hardpack, floats well enough in boot+ powder.

I'm staying in Gorham, NH Wednesday night, aiming for Wildcat on Thursday. Staying in Rangeley, ME the rest of the trip. Weather forecast looks good for groomers on Thursday and Friday, so a place in each area would be great.
Your lodgings are not in hotbeds of ski retail, to put it mildly.

I don't remember if Wildcat has a decent rental shop. Call them.

Last I knew there was nothing in Gorham.

Stan and Dan's in North Conway is a good bet but way out of your way after skiing Wildcat if you're headed north. Sport Thoma in Bethel is also very good but this time way out of your way BEFORE skiing Wildcat.

The shop at Saddleback has demos but I would definitely call ahead to make sure they can hook you up. Make sure you're clear that you want demos, not rentals. (The demos are in a locked room that doesn't invite fondling or inquiry.)

At Sugarloaf the shop on the mountain has demos, but the vibe is sterile and expensive. As a shop, I much prefer Happy Tunes, 5 miles south of the ski area.

Hope that helps.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am planning on skiing saddleback on Monday. I will probably ski the loaf Saturday and Sunday. Saddleback on Friday for sure. The Ski Divas will be at saddleback on Sunday - Tuesday from what I have heard. Please correct me if my info is in error

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can find a cliff, but we gonna ski it. (It's a friendly cliff.)
This one, it may may have snow, ice, rocks, but probably a combination of all three. According to the weather forecast, it will change from Friday to Sunday. Picture is from a year ago. IMG_20220316_201025.jpg IMG_20220316_201017.jpg

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking for something more front-side oriented, mid/upper-80s. I presently have 12-ish year old Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous (78mm) that's still enjoyable and 6 year old (but bought used 4 yrs ago) Nordica Navigator 90 which has been okay but never wowed me.

I also have 10 yr old Nordica Hell 'n Back (98mm) which is still my favorite all-around. Edges well enough on hardpack, floats well enough in boot+ powder.

I'm staying in Gorham, NH Wednesday night, aiming for Wildcat on Thursday. Staying in Rangeley, ME the rest of the trip. Weather forecast looks good for groomers on Thursday and Friday, so a place in each area would be great.
Sounds like you have plenty of skis and have all terrain covered. I think you have a problem :mask:

James

Out There
Instructor
Last I knew there was nothing in Gorham.
I would’ve expected Gorham Ski and Bike would be in… Gorham! I’ve seen them online.
@MarkP , maybe rent in Killington?

Was the Navigator 90 black with clear parts, before the era of Navigator 85 solid color with pattern. If so, that ski was dead from the factory as I remember.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would’ve expected Gorham Ski and Bike would be in… Gorham! I’ve seen them online.

Was the Navigator 90 black with clear parts, before the era of Navigator 85 solid color with pattern. If so, that ski was dead from the factory as I remember.
Gorham Ski and Bike hails originally from Gorham, Maine, not Gorham, New Hampshire.

James

Out There
Instructor
All these Gorhams! Hope he’s polishing silver. Next he’ll stay in Berlin, and he could be in any state in the Northeast.

If you feel like renting AT skis and boots, SkitheWhites is in Jackson. They’re tiny, so you’d have to call.
You know, because Tony is planning on cliffs and lift outages. You’ll be most prepared.
Otherwise, Lincoln might be on your way from VT.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Well they’ve dialed it down a little but Sunday is still looking pretty good for new snow (if you like that kind of thing)

See you all there!

C07AEA4A-9777-41A9-AC02-A95ACCCC59BB.png

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Packing powder skis. Skipping Sunday River. Skiing Killington then heading for Saddleback. My first ski vacation since Tahoe back in 2016.

James

Out There
Instructor
Ummm…
4-8 at the Saddle on Sat.
We still going to the Loaf?

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Green/clear, with a hit of black in the honeycomb-ish voids in the metal layer. Definitely on the ICU/CCU spectrum.
1679534110336.jpeg

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sugarloaf Open Snow forecast. They are usually very optimistic.
Screenshot_20230322-213308.png

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you believe these long-range forecasts, the big event will midweek. 20" according to OnThe Snow.

Are you referring to the potential for a nor‘easter that Skiology is posting about? I may have jinxed it as I booked a room in northern VT for 3/31-4/2 once I saw that. I was going for a day anyway but why not 2 if that forecast comes true?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since we're getting an early start, let's keep ahead of traffic with an 11:30 lunch meetup in the base lodge today. Same location as the morning meet.

Also, I will be at the base of the SKYLINE lift at 10:00 to collect any stragglers.

I have an orange helmet, blue plaid jacket, and orange pants.

Last edited by a moderator: