• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bit of stoke here from my home mountain: Saddleback is over 90% on trail count. They're claiming the most open terrain in New England. Not sure about that, but I was up there on Monday and it was skiing amazingly well considering the winter we're having. The key seems to be that the early storms laid down a layer of very dense and very sticky snow, so that the worst of the rocks and logs are not poking through much, even though the base is not yet deep. I'm thinking that after the two three storms forecast over the coming week the skiing will be back to what you'd expect in late January. In any case they seem to be way ahead of areas even a little bit further south. If things keep up like this it's going to be a very good March.

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddleback skied really good today. The glades were lots of fun. Kinda boney in places, but the base is building up. Should be great by the time of the gathering.
PXL_20230123_165954116.jpg PXL_20230123_165957814.jpg PXL_20230123_161752238.jpg PXL_20230123_191501164.jpg PXL_20230123_191505536.jpg PXL_20230123_155736616.jpg PXL_20230123_155716469.jpg PXL_20230123_161800230.jpg

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning a little pre-gathering Feb 11 & 12. Driving up Saturday morning and skiing Saddleback, staying in Rangeley then off to Sugarloaf on Sunday. Happy to meet up with others on either day.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Planning a little pre-gathering Feb 11 & 12. Driving up Saturday morning and skiing Saddleback, staying in Rangeley then off to Sugarloaf on Sunday. Happy to meet up with others on either day.
I would be in for that but will be at the Taos gathering. Enjoy. Post pics.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this on my radar, but want to see how things go in March snow wise.. would love to meet some Ski Talkers.
I'll try to keep the group posted. I expect to be up there at least once between the end of the national Gathering in Utah and the beginning of the NEG. Preferably twice. Folks further south and west in New England should not assume that conditions at Sugarloaf and Saddleback are the same as where you are. So far this season I think Maine is doing a little better than most of the rest of the region. Not that that's saying much.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll try to keep the group posted. I expect to be up there at least once between the end of the national Gathering in Utah and the beginning of the NEG. Preferably twice. Folks further south and west in New England should not assume that conditions at Sugarloaf and Saddleback are the same as where you are. So far this season I think Maine is doing a little better than most of the rest of the region. Not that that's saying much.
The first time I went to Saddleback when they reopened, it was AMAZING! I felt like I was skiing on Western snow in all of the trees and bumps off of the summit. Yet Sunday River had a total thaw refreeze going on at the same time. The difference was incredible, even with how close they are. Sugarloaf I have only ever hit right once on a powder day, all others have been complete ice fests. :)

So yes, would love any intel as we get closer.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Might try to catch you guys while you're at Saddleback. Probably won't stay for too much après, but I'd love to meet some of you folks.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have this on my radar, but want to see how things go in March snow wise.. would love to meet some Ski Talkers.
We have our VRBO reservation in Rangeley that can be cancelled in March, but I've held off on buying lift tickets at this point for the same reasons. Killington is holding up well simply because they are willing to blow snow at every opportunity as needed to justify their moniker.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The snow will either be better, the same, or worse, than it is now. The weather might be very nice, but could be horrible. It’ll probably do something, which could be worse than nothing.

We need to hire Lou Costello

I’m
I wonder how many times they had to rehearse that.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fiddlesticks. DH’s work schedule just came out for March. I have to stay home to care for our hounds of heck because he’s scheduled to work a 28 hour shift the Saturday/Sunday of the gathering. Blah.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Fiddlesticks. DH’s work schedule just came out for March. I have to stay home to care for our hounds of heck because he’s scheduled to work a 28 hour shift the Saturday/Sunday of the gathering. Blah.
Booooo. Some of us will still be around Monday if conditions are good.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait. Is this because of my Lixi's Twist faux pas?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Booooo. Some of us will still be around Monday if conditions are good.

What’s April like? I might be able to get out the following weekend if DH doesn’t have to work.
Actually, reviewing the roll call, quite a few may be hanging on, not only for Monday, but Divas will be there Tuesday too.

April can be stellar or a bust. You probably know that. But the special people won't be there. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online