• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
1EF4F07E-9735-433C-BF2C-72C733C4BC97.png
We’re less than a week out, so consideration of the weather forecast does not seem too premature (knowing that others will always disagree with New England weather). While the amounts aren’t Utah-depth, I’m hopeful that we’ll get a nice refresh on a solid base, along with some reasonable temperatures for the weekend.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The gathermeister is grateful for any and all shows of enthusiasm, @AlanR . @James will blame the gathermeister for anything and everything that goes pear shaped, so don't worry about taking heat for your curse-laying. In any case, the gathermeister will kneel down and kiss the parking lot mud, shedding tears of joy, if by Friday he feels well enough to ski, regardless of weather conditions.

(Now a solid two weeks into my journey of respiratory virus misery and think I'm juuuuusst seeing chinks of light at the end of the tunnel. Last weekend's "digging myself out of a hole" post, above, proved way premature. I look to @JohnL to explain all of it.)

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never been to either place. Is there a good place to get togged out and put our bags?

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
The gathermeister is grateful for any and all shows of enthusiasm, @AlanR . @James will blame the gathermeister for anything and everything that goes pear shaped, so don't worry about taking heat for your curse-laying. In any case, the gathermeister will kneel down and kiss the parking lot mud, shedding tears of joy, if by Friday he feels well enough to ski, regardless of weather conditions.

(Now a solid two weeks into my journey of respiratory virus misery and think I'm juuuuusst seeing chinks of light at the end of the tunnel. Last weekend's "digging myself out of a hole" post, above, proved way premature. I look to @JohnL to explain all of it.)
Sorry to hear it’s been a tough one, Tony. If this world is a fair one, pre-karma for taking on the gathermeister role will ensure your total recovery this week.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never been to either place. Is there a good place to get togged out and put our bags?
@graham418, yes. What Ave said. The very first post in this thread has more specific info about meet up times and places. Both of the locations are immediately adjacent to cubbies.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Translation: Tony be real sick.

I was real sick for 2.5 weeks, starting just before Utah Gathering. Just now doing easy skiing 3 weeks later. This bug is a pisser, whatever it is.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I changed the start times for the Saddleback days in the inaugural post, in light of the mountain ops change posted by @aveski . Now meeting up in the lodge at 9:00, targeting on-snow by 9:30.

Still 8:00 for the Sugarloaf meetup.

James

Out There
Instructor
Okay, I changed the start times for the Saddleback days in the inaugural post, in light of the mountain ops change posted by @aveski . Now meeting up in the lodge at 9:00, targeting on-snow by 9:30.

Still 8:00 for the Sugarloaf meetup.
It does open at 10:00.
Possible warmup activities-
-Snowball fight
-Pole darts
-Pole balancing
-Pole as a baton twirl. (Previous experience needed)
-Footsy
-intro to switch skiing*
-how slow can you go parallel?*
-crab turns*
* requires some pitch

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Possible warmup activities-
-Snowball fight
-Pole darts
-Footsy
-intro to switch skiing
-how slow can you go parallel?
I remember watching a group of instructors goofing at Sunday River before lessons with one skating backwards. Perhaps you can demo for us?

James

Out There
Instructor
Pole darts? Footsy?
Ah the new one.
Pole darts-
Draw a circle, throw a pole and stick it. There are many variations and rules you can make up. Depends on the age how much one cares about the rules.

Pole balancing-
Hold one pole near vertical. Place the tip of the other pole on basket near shaft. Try to balance it.

Footsy is one way a group or two prople can use to stay warm. It gets the legs moving.
I actually forget the whole sequence, but it’s impressive when done fast.

Perhaps you can demo for us?
Demos for participants.
Except baton twirling. Last person I saw do that had been a twirler in high school decades ago. She was good, but didn’t put the goggles down and poked herself in the eye.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Your reading comprehension may be better than mine. I was not thinking of Friday as a weekday, but you're probably right. I will call them and find out.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddleback is having some lift problems, which hopefully will be sorted out by next weekend.

Daily Mountain Update​

Check the Most Recent Trail Conditions​

What an awesome day we had yesterday. Back to the Banks brought the stoke and The Mallet Brothers Band kept it rolling. The Pub was packed and there were a ton of happy faces chilling on the deck after the last chair. Boy, do I love the late-season sun on the mountain.

Now the tough news, the Kennebago and South Branch Quads have electrical gremlins. Our experts are chasing down the issues, but the lifts will not spin today. Tight Line, Supervisor, Dark Wizard, Family Secret, Governor, Intimidator, and Nightmare will still be accessible via the NW Pass. The snow is great making the traverse worth it. Access the Kennebago Steeps via our uphill trail. Lollipop Races have been canceled today. More updates to come, so check back later.

Tomorrow is the official Spring Equinox, so old man winter had to make one more official appearance with an inch of snow and cooler temps. Those planning to uphill will have 12-14 °F at the summit with 31 mph winds. The base will be in the low 20s with mostly cloudy skies, flurries, and brisk winds. Much of the remainder of the week will return to seasonable temps in the upper 20s and low 30s. We’re looking at the possibility of precipitation Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Keep an eye on the mountain report for the best days to ski & ride.

Getting First Chair will also become easier. We are adjusting to Spring operating hours tomorrow. Through April 15th, lifts will spin at 10 AM- 4:50 PM Mon-Fri and 9:30 AM - 4:50 PM on Sat & Sun.

Our South Branch trails will be closed unless skiing to a condo. If you need condo shuttle service please call Guest Services at 207-864-5671 Ex. 101 and we will schedule a ride.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saddleback is having some lift problems, which hopefully will be sorted out by next weekend.

Daily Mountain Update​

Check the Most Recent Trail Conditions​

What an awesome day we had yesterday. Back to the Banks brought the stoke and The Mallet Brothers Band kept it rolling. The Pub was packed and there were a ton of happy faces chilling on the deck after the last chair. Boy, do I love the late-season sun on the mountain.

Now the tough news, the Kennebago and South Branch Quads have electrical gremlins. Our experts are chasing down the issues, but the lifts will not spin today. Tight Line, Supervisor, Dark Wizard, Family Secret, Governor, Intimidator, and Nightmare will still be accessible via the NW Pass. The snow is great making the traverse worth it. Access the Kennebago Steeps via our uphill trail. Lollipop Races have been canceled today. More updates to come, so check back later.

Tomorrow is the official Spring Equinox, so old man winter had to make one more official appearance with an inch of snow and cooler temps. Those planning to uphill will have 12-14 °F at the summit with 31 mph winds. The base will be in the low 20s with mostly cloudy skies, flurries, and brisk winds. Much of the remainder of the week will return to seasonable temps in the upper 20s and low 30s. We’re looking at the possibility of precipitation Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. Keep an eye on the mountain report for the best days to ski & ride.

Getting First Chair will also become easier. We are adjusting to Spring operating hours tomorrow. Through April 15th, lifts will spin at 10 AM- 4:50 PM Mon-Fri and 9:30 AM - 4:50 PM on Sat & Sun.

Our South Branch trails will be closed unless skiing to a condo. If you need condo shuttle service please call Guest Services at 207-864-5671 Ex. 101 and we will schedule a ride.
Groaaaaan

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sorry to hear it and I hope you're able to make it. You've been trying to get a ME gathering for a couple years and you really should get to enjoy it.

Sponsor