• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering PSA & Prologue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back on track with some random gathering thoughts. I am looking forward to attending, hopefully with a crew in tow.

Random thoughts:
1. March 25 strikes me as an ideal weekend to pick for the NEG, April skiing can be great or terrible, March seems safer bet for weather and snowpack. Its all a roll of mother natures dice, however
2. Sugarloaf has tons of lodging in condo's. The Alpine Zone used to get killer weekend deals for their gathering. Like $170 for 2 nights and lift tickets in a slopeside condo. I would sign up and pay in advance for that. Not sure what #'s it took for that deal.
3. If you stay slopeside at Sugarloaf, do you want to drive approximately an hour to Saddleback? Maybe shorter drive, not sure. I would do it for a day, but the Loaf has Bracket Basin which is snow cat and lift served back country terrain. I have skied it several times and it is fabulous. No snowmaking, so Mother nature needs to cooperate. Bring your skinning gear for sure and we can organize a backcountry group.
4. If not lodging at Sugarloaf, I would pick someplace inbetween to stay, and split maybe 4 days of skiing. You will not be bored in 3-4 days, I promise you.
5. Sugarloaf is on the IKON, Saddleback is on the Indie pass. Sunday River is on the Ikon.
6. Sunday River is arguably the biggest ski area in ME. Its about 1 3/4 hours drive from Saddleback. I do day trips infrequently from SR to Saddleback for some variety. Do we included SR in the gathering?? I will leave that to Tony to rule on. Its further south, so on the way there or home, so first or last day skiing there could be a consideration.
7. Lastly, there are two other ski area's close to Sunday River, Mt Abram and Black Mtn of ME. With good natural snow both have excellent tree skiing. I am not suggesting they be gathering Mtn's, but if someone is doing extended days, they are worth a day ski. I think I paid $55 for a Saturday day ticket at Mt. Abram last year and hit a powder day. Untracked snow all day long, it does not get skied out quickly.

I personally am planning on using Tony's info to get a multiday pass at Saddleback. I had the Indie last year, but just Ikon this year. There are always good deals to be had for Maine ski areas if you look. AKA Marker's find.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reminds me about Hunter Thompson's take on the music business.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Didn't we change hotels in between the last time we skied Saddleback/ Sugarloaf?

...and now I'm getting advertisements for yurts.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
someplace inbetween to stay
:roflmao:

You are funny. I'm sure the guy who has the Land Art Jesus in Madrid will let you pitch a tent there, you know, between His elbow and His armpit.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Didn't we change hotels in between the last time we skied Saddleback/ Sugarloaf?

...and now I'm getting advertisements for yurts.

Yes, or at least that's what Tony and I did... The original Maine gathering was a four day event -- two days at Saddleback (stayed in Rangely) and two days at Sugarloaf (stayed somewhere nearby).

Are we looking at a three-day or a four-day event? Staying at Sugarloaf simplifies some things, and a one-day drive back-and-forth seems reasonable. Doing it twice... not so much.

There are more moose than people between the two, meaning there's at least one moose.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you want to save a little money, stay in Eustis which is an easy drive to Sugarloaf and a bit closer closer to Saddleback than the valley.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm here to post some stokage from a Gathering at Sugarloaf ten years ago featuring many of the Usual Suspects that are still around. Hard to believe!

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:roflmao:

You are funny. I'm sure the guy who has the Land Art Jesus in Madrid will let you pitch a tent there, you know, between His elbow and His armpit.
I was writing a post about sleeping in a junk car in someone's front yard, but thought better of it. :ogbiggrin:

I did look on Google maps and you are right, not much in-between the two. A lot of adds for Sugarloaf lodging, saying 13 miles from Saddleback, as the crow flies. Google says its 1 hour 20 minute drive between them. About the only option would be in Kingsfield, here for instance,

It would be 25 minutes to Sugarloaf and 55 to Saddleback. Seems like changing hotels makes more sense if a 4 day event. When in Maine, you can't get there from he-ah.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed in the Herbert Grand. A bit (ok, a lot) odd, but I enjoyed it. Wonder what the new owners are going to do with it.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is what happens when I start a stoke thread. James chimes in and next thing you know we're talking about skin disease.

He does seem to enjoy stirring the pot when it comes to Maine.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd probably only be up for 2 days in ME sandwiched between a day on each end at Killington/Sugarbush. It makes the drive more manageable and only adds about an hour each way of total travel time according to Google. I might be willing to stretch it to 3 days in ME if the conditions are good.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With Noah still in school we'll only be able to attend Sat-Sun so I hope that those days aren't at the same location. Whatever works best for the group, though. I've only been aware of Saddleback for a few years thanks to @Tony S but Sugarloaf has been on my bucket list for some time now.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll probably just commute from my place in Auburn ME.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As always It would be fun to check out this event. Maybe this is the year. Hopefully it’s the year for the legendary Sugarloaf Spring snow base. Bracket is unrivaled in the Northeast for its direct access to large acreage of off piste. Saddleback owes me one.

I would move mountains for a last minute DJs day at Cannon.

James

Out There
Instructor
6. Sunday River is arguably the biggest ski area in ME. Its about 1 3/4 hours drive from Saddleback. I do day trips infrequently from SR to Saddleback for some variety.
Sunday River has the Land of Oz!
That’s why people go to SR. And why they leave.
There is a big hotel out there. I think they filmed Shining II: The Scarecrow in it.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With Noah still in school we'll only be able to attend Sat-Sun so I hope that those days aren't at the same location.
It's likely that others will be in the same boat. It makes sense to me that Sugarloaf and Saddleback would get equal billing in that way. They both deserve it, for different reasons.

If folks decide to make a stop at Sunday River part of their journey to and fro, more power to 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.