• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering PSA & Prologue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there any possibility "mid - late March" might mean March 24-27? Asking for a friend who's totally not me that has a 4 day weekend that week.
I don’t have a 4 day weekend but I’m sure I could “work” remotely and make most of it. But yeah, the reason why I asked upthread is because February through April are starting to fill in a bit. That time of March is still free though…

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably the safest way would be to block off the entire month of March for the NE gathering in pen. When the official NE gathering dates are announced. Mark off those dates with a red sharpies.

When March comes around, attend the NE gathering on dates marked in red sharpies and simply go skiing with other friends/family on the dates marked in pen.

KISS.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So are we tentatively saying block off March 24-27 for NEG but it ain’t official yet? @skiki, you seeing this?
I'm not telegraphing anything. There's nothing to telegraph. I'm just saying that when I want to prioritize an event whose exact date is unknown, I put some kind of a guard up around the timeframe so that, for example, I don't volunteer to cover for someone at work or agree to visit relatives. At least not without re-checking to see if the date has been finalized yet.

Basically what KG said, except for the "entire month" part. (The national gathering runs through March 4. I'm guessing that interest in having the NEG directly on the heels of that - weekend of March 11 - will be low. That leaves 3/18, 3/25, and 4/1, basically.)

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
(The national gathering runs through March 4. I'm guessing that interest in having the NEG directly on the heels of that - weekend of March 11 - will be low. That leaves 3/18, 3/25, and 4/1, basically.)
Thank you. This is the information I was after.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll say the NEG will definitely be on 4/1.

That way, when 4/1 comes around and the NEG is already over, I can say "April fools!" and make people hate me.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Tony S has often said that due to the Atlantic Ocean's proximity to Maine, it gets cold there late (i.e., the ocean is keeping things warm) but warm late as well (i.e., once the ocean cools off, it takes a lot to get it warming up again).

Based on that, I would argue that the NEG should be the first weekend of April 2023. But again, it's Tony's show and I'll be there regardless of when's it's held.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to do some homework on events at the Loaf and at Saddleback that might influence our timing. E.g. we probably don't want to go during "national fish toss championships weekend" or whatever.

James

Out There
Instructor
I'm going to do some homework on events at the Loaf and at Saddleback that might influence our timing. E.g. we probably don't want to go during "national fish toss championships weekend" or whatever.
Well the Rasta event is popular at Sugarloaf. Go figure. Don’t know if the large crowds make it out to ski.

James

Out There
Instructor
Probably the safest way would be to block off the entire month of March for the NE gathering in pen. When the official NE gathering dates are announced. Mark off those dates with a red sharpies.

When March comes around, attend the NE gathering on dates marked in red sharpies and simply go skiing with other friends/family on the dates marked in pen.

KISS.
Except if it happens in April, like this year.
Oh right, the endless complaints.
That’s the advantage of no one coming, like the old days pre covid, fewer complaints. Percentage wise, it might be similar.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Except if it happens in April, like this year.

Minor adjustment. Pen in both months.
Ski the red sharpie days with the gang. The pen in days with family and friends.

Like Chuck would have said, "Adapt or be eliminated."

James

Out There
Instructor
There were complaints this past year?
It’s too warm, not enough trails open, too many bare spots…
Maine comes pre approved with a bushel of complaints just getting there. So, if we based the NEG on complaints, we’d never go to Maine.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s too warm, not enough trails open, too many bare spots…
Maine comes pre approved with a bushel of complaints just getting there. So, if we based the NEG on complaints, we’d never go to Maine.
If we were afraid of complaints we'd hold the NEG in Utah. Adversity is the very substance of the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online