• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Peak 88

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tricia:
Length tested: 168 cm
Sizing Scaled
Location tested: Aspen Snowmass/Alpine Meadows
Conditions: Cold chalky snow/boot top powder

This is one of the most referenced ski widths in the industry for a very good reason. It's narrow enough to be a daily driver, and wide enough to venture off piste. In the case of the Peak 88, the referenced width happens to be listed in the 168 length which is an ideal length for me.

When the Peak 88 was first made available to test, I had been skiing another 88 mm waisted ski in this coveted category which made for an ideal test environment. First, I was impressed with the finish on the Peak, but it was time to click in and take it to the snow. Peak Skis does not publish their turning radius, which is something they take pride in. The first few turns revealed a slightly longer turn radius than I was experiencing with the previous ski that I was on, but that wasn't the only difference. The Peak 88 has a nice balance between smooth and playful that isn't often found in a ski. When I had a chance to talk to Bode about the KeyHole™ technology it gave me a better understanding of where these attributes come from, and I quickly found myself playing in the moguls, and letting these beauties run on the long groomers that Snowmass serves up.

The second day I got on the Peak 88 was a surprise powder day when we returned to Alpine Meadows, which is where they showed me yet another place to shine: charging through the Sierra powder and chopped leftovers.
  • Insider tip: Don't dismiss this new brand.

Philpug:
Length Tested: 184
Location tested: Snowmass
Conditions: Old chalky snow

I have been on almost every other 88-90 mm ski that will be offered both all new and carry over and I can say with confidence that the Peak 88 is a top performing option. Most of the 88's I have been on have been in the 178-180 mm length and the Peak 88's were a bit longer at 184 but honestly the Peak offering was one of the compliant 88's I tested in recent memory. it was smooth, agile and extremely quiet.

The shape of the Peak 88 might sound or look familiar to some, the mold is shared with another Elan which makes a bit of sense because the Peak 88 is produced in the Elan factory. That will be the question, then why spend about $150 more for the Peak than the Elan? Well there are a few reasons. The obvious first one is that the Peak integrates Bodes' Keyhole design. The KeyHole™ is a cut out in the top layer of titanal just in front of the toe piece. The KeyHole™ is something Bode has been working in since his days with Rossignol. The KeyHole™ allows the ski to flex a bit more naturally both longitudinally and torsionally to create a smoother transition into the turn. The other design aspect of the Peak that differentiates itself from the Elan is the lack of Amphibio in the design. The additional uphill inside edge control of not have Amphibio combined with the keyhole creates a great combination of control and power.
  • Insider tip: No need to wait for Bode's next project, this is his last stop.

Awards
Who is it for?
Skiers avoiding the "me too" typical ski offerings and looking for a daily driver with the ability to charge.
Who is it not for?
The skeptical and someone who doesn't like to step outside the box.
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
  3. Expert
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
  3. Off Piste
  4. Trees
  5. Touring/Backcountry
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
160, 168, 176, 184
Dimensions
127/89/106
Radius
17.5m@176cm
Rocker profile
  1. Camber with tip and tail rocker
Size Scaling
  1. Construction
  2. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Flat

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I meant was, I wish there were more detail here specific to how particular skis handle, perhaps integrating - or reality checking - with the experience of other testers when possible, just to tell between more and less subjective, to get at the detailed nature of a ski, how it's different also.

(When I've reviewed skis, for example, I don't say anything, especially the ski's limitations, unless I have confirming feedback from other good skiers (as opposed to, say, intermediates reporting on an obvious carving ski, for example).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got an email from Peak the other day (not the first), that might be of interest.

Peak_ByBodeMiller_Horiz_Blue
dt4qcYF4

We Test Skis So You Don’t Have To​

Throughout his racing career, Peak cofounder Bode Miller was able to test and refine dozens of pairs of skis before each season to select the best two pairs. His success was built on that testing, tweaking, and validation.

At Peak, our goal is to provide skiers like you a similar level of service. We test different versions of our skis against each other in a season-long prototyping session. Often, we’ll create a dozen versions of each model. Once we have our picks, we test them against the best skis on the market—repeatedly.

We are so confident that you’ll love the ease of use and top-shelf performance baked into every Peak by Bode Miller ski, that we offer a money-back guarantee on every sale. If they don’t perform like you want them to in the first 30 days of the ski season, you can swap them out for another pair or get a full refund.
david-currier-2
“​
It can take a decade for a new company to produce a ski that merits magazine coverage, let alone excel in every category. In year one, Peak produced six top skis. I've never seen anything like it.”

— David Currier, Magazine Ski Test Director, Olympian
“​
I've been testing skis for 22 years. In the past decade, skis have nearly been homogenized. But Peak skis perform like nothing on the market. KeyHole Technology™ changes everything.”

— Marc Peruzzi, Magazine Ski Test Director
peruzzi

One of my takeaways is the emphasis on a full return policy at any time "in the first 30 days of the ski season" (in addition to a guaranteed deposit refund if you change your mind before the ski ships).

Another is the emphasis on Bode's ability to prototype lots of versions of a model (maybe a dozen with Peak), as his career depended on his discriminating between different race ski versions to pick the best each season he raced, as a foundation of his success.

willy384

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see you put this ski in the middle of finesse and power. How does it hold up on fast/hard groomers compared to a Nordica Enforce type ski? Is the ski more fun/stable than a stable/charger ski?

Thanks for the review!!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
"We test things so you don't have to" is kinda a necessary strapline for a DTC brand that simply is not putting out any demo skis. And the 30 day return is from start of ski season so make your mind up by 15 Dec probably, even if you've only had a few hours on them. Plus they know damn well that few will go to the trouble of stripping bindings off to send a ski back.

Here's hoping they actually put more pairs into soft rep situations like skitalk.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I see you put this ski in the middle of finesse and power. How does it hold up on fast/hard groomers compared to a Nordica Enforce type ski? Is the ski more fun/stable than a stable/charger ski?

Thanks for the review!!
Funny you should make that comparison. On the day when I was skiing the Peak 88 at Alpine Meadows with @socalgal we swapped skis. She was on the Santa Ana 93. Even though it wasn't a fast hard groomer, I could definitely tell a difference in how the added rocker on the Santa Ana 93 engaged.
The days I spent at Snowmass on the Peak 88 were definitely firm groomer world. I was impressed with how stable it remained, more so than the Santa Ana with its additional rodker. Mind you, I don't proclaim to be a super fast skier, but I do enjoy a nice groomer from time to time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I meant was, I wish there were more detail here specific to how particular skis handle, perhaps integrating - or reality checking - with the experience of other testers when possible, just to tell between more and less subjective, to get at the detailed nature of a ski, how it's different also.

(When I've reviewed skis, for example, I don't say anything, especially the ski's limitations, unless I have confirming feedback from other good skiers (as opposed to, say, intermediates reporting on an obvious carving ski, for example).
Since we got the skis late in the season we were limited on the testers who got on them.
You will definitely see more input from other testers in the coming season.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bode has a history of encouraging kids and others with ski race learning experiences.

Seller information​

uncleducky (68)
100% Positive feedback

Atomic Race 5 Bode Miller Kids Snow Blades Skis Salomon C305 Bindings 100 cm
Price: US $101.99

s-l1600.png

2SkiQuiver_GD

Booting up
Skier
Phil, I am 184 cm (6' 1/2") 160 lbs, I am going to buy the 89 cm to be my hardback, bumps, trees and steeps ski. I am on the high end of advanced, low expert. I think the 184 will probably be the length, but if the 176 is stable at speed, maybe that would be better for bumps? What do you think?

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I am 184 cm (6' 1/2") 160 lbs, I am going to buy the 88 for my hardback bumps, trees and steeps ski. I am on the high end of advanced, low expert. I think the 184 will probably bee the length, but if the 176 is stable maybe that for bumps? What do you think?
The Peak 88 is a pretty nimble ski, I think you be fine with the 184. I skied it at Snnowmass in that length and is skied well. I a shorter than you but have a few pounds on ya.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:
I got on this ski not once but thrice this season. When its time to figure out a day serving up mixed conditions, there are a handful of skis that I gravitate to, and this is one of them. The smoothness and solid feel underfoot proved to be confidence inspiring, just what a skier needs in early season crowded WROD conditions. It was easy to maneuver through the moving targets and held up nicely when things got bumpy. This ski has a really big sweet spot.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bode has a history of encouraging kids and others with ski race learning experiences.

Seller information​

uncleducky (68)
100% Positive feedback

Atomic Race 5 Bode Miller Kids Snow Blades Skis Salomon C305 Bindings 100 cm
Price: US $101.99

s-l1600.png
That's kinda cool!!

miatamarty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Got to ski my new Peak 88/184 today at Mt Bachelor. Wow is all I kept saying all day long. Incredible]y smooth. Pick a turn radius of any size doesn't matter. Holds an edge like I couldn't believe. You can go fast or slow, speed doesn't matter. It appears to be idiot proof. My previous ski was a Kastle MX83. It had to get up to speed before the good times would start. Not so with the Peak. I took a leap of faith and it paid off big time.

Sponsor