• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Peak 98

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looking for comments about quality. base , edge thickness, durability, only a few hours for me to commit.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking for comments about quality. base , edge thickness, durability, only a few hours for me to commit.
I tune my own skis, including base flatten. Better than all but a racing specialty shop for racers.

Preliminary take:
I've skied the 98 Peaks a half dozen times or so, and thus don't know about long term durability.
(And I've skied the 110 Peaks maybe 3-4 days, so far.)
But the Crossons I've used for about a year and a half have had no issues. So at least better than average.

Summary: no problems, just great finish and make, with both Peak skis. Nothing to do before skiing them.
Better than all major brands, so far.

Basically, not sure what they do before sending them, but it's as if they came with a free tune and setup,
to higher standards than I've known outside a top race shop.

These arrived seemingly as well made and prepped as the Crossons: I have not touched the bevels, or the base.
Looking down the base, the skis are straight, no warpage.
The wax the Peaks came with was fast and good enough for three half days before waxing and then only because I'm a perfectionist about that, and it's routine for me, and I'm already set up for all that in tune room.
I usually adjust the bevels and wax to suit after a day or two of skiing, and smooth rough edges on the tops.
No need - from how the 110s and 98s ride.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. I have to admit, I like the 110s better than the 98s - for my skier profile.
For an intermediate or early advanced, however, or a one ski quiver for up through mid-advanced,
then the 98s. More all mountain versatile.

I have not had a chance to ski my 104s, which are the ski that has already sold out (both the 184/104 and 104sc), in the longest length.
That would be the ski I'd get for my son, since he already has a frontside ski.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Took the 98/184 Peaks out (first day on them) for a couple of hours on hardish groomers this morning. Its MLK weekend and Breck is packed so the skiing is first chair until the lift lines become annoying or the chair starts stopping. So nothing but groomers today. As Ski Otter 2 has said these skis are good on groomers, They hook up and carve, I need to ask them what the factory bevels are set at. Easy to control turn shape. Easy to slarve if you want that. For a 98 width rockered ski they have the groomer part of the Colorado dialy driver covered. When the crowds go away I'll get them up top and see how the do in the bowls. I'd also like to A/B them with my Ranger 102FRs. Overall very good first impression.

PS i put the true bar to the bottoms they came impressively flat.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Problem is the top generally opens later so gets busy. Then when the top does open on weekends like this every yahoo and his brother thinks "cool dude lets do the T-Bar". Well they sit and fall off, the boarders always fall off.... Then Imperial gets crowded as well not much room up there and you get all the looky lus that shouldn't be there...... Just not worth the aggravation.

James

Out There
Instructor
Problem is the top generally opens later so gets busy. Then when the top does open on weekends like this every yahoo and his brother thinks "cool dude lets do the T-Bar". Well they sit and fall off, the boarders always fall off.... Then Imperial gets crowded as well not much room up there and you get all the looky lus that shouldn't be there...... Just not worth the aggravation.
They need a t-bar to the t-bar. Falloff, too bad. Start over.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowed 5" last night at Breck. Took the Peak 98s out. This is were these skis really shine! 5' on groomers fantastic, once it clums up no problem. I even went through a rock field (sorry bottoms, I can fix you) to access 12" or so untracked, very good. These skis really like soft snow. They are excellent. Great float for a 98, punch through clums on a groomer like they aren't there, quick enough to ski around them if you want. I like these skis. They would make a very good one ski quiver or travel ski for the Rockies.

miatamarty

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not a 98 peak but a 104/178. Had a huge crash on my 88/183 in flat light on my first run today. Best garage sale I've had in a long time. So, I headed back to the car for lots of Advil. Seriously de-tuned me for a while there. I thought I would try the 104's hoping they would be a little more mellow. Snow was hard groomers at Bachelor. Temp in low 20's. Off piste was hideous wind pack. They were more mellow but sheesh they were still ready for anything. Held an edge much better than I anticipated. I think Bode is on to something about not getting wound up with side cut and radius. They carved quite nicely with the turn radius of your choice not the skis choice. Very smooth but there was more tip flutter than the 88's. Not surprising given how much rocker there is in the tip. Just notice it but really not a cause for alarm. I could ski these on a regular basis just because of the fun factor. Very very pleased with both skis. Never been able to buy 2 brand new skis at once. They really complement each other. I owe my wife big time. She's still thinking of what I need to do to pay her back.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
My pair of 184 Peak 98 were mounted on the line with Salomon STH2 13's and tuned 1/3. I have gotten to ski them in the splendid recent Tahoe conditions, where I found the the Peaks to be OK--kind of reminding me of similar sized Enforcers or Rustlers. The Peak 98 offered relaxed smooth turns on soft groomers, were decent in bumps, and handled soft snow to at least boot level. For my skiing style, I prefer the quicker, more responsive feel, and greater rebound energy of the 182 Salomon Stance 96 and 187 Augment/Van Deer 98.

This testing also gave me a chance to remember why using skis over 90mm width on resort groomers is simply not fun for me.....

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My pair of 184 Peak 98 were mounted on the line with Salomon STH2 13's and tuned 1/3. I have gotten to ski them in the splendid recent Tahoe conditions, where I found the the Peaks to be OK--kind of reminding me of similar sized Enforcers or Rustlers. The Peak 98 offered relaxed smooth turns on soft groomers, were decent in bumps, and handled soft snow to at least boot level. For my skiing style, I prefer the quicker, more responsive feel, and greater rebound energy of the 182 Salomon Stance 96 and 187 Augment/Van Deer 98.

This testing also gave me a chance to remember why using skis over 90mm width on resort groomers is simply not fun for me.....
Curious, have you had a chance to ski the Stance 102?

Sponsor