• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 PNW Mini Gathering discussion

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Given there is some interest in a mini-Gathering, let's start a discussion and makes some tentative plans.

There was interest in Lookout Pass with their expansion, and 49 N because @Bad Bob has nice things to say about it, and it seems only logical to include Silver Mt because it's conveniently in between the other two.

As I mentioned in PNW general info and stoke thread, I'm tentatively planning a road trip starting around President's Day weekend. Not that a mini-Gathering has to revolve around my plans, but I'm thinking:

Monday 2/20/23 (President's Day) at 49 N
Tuesday 2/21/23 at Silver Mt
Wednesday 2/22/23 at Lookout Pass

Feel free to make other suggestions on dates and places. Obviously there are people who could only attend on weekends and holidays, and there are people who would only attend mid-week and non-holidays. That said, Gatherings are often things we take time off jobs and other responsibilities in order to spend quality time with our "imaginary ski friends."

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I want to attend some of this gathering. I'm in for the Tuesday/Wednesday and will probably be willing to go to Silver/Lookout on Thurs and Friday also.

I'm less keen on 49 N on Monday, merely because it is a holiday and my son and grandsons will have it off and likely be skiing with me on Mt Hood that weekend and holiday.

But the above plan looks like a good base. I like the idea of staying in one place (Kellogg) and skiing Silver and Lookout for multiple days, so my actual skiing might look like:

Tuesday 2/21/23 at Silver Mt (Part of Gathering)
Wednesday 2/22/23 at Lookout Pass (Part of Gathering)
Thursday 2/23/23 at Silver Mt
Friday 2/24/23 at Lookout Pass

Or something like that .....

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
The only time all season that I have time available is one month after your suggested days. Sometimes it's a pain to be a musician, but I have gigs and rehearsals that I can't miss. Have fun, everyone!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
just back from a swim in Cassis. South of France has been between 25- 31c daily since end of August so making a ski commitment right now isn't really on the top of my agenda

However Presents Day is a weekend I always prefer to avoid at Whistler so it's good timing for me and I'll try to attend.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I want to attend some of this gathering. I'm in for the Tuesday/Wednesday and will probably be willing to go to Silver/Lookout on Thurs and Friday also.

I'm less keen on 49 N on Monday, merely because it is a holiday and my son and grandsons will have it off and likely be skiing with me on Mt Hood that weekend and holiday.

But the above plan looks like a good base. I like the idea of staying in one place (Kellogg) and skiing Silver and Lookout for multiple days, so my actual skiing might look like:

Tuesday 2/21/23 at Silver Mt (Part of Gathering)
Wednesday 2/22/23 at Lookout Pass (Part of Gathering)
Thursday 2/23/23 at Silver Mt
Friday 2/24/23 at Lookout Pass

Or something like that .....
@pchewn you might want to look into Wallace for your base while doing Silver and Lookout. There is more diversity of restraints and lodging, and it is located between the 2 areas. (don't worry they have a brewery too)

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me know if you decide to visit Red. Are you thinking about visiting a few days before Presidents weekend. I should be at Red, but I might drive up to Revy for a few days.

Yes, I'm thinking Feb 17-19 at Red, and if SO accompanies me on that part of the trip we'll spend a night near Nelson and visit the Ainsworth Hot Springs before heading to Rossland. She's not interested in joining a Gathering, and in any event will need to get back to work, so she'll fly home from GEG.

I have a 2br unit (also with a Q Murphy bed) reserved at the Worldmark at Arrow Point (Harrison), about a half hour from Coeur d'Alene. I'll stay there after 49N, it's about a 2 hour drive, but only 45 minutes to Silver Mt and maybe an hour to Lookout Pass.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Are the dates and locations set for this mini-gathering? I'd like to pull the trigger on booking the lodging.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
FYI If anyone is going to Red, The Prestige Mountain Resort, has a stay 2 nights get a third free promo on now. They are a 4 minute drive from the hill and normally about 75% cheaper than staying mountainside. There is also a shuttle from the hotel to the mountain. Just calling this out in case anyone is heading that way. We will be at Red Feb 2-5th for the Jr. National Freeride Comp.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are the dates and locations set for this mini-gathering? I'd like to pull the trigger on booking the lodging.

Well my schedule is set:

Red Mt Feb 17-19 ( planned with my SO alone rather than a Gathering day, subject to change)

Monday Feb 20 (President's Day) at 49 North
Tuesday Feb 21 at Silver Mt
Wed Feb 22 at Lookout Pass

I'll start a roll call thread here.

Mephitblue

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Do you have a base planned for lodging for this gathering? I need to see if I can attend on those dates. It would be nice to add a few new ski areas to my list of places I've skied at.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The night before 49 I will either be staing in Spokane or Chewelah. After 49 I’ll be staying near Coeur d’Alene, more precisely at the Worldmark at Arrow Point 2/20-2/22.

Usually people make their own arrangements for accommodations, if several people are staying at the same place it can be fun, but not at all necessary.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping this thread, now that the ski season is under way. It'd be nice to see some interest. This is a Gathering experiment with a few lesser known, lesser visited resorts rather than one big destination.

This will be my first time to 49. Silver is nice mountain, and I'm looking forward to the new terrain at Lookout Pass.

Ask questions, discuss plans and when you decide to attend the roll call thread is here.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm pretty interested in a trip to Baker if anyone is interested. I've been there once but it was a long time ago.

Sponsor

Staff online