• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Road'n'Gravel Biking

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to put stuff like this in @Tony S Trees thread - but then nah., there's entirely too much and I'm sure everyone is saturated with it. It's like Murano glass in Venice, you know? The eye gets sick ...

View attachment 214600
I’m enjoying the pics of the Eastern fall colors..

Did a Santa Fe Rail Trail ride today (all paved, no gravel). Since I love trains I was hoping to be overtaken by one, but it didn’t happen today.

Looking west towards the Jemez Mtns and Los Alamos:
IMG_0622.jpeg

Heading south:
IMG_0623.jpeg

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’m enjoying the pics of the Eastern fall colors..

Did a Santa Fe Rail Trail ride today (all paved, no gravel). Since I love trains I was hoping to be overtaken by one, but it didn’t happen today.

Looking west towards the Jemez Mtns and Los Alamos:
View attachment 214603

Heading south:
View attachment 214604

Is tracklocross a thing out there yet? Full aero fixies with 33-42 rubber?

There's an event in Md where you race the steam locomotive...

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is tracklocross a thing out there yet? Full aero fixies with 33-42 rubber?

There's an event in Md where you race the steam locomotive...
I gotta check the train schedule so I can ride alongside the train.

There’s also some legit gravel rides outside of town. And this rail trail turns to dirt further south and continues on….will explore that soon.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did my. first "proper" gravel ride today on the dirt section of the Santa Fe Rail Trail. This portion extends 10 miles to the south of the point where the paved path ends, and features lots of rollers, little whoop-de-doos, and some side hits for mtn bikers. It's smooth, with some loose sections and a few minor washouts. I had to walk up one steeper section that featured a blind hairpin curve against a rock wall. No thanks. Even if I had the skills, I'd walk that as there's no visibility ahead on a trail with other cyclists and hikers and dogs.

The beginning of the dirt section, south of I-25.
IMG_0629.jpeg

Heh heh - just proving it's me.
IMG_0634.jpeg

Besides beautiful views, I was treated to these cute painted bluebird houses.
IMG_0636.jpeg

Cholla cactus - common sight in NM.
IMG_0637.jpeg

Headed back towards Santa Fe - with the southern end of the Sangre de Cristo's in the distance, Mt. Baldy and the tippy top of Ski Santa Fe are just visible.
IMG_0638.jpeg

I turned around before the trail's end, and before I was near feeling tired, because, in the past, I ran into trouble (dehydration and altitude sickness after an easy mtn bike ride in CO requiring hospitalization!). It was a little tough to turn around when I was having so much fun, but I'm fortunate that the dirt trail begins only a mile and a half from my house, so there's plenty of rides in the days ahead as I acclimate to the altitude and dry air.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rode the rail trail again today, going a bit further to make 20 miles. I feel comfortably and satisfyingly sore since I was working harder on my climbs. I ran into this guy and his 10-year-old son, both on those electric board thingies, getting ready for snowboard season. They said they can go about 20 miles on a charge and are comfortable on mountain bike single track! Guy is a patroller up at Ski Santa Fe.

IMG_0650.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy the altitude acclimation will come, if it hasn't already.

Short Story: I was in Santa Fe for a conference in ~1989 (gasp!) before you could find out everything about anything with a few clicks.

I skipped a day, rented an mtb, rode up from town to the top of Ski Santa Fe, and came down the Windsor Trail. Great fun, but I didn't really feel very good that evening, and later learned that their summit is at 12,000' -- I was living at 100' at the time. :huh:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wendy the altitude acclimation will come, if it hasn't already.

Short Story: I was in Santa Fe for a conference in ~1989 (gasp!) before you could find out everything about anything with a few clicks.

I skipped a day, rented an mtb, rode up from town to the top of Ski Santa Fe, and came down the Windsor Trail. Great fun, but I didn't really feel very good that evening, and later learned that their summit is at 12,000' -- I was living at 100' at the time. :huh:
That's quite a climb!!!!

Sponsor

Staff online