• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Road'n'Gravel Biking

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This is a philosophical difference about how leisure time is best utilized. Some people find it most refreshing or satisfying to “optimize” (according to whatever metrics they deem important) the use of limited time. That’s you.

I don’t like adding that element to my leisure time since so many other areas of my life are tightly coordinated, planned and scheduled, so I don’t. :cool:

I totally hear you. However if you want to gain capacity, there are proven paths. In my competative career there were definately years where I just took off to recharge.

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Agree 100%. For me, this was true even during my most focussed racing years. Two years of data stuff and I quit that and went to RPE and what my mind/body feedback was dictating. Results were excellent. Plenty of successful pros around today that also eschew metrics (though most are locked at the hip with data).

And that focus on metrics probably allowed you to more accurately assess your subjective gauge of effort.

With regards to pros, I can guarantee you that all have used data at some point. Their training camps are all about objective data. Teams and country's OCs want to protect their investments, and data is one of the tools that their trainers use.

Pros (we have amazing development programs in our mtn town - up to a pro development squad run by a former national team members and MS in exercise science - plus I sleep with a smoking hot trainer every night) have been through the ranks of amateur, sponsored amateur team, pro development team, and finally to pro team. Along the way they have worked with a variety of coaches. Data is a part of that program. And while pros may not be all about data on every ride (few are), it is still a valuable part of their training, regardless if it is twice a week, or every few months as part of an assessment protocol.

I get that it is not for everyone. However if you have limited time, why not hit the nail on the head everytime, and maximize the time and effort that you put in?

Enjoy.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Fyi Blackburn 2fer front light is entirely inadequate for actual lighting. Works ok as an indicator. Re-evaluating my front light choices. Important to have no light bleed and actually lighting power. Will follow up.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Finally have the Domane set up the way I like it. Seat is an inch higher than I had initially set. Seat was killing me. Looked into it further . The smaller size Domanes have wider saddles than the larger sizes... So the 52 I have has a 155mm saddle. Way too wide for me although admittedly I have narrow sit bones. The 54 has a 145mm saddle, still too wide. I put my old fizik 130mm seat and was much happier. I think I need a 135mm and have a line on a Seller Italia Kit Carbonio in that width.

I just don't get why they're wider in the smaller sizes. Women? No offense, just reaching at straws.. you would think larger people have wider sit bones.. :huh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Finally have the Domane set up the way I like it. Seat is an inch higher than I had initially set.

Completely predictable IMO. The cycling body shrinks when it doesn't have miles in the legs. Every season's script looks like : At 1K-2K in the legs, it's saddle and seatpost changes. At 3-4K the cockpit becomes massively annoying and needs to be changed up.

The 54 has a 145mm saddle, still too wide. I put my old fizik 130mm seat and was much happier. I think I need a 135mm and have a line on a Seller Italia Kit Carbonio in that width.

Have you tried the SLR Boost before?

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took people’s advice and rode on lower gears throughout my entire ride this morning, which means that my quads weren’t burnt out trying to get up the hill that stymied me last week. Success. Turns out I’m not in as bad shape as I thought. I mean, I’m not in good shape… but round is a shape. Sometimes the basics are important. Also, remembering that I’m not a 25 year old anymore, which is the last time I biked regularly.

Feeling much better about my ability to complete the Vermont Adaptive Charity Challenge in a few weeks. Just doing the shorter gravel ride, 18 miles, ~1350 feet of elevation gain. Idk if it’s ok to post fundraising links on SkiTalk, but if anyone wants to donate to Vermont Adaptive as part of this fundraiser, please DM me and I’ll send over the link. (Please please pretty please :yahoo:)

Really loving biking for now but I miss skiing at Mad River Glen :(

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I took people’s advice and rode on lower gears throughout my entire ride this morning, which means that my quads weren’t burnt out trying to get up the hill that stymied me last week. Success. Turns out I’m not in as bad shape as I thought. I mean, I’m not in good shape… but round is a shape. Sometimes the basics are important. Also, remembering that I’m not a 25 year old anymore, which is the last time I biked regularly.

Feeling much better about my ability to complete the Vermont Adaptive Charity Challenge in a few weeks. Just doing the shorter gravel ride, 18 miles, ~1350 feet of elevation gain. Idk if it’s ok to post fundraising links on SkiTalk, but if anyone wants to donate to Vermont Adaptive as part of this fundraiser, please DM me and I’ll send over the link. (Please please pretty please :yahoo:)

Awesome! You know, it's demoralizing to grind up a climb for five minutes spinning a gear and you may get passed but it's great fitness training and in a bit you may be passing people. Great job!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tried Nada. That Carbonio is like $400. Going to hope for the best as it's free to me!! :ogbiggrin:

I ask because there's waves of fashion - like everyone is on Flites then everyone is on Fiziks Arione/Antares/Vitesse then everyone is on Spesh Romin/Phenom and now it's Selle Italia SLRs ...

Anyway, feeling a bit adrift because I've missed all the early season anchor events *shrug*

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally have the Domane set up the way I like it. Seat is an inch higher than I had initially set. Seat was killing me. Looked into it further . The smaller size Domanes have wider saddles than the larger sizes... So the 52 I have has a 155mm saddle. Way too wide for me although admittedly I have narrow sit bones. The 54 has a 145mm saddle, still too wide. I put my old fizik 130mm seat and was much happier. I think I need a 135mm and have a line on a Seller Italia Kit Carbonio in that width.

I just don't get why they're wider in the smaller sizes. Women? No offense, just reaching at straws.. you would think larger people have wider sit bones.. :huh:

I seldom ever use the stock saddles that come on bikes. Once you find a saddle that works for your fit, keep using it. If you see that said model is being discontinued, stock up.

I ride Ergon SR saddles (in a S/M width) on all my road bikes and a Brooks Cambium C15 on my gravel bike. They work for me. I was a big fan of the Specialized Toupe but kept breaking the rails on them (note that I was using the S-Works version with tubular titanium rails). The Ergon has been great, though: super comfortable on long rides, long wearing as well.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fyi Blackburn 2fer front light is entirely inadequate for actual lighting. Works ok as an indicator. Re-evaluating my front light choices. Important to have no light bleed and actually lighting power. Will follow up.

Bonty Flare or whatever? Before I threw in the towel on dirt biking, I had one mounted to the front fender. When I put it on strobe, everybody saw me coming through the woods (our trails were all two-way).

Your Domane should have come with little clips (Blendr in Bonty speak) that make mounting super sano.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I think you might have the wrong end of the stick on this one. They're not wider in the smaller sizes. They're lighter (but less compliant) on the heavier (but more compliant) frames.

Weight weenie spec sheet marketing.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I am doing the Vermont adaptive ride as well - road for 87 miles - we should meet up at the party afterwards

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

FYI DMR singlespeed pulleys have a failure mode where the bearing pulls out of the pulley body. Annoying AF, especially when the chain has "organic gravel" residue on it.

Wake up and smell the - wild roses. That's the flowery topnote on the "organic gravel" base :D

1685976945311.png
1685977054865.png

1685977187357.png

^note total lack of chain tension - it didn't start that way.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1686483880239.png

What you're seeing there is the print of the pattern my sweat-drenched hands made. That slot in the center is an actual hole drilled into the handlebar material by galvanic corrosion around the shifter clamps.

The other side doesn't look prettier:
1686484576407.png

same hole, more corroded alu around it. Obviously, on that side I didn't wrap the tape as tighly - back in March.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Went camping in Denali NP over the weekend. Didn't get to go in past 13 mile on the road, was with the rest of the family and doing things with them but I did get to ride back out and back to the campground. Next trip into the park is going to be in the beginning of July and we've got 4 days in at 30 mile and plenty of adventures planned.
20230610_141823.jpg

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did some riding around town this weekend with a friend in preparation for the Vermont Adaptive ride. Stopped at a farmstand en route; the teenager attending the stand was the daughter of our town’s road foreman. She was very surprised that people would want to ride around her sleepy, nothing-special hometown, not realizing that it’s an incredibly scenic and enjoyable place to ride. Very funny.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
When you live in the bush all you see is useless bush full of mosquitoes and black flies. Everyone else sees peace and quiet. Grass is greener kinda thing..