• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Rossignol Hero Master ST (R22)

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug
Size tested: 165cm
Location tested: Snowbird, Ut.
Conditions tested in: Firm groomers

To quote The Birds, “Turn, Turn, Turn!” That is what the new Hero Master ST wants to do, and something it will do over and over until your legs give out by the death of a thousand paper cuts, er….railroad tracks in snow. With the R22 plate, the Hero Master ST is the bridge between Rossignol’s Hero Athlete FIS SL Factory and the more consumer-oriented/pedestrian Hero Elite ST Ti. Confused yet? Well, I know we were trying to get all of these models straight on the back end and unless you have the catalog in front of you, it's tough.

Now, more on the The Hero Master ST. The Master ST will not only reward good skiing but it expose weaknesses in your technique, so make sure you bring your A game and be ready to lay it over and pay the %^&* attention. With its 13 meter radius in the 165 and even tighter as you get into the smaller sizes, you will be able to make a days worth of turns by lunch. Like the FIS skis, the Hero Master comes with Rossignol’s very good R22 plate so you will have to install Look’s Rockerace binding in either the multi directional toe 12 (for lighter skiers) or the single Pivot metal toe’d 15.
  • Insider tip I: Just get the Rockerace 15 Forza.
  • Insider tip II: This is a part of our Long Term Test Fleet so stay tuned for updates.
  • One thing I would change: Make me a better skier.

Who is it for?
As the name implies, this is a Master’s slalom ski.
Who is it not for?
The technically deficient.
Skier ability
  1. Expert
Ski category
  1. Race
  2. Frontside
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
Segment
  1. Men
  2. Women

Specifications

right ad
Available sizes
150, 155, 165
Dimensions
118-67-104
Radius
13m@165cm
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. Dimensions
Construction design
  1. All new
Binding options
  1. Plate
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One more review:

Size tested: 165cm
Location tested: Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe, NV
Conditions tested in: firm crusty groomers early changing through cream cheese to slush

Am I worthy? That was my first thought as I clicked in. My only other experience with a ski remotely like the Hero Master ST was a couple of runs on the excellent Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti at Mammoth. That was fun, really fun. What would this burlier big brother be like? Well, really, REALLY fun! From crispy bullet proof frozen slush groomers in the early morning to piles of cream cheese/slush later on, the Heroes were an absolute blast. With a 13 meter radius they live to turn...a lot. While longer mellow turns are no problem, the fun comes in quick, powerful turns on hard snow. Edge hold seems unending; I never felt a bobble nor did I get any tip chatter on steeper hard snow. Make no mistake, these are strong, burly skis. Do not get into the back seat. Do not let soft snow pile up under the tails as they are not soft and forgiving. They will snap you into the next turn whether you are ready or not. Even at the short length, they ran well going straight without getting deflected by the hard corduroy grooves or even the softening Italian ice.

I now understand the popularity of a short length, short radius, strong ski that so many on the Ice Coast seems to swear by. If a full blown FIS slalom ski seems just a bit too much and the mere pedestrian Hero Elite ST Ti seems a bit too tame, then the Hero Master ST deserves your full attention.

Who is it for: Those who like to turn a lot and know how to do it.
Who is it not for: Skiers who haven't found their edges or center of gravity yet; you won't have fun on this ski.
Insider tip: Get in shape to truly enjoy what this ski can dish out.
One thing I would change: Me. I'm only kind of worthy but willing to learn!

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the additional review, @Andy Mink. I spent a couple of hours at Deer Valley last season on the Rossignol Hero Elite MT TI and absolutely loved the ski. The Rossi reps told me it was only for piste, but the ski was a blast in the the bumps and trees too. I’ve often wondered whether the ski was that good for me or it’s just that any ski would be great on DV’s immaculate corduroy groomers.

In either case, I would love to give the Hero Master R22’s a try.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Long term update: Today was the perfect day to take out the Hero Master ST with no new fresh in while but some fresh blown snow, the Hero lived up to it's name, it skied like a hero and made me feel like one. If I lived on a smaller hill back east or in the midwest, a ski like the Hero would be in my quiver.

I'm not a racer, nor do I play one on the internet so I really didn't push the Hero to near it's capacity but that didn't seem to phase the Rossi a bit, it met me at my needs and was happy to just carve around without a gate in site. I do think that a good amount of people that think they need a World Cup SL would be happy and maybe even better off on a ski like the Hero Master ST.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would love to demo these skis. Probably too much for me, but your long-term update just made me want to try them even more.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: OH BUDDY! These skis are a blast! I took them out for part of the day on some perfect groomers and am glad I did. Endless grip (though the groomers at Mt. Rose are still a bit soft, so...), dead quiet, and not hard to ski slowly as long as you use the edges. They don't care to be played around with; they're made to turn, not slip and slide, though they will tolerate occasional tail pushing. Whether you are laid over or doing a wiggle, they are there for you. Edge to edge is automatic. Think it and it happens. Those who haven't attained a modicum of carving ability need not apply; it won't be fun and these Heroes won't help you advance. The Hero Master ST is for the skier who already has achieved consistent carving skills. For those who enjoy that edge to edge rush, and like it to come quickly, these should be on your short list.

yabadaba

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@Andy Mink @Philpug Hey guys, awesome review! Could you tell me if this ski is worth the bucks (would you buy it) over the HERO ELITE ST TI? Still can't decide with which one I want to replace my old Supershape... Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey guys, awesome review! Could you tell me if this ski is worth the bucks (would you buy it) over the HERO ELITE ST TI?
For me, the difference is in the R22 plate and the binding, so yes.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink @Philpug Hey guys, awesome review! Could you tell me if this ski is worth the bucks (would you buy it) over the HERO ELITE ST TI? Still can't decide with which one I want to replace my old Supershape... Thanks!
I would, especially now that I've achieved Clydesdale status.

Sponsor