• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review 2023 Salomon/Atomic/Armada Bindings

ariktyer

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Interesting. Q: What boot do you have? If it Gripwalk? If so, how grippy is the heel?
I don't think so - they're 2018/19 Salomon xpro 120s. The sole is in pretty good shape, some wear on the heel but the flat parts look good.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I took the bindings in to be release tested, and adjusted to spec it seems like they took a bit too much force to release. For background I'm pretty lightweight, so binding calculators put me at a 6.5 DIN. When I got the skis back it looks like the shop ended up adjusting the toe din to 5.5/5.8ish, and the heel to 6.2/6.5ish. They also reduced the forward pressure a bit so the adjustment screw is no longer flush when the boot is locked. It's now sticking out about ~1.5mm, which I believe goes against the guidelines.

After these adjustments, the bindings pass the release test machine and the release values (but not DINs) are inline with the chart. All of this made it easier to step in, but it's still pretty difficult and I'm not sure I could do it in deep snow without pulling up on the heel lever. Why are these so much more difficult to step into than the Strive/Warden/Griffon/STH demo bindings I've tried?

Anyway it seems like I should be good to ski on them given that the release values are correct - but are all bindings that far off from the factory? I'm curious is this is a normal experience.
What the binding tests at it more important than what the window shows, that is why bindings are tested. I have been using Strive 13 demos, which is the same heel as the 14 retail and have not had an issue. Tricia has but only with her grippy Gripwalk boots.

ariktyer

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
What the binding tests at it more important than what the window shows, that is why bindings are tested. I have been using Strive 13 demos, which is the same heel as the 14 retail and have not had an issue. Tricia has but only with her grippy Gripwalk boots.
Got it - seeing the difference is definitely eye opening for me as to how important getting bindings tested is.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
Does anyone know the delta of the Atomic x var 16/19 race binding?